Claustrophobia going from balconey/window to inside?

april47

If all we could get is an inside cabin, we would not cruise. I wouldn't able to take it.

Enjoy your cruise :cool:

I was offered a inside on Miracle to Alaska last night at a discounted rate. No idea what it costs to upgrade, but its usually more than the difference shown on the real posted rates .. Im going. I really want to see Alaska. This is my chance. Im not staying home.

I had said I would wait until I got a balcony to Alaska .. but the chance was there to book .. so I grabbed it. Probably going solo.

I go back and forth all the time, from inside to balcony and twice to a suite. I would suggest you bring a flashlight - and also be careful, because you might sleep more, it is nice and dark. I never felt claustrophobic in the inside, I prefer a balcony, but I can't always get what I want - and if the choice is to cruise in an interior or not cruise at all - i choose the interior. Bring a flashlight, leave the tv on, get as close to an open deck as you can - and have a great time, no matter what!!

A few cruises ago DH and I booked an inside and my parents had the aft balcony around the corner. On embarkation night I took one step into the int and felt my chest close up, I couldn't breathe and had the single worst panic attack of my life. We asked my parents' steward if he could put a lounger on their balcony (no problem at all) and I spent our entire 3ed anniversary cruise sleeping out on my parent's balcony. :(

DH loved the int and would gladly book it every cruise.

Wow you have taken some long cruises. For longer cruises would probably want to have ov or balcony. Shorter inside is fine.

I specifically listed the length of my cruises to show that even on long cruises being in an inside cabin isn't a problem (at least for me).

Speaking of which, although I don't agree with the saying that once you've been in a suite or a balcony that you can never go back to something lesser, I do believe that once you've been on longer cruises you will never again be content with short cruises of a week or less.

We had a balcony on our first cruise. I am very introverted, and need to spend time away from large crowds in order to recharge. This year money is a bit tighter, and we thought about doing a short cruise in an inside room. Well, my boyfriend kept asking to do a longer and longer cruise, and I kept pushing the category up and up as I was nervous about an inside cabin on a long cruise. So instead of a 4-night inside cabin cruise, we are booked on an 8-night balcony. So much for the budget!

I've had a junior suite on RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas and a balcony suite on Carnival's Fascination.

On Fascination, my Dad had the inside cabin across the hall and I was so surprised on the size compared with what I saw on RCCL's sovereign of the Seas.

We leave in 5 days to go on Conquest in an inside cabin so I'm a little nervous since I am claustrophobic, but the amount of time we personally spent on the balcony did not justify the $200 extra that could be used on drinks or a better excursion.

I cannot understand how an inside cabin can make anyone feel claustrophobic as I feel they are pretty spacious...for a cruiseship cabin that is. Anyhow, some tips if you want to have a little light in the room at night... I brought along a few battery operated candles and put one on the vanity. the soft yellow glow was just enough to shed a little light in the room and gave it a nice relaxing "ambiance". I've also left the bathroom light on and didn't close the door all the way (left about 1/2 an inch so the light would shine through just a little).

I have sailed in Balcony cabins, Ocean View, and inside cabins, and have not had a problem with any of them. I travel solo so I have not done the suite route. They all have their pluses and minuses. I do sleep better in an inside because I like it dark. That said, I usually leave the TV on the bow camera and the music that goes with it. Very relaxing. Travelling solo it does not feel that confining in any of the cabins. My worst cabin ever was actually a balcony cabin, but that was my own fault. I had a guarantee balcony and did not realize that the ship's anchor was next to my balcony until the first few tender ports when the falling anchor chain made it sound like the back of the ship was falling off. LOL

For me an inside room would be like sleeping in a large walk in closet. I am claustrophobic and have to have a balcony so I can get outside anytime I want without having to get dressed and do my hair etc. We spend lots of time on our balcony so the extra costs is well worth it. I like to be out and about but also need my quiet time in my own space while watching the ocean go by.

So for me I don't mind fewer cruises so that I can have a balcony room. No inside room for me even if the cruise would be free!

I too am about to find out if we can book future interior cabins. Our Liberty cruise on 3/17 will be our first non balcony room, and it's our 4th cruise. We have a Lido balcony on the Breeze next February (booked before the Liberty) so I will know I have that to look forward to. Recent price drops would have allowed us to upgrade to OV on this one and still have some OBC but hubby said we have to try an interior at least once, so we are and will use the 280 OBC for fun stuff.

I have a feeling that the tv on bow camera and/or bathroom light will be just fine for us if we don't like the blackness.

One thing I forgot to mention - last year in our interior on the Conquest - we brought a small fan. It was a godsend. It was an oscillating fan and from now on, I am bringing that fan on all cruises, no matter what type of cabin we book. Also on the Conquest, we could hear our neighbors through the walls. They were loud, drunken people, who had bad fights two nights, lasting to the wee wee hours. The fan helped mask part of that - but it was still bad. I was wondering what other people did when their neighbors got loud and obnoxious in the middle of the night. I wanted to call security, DH said no, put a pillow over your head... and go back to sleep.

Archived