Poor port arrivals

Beachbum1944

I always wondered as well that if passengers were late do they have to pay more in port fees for being at the dock longer. Anyone know? Just curious......

Ship's generally won't wait for passengers (except maybe those on a ship sponsored shore excursion).

If they were to build a dock then the cost would be passed on to the cruise lines in the form of higher port fees, which of course would be passed on to us. I'm sure the issue has been discussed and the cruise lines have calculated it out and determined that it's not cost effective.

Cost effective? How about the cruise lines skip that port for a year? How cost effective is that?

The port would loose millions of dollars in port charges and the local economy would definitely take a huge hit.

If that happened I bet you would see a pier built very quickly. And why do we pay port charges anyway when there is no port facility. Its just a tiny dock in grand cayman.

Cost effective? How about the cruise lines skip that port for a year? How cost effective is that?

The port would loose millions of dollars in port charges and the local economy would definitely take a huge hit.

If that happened I bet you would see a pier built very quickly. And why do we pay port charges anyway when there is no port facility. Its just a tiny dock in grand cayman.

In the scenario I used it was the cruise lines determining that it wasn't cost effective, not the port.

I'm bewildered. Is this thread in reference to changes in the established port times or the original schedule as shown in the itinerary? If it is the original itinerary, that is what you booked, so what is the problem. If it is a change in schedule, normally it is beyond the ship's control and they must do what ever is safe and practical.

As far as tendering, has anybody considered the water depth?

Betty

diddlebootjevaren.gif

I'm bewildered. Is this thread in reference to changes in the established port times or the original schedule as shown in the itinerary? If it is the original itinerary, that is what you booked, so what is the problem. If it is a change in schedule, normally it is beyond the ship's control and they must do what ever is safe and practical.

As far as tendering, has anybody considered the water depth?

Betty

diddlebootjevaren.gif

Nothing to be bewildered about. I was just saying that I (and others) would rather arrive at a port early in the morning to be able to see or partake in an all day excursion. Arriving at noon or later and having to depart at around 5 or 6pm is not to our liking.

I'm sorry, I got the impression some were complaining about the hours the ship was in certain ports. My simple logic is: If they booked that schedule, what are they complaining about, it is what they signed up for. If it is a change in schedule, probably everyone on the ship is unhappy with good reason. In reading through, it is difficult to determine why some are not happy thus very bewildering. Please, this is not in reference to specific postings, it is the combination of all postings.

Betty

I have noticed on NCL and other cruise lines that arrival times are horrible to say the least.:confused: I consider arriving at any Caribbean stop at noon or later a waste of a stop. It starts getting dark around 5 or 6 o'clock. Does not leave you much time to do any thing We will be arriving in Jamaica at 12:00. Based on what I have read there is not much to do (safely). We are beach people. Why pay $70 or more to go to an AI to be safe when you have to leave in about 4 hours. If the ships cruised a little quicker over night, they could easily get to the next stop earlier in the morning.

I guess this is enough for my rant. Thanks for reading!!!:rolleyes:

I understand your rant. You would think NCL could get there three hours earlier.

We live on an island off the coast of Georgia, with a beach, and have no desire to cruise to a beach, but I understand why you would have a problem with the arrival time.

We arrived in Santorini at 4pm in July (the day was long) and we were able to see the island in any event. Still, it would have been better to have arrived earlier.

Archived