Norovirus: Voyager

tray

The only thing you can do to try and prevent getting noro is to look after yourself , no amount of your own hand washing will stop that if other people are careless about hygiene , this might sound extreme but I always use my napkin to pick up the serving spoons in the buffet , that alone won't stop it but it may help a little ,I have seen people pick up things from the trays with their hands and put them back ( rolls , donuts ,things like that ) I was horrified , maybe they should employ a crew member to walk around to monitor this sort of behaviour and deal with it that way .

I have seen people pick up things from the trays with their hands and put them back ( rolls , donuts ,things like that ) I was horrified , maybe they should employ a crew member to walk around to monitor this sort of behaviour and deal with it that way .

I have seen this, too, and I go over and take the piece of food with a napkin and put it in the garbage. I watched a woman once on the Rhapsody pick up several pieces of cake in the Windjammer with her hands to look at them, and put them back. ICK! One of the staff had to remind her to use the tongs, was ignored, then had to be reminded a second time before she finally got the point.

I've also had to hand the tongs to children more than a few times.

I have seen this, too, and I go over and take the piece of food with a napkin and put it in the garbage. I watched a woman once on the Rhapsody pick up several pieces of cake in the Windjammer with her hands to look at them, and put them back. ICK! One of the staff had to remind her to use the tongs, was ignored, then had to be reminded a second time before she finally got the point.

I've also had to hand the tongs to children more than a few times.

I don't like confrontation so I have never voiced my opinion , I wish I was braver and could approach these people , It would be so much easier if a crew member was on patrol maybe people would be a bit more careful of what they do ,I once saw a woman pick up an iced tea off the tray at the drinks station take a sip then put it back and pick up a different drink , she must have thought the iced tea was coke , I was gobsmacked , the waiter at the drinks station shouted at her but she seemed oblivious to all this , he removed the drink and looked at me shaking his head , what if he had had his back turned ? Someone else would have taken that drink , eurgh , I try and get to the buffet early before everyone has been milling around all the food , I know I am paranoid but some of the things I have seen would put you off even going in there .

Filthy people who do not wash their hands have norovirus and spread it.

This is the most stupid statement I have ever read on these boards. I can't believe you even had the cajones to say something this assinine.

To all other (sane) posters.... I take a box of those latex gloves. In addition to washing my hands with soap and water many many many times a day, (most certainly always after the bathroom, always before eating)... But if I know I'm going to eat in the windjammer, I throw a pair of those gloves in my pocket. Wash my hands, and just at the door of the windjammer I pull those gloves out and put them on, get my food using the tongs, then when I sit down, I take those gloves off. I've never had norovirus and hope to heaven I never get it.

Just back from the I O S and they are very particular, staff in windjammer come round very often to change the serving spoons and tongs but passengers just want them to get out of they way!!!

Try to use own bathroom wherever poss but on the couple of occasions i used a public loo there was a pre recorded voice saying,Now please wash your hands before leaving this washroom,sad people have to be reminded but the staff really do try to keep the Noro to a minimum.

Archived