Norovirus: Voyager

tray

It's running through my company as well.

I suspect the husband picked it up on our Oasis cruise (he got sick the day we headed home) and then I got it from him and was sick starting Thursday. I was talking to coworkers in another location and they have an outbreak of it as well. Anywhere with lots of people and public areas is a breeding ground, especially if they have a cafeteria (which our offices do).

We are cruising out of NOLA on Voyager in a couple of weeks. Any word on the control of the norovirus....seems to be quieting down?? PLEASE tell me that is true!!!:D

Ships do not have norovirus

Filthy people who do not wash their hands have norovirus and spread it.

Except that's not true. It's a little ignorant to accuse all of the people with it of being "filthy". Normal people also spread it. No one is ever 100% sterile even with hands washed and hand sanitzers. My husband used sanitzers before we entered the windjammer (ironicaly I did not because I have skin allergies) and he was the one that got it on the ship and not me. I then got it from him after we shared a drink. I then went to work not realizing I had it and spread it to a coworker (who is also a heavy hand sanitzer) who then gave it to his wife and child.

This IS the high season for Noro .. . My mother's nursing home is in "lock-down" with no visitors allowed. Over 45 cases of Noro in just one wing. She is 90 years old and she, along with 44 other older folks, have been stricken. They are all in wheel chairs and can't "hurry to the bathroon" ... can you just imagine what an awful situation? ugh. I usually visit her every day but haven't been allowed in for almost a week. sigh . .. .

CalicoskiesNC is exactly right. Hand sanitizer only works on bacteria and not viruses so people who use hand sanitizer think their hands are clean when they are only clean from bacteria. Also, most hand sanitizers sold at stores do not contain enough alcohol to kill bacteria--need greater than 60% alcohol, like hospital grade hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer also does not cut through grime (dirt, blood, feces, body fluids, hand lotion, sun screen, and even previously used hand sanitizer). The big issue is that when hand sanitizer is available, people are more likely to use it and less likely to wash hands with warm water and soap all the while thinking their hands are clean. Hand sanitizers are great for on-the-go, when water/soap aren't available or for extra precaution, but nothing beats good hand washing.

Sorry for the hand hygiene lecture; I'm a surgical nurse.

We have 3 friends on the Voyager right NOW, and they are having a wonderful cruise. No reports of noro, extra cleaning, etc. I think it might have run it's course in the past few weeks with extra cleaning and getting the crew healthy again.

I feel so bad for the crew when they pick this up. They are at risk all the time liviing and working on the ships.

CalicoskiesNC is exactly right. Hand sanitizer only works on bacteria and not viruses so people who use hand sanitizer think their hands are clean when they are only clean from bacteria. Also, most hand sanitizers sold at stores do not contain enough alcohol to kill bacteria--need greater than 60% alcohol, like hospital grade hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer also does not cut through grime (dirt, blood, feces, body fluids, hand lotion, sun screen, and even previously used hand sanitizer). The big issue is that when hand sanitizer is available, people are more likely to use it and less likely to wash hands with warm water and soap all the while thinking their hands are clean. Hand sanitizers are great for on-the-go, when water/soap aren't available or for extra precaution, but nothing beats good hand washing.

Thanks for the useful info.

We got off Voyager Saturday. Had a great cruise and as far as I know, it was a norovirus free sailing. Crew were stationed just inside the doors to the dining room, and windjammer personally squirting sanitizor into your hand. An announcement was made every day reminding everyone of the importance of proper and frequent hand washing to prevent gastrointestinal illness. You're sailing should be fine. The ship is clean, and well cared for. Just remember, wash wash wash your hands, and you should enjoy a fun and healthy cruise.;)

A school a county or two over was CLOSED for 4 days, due to Noro.....this is the PEAK season for this nasty virus! Can't really "control" it....it will run it's course and sort of "die out" on it's own!

Yeah...I realize that is true! Just hoping it's dying out on it's own NOW LOL!!!:p

We got off Voyager Saturday. Had a great cruise and as far as I know, it was a norovirus free sailing. Crew were stationed just inside the doors to the dining room, and windjammer personally squirting sanitizor into your hand. An announcement was made every day reminding everyone of the importance of proper and frequent hand washing to prevent gastrointestinal illness. You're sailing should be fine. The ship is clean, and well cared for. Just remember, wash wash wash your hands, and you should enjoy a fun and healthy cruise.;)

AWESOME news....this is what I was hoping to hear!!! You rock with good news cruisecrazymama!!!:D:D

We have 3 friends on the Voyager right NOW, and they are having a wonderful cruise. No reports of noro, extra cleaning, etc. I think it might have run it's course in the past few weeks with extra cleaning and getting the crew healthy again.

I feel so bad for the crew when they pick this up. They are at risk all the time liviing and working on the ships.

I agree about the crew:)! So happy to hear that nasty virus is hopefully on it's way out!!! We will be diligent with our handwashing and keeping our hands away from our faces!!!

LOL Fleitak! :p I am also a nurse (was Pedi ICU...now work my hubby in his office) and you should see the handwashing thread I started. I just posted a question on why people are so against washing their hands....and it spread like wildfire. It was a different kind of virus!! But mostly all good....a lot of people were shocked to find out people would actually go to the bathroom and not wash their hands (or just use the sanitizer, which we know isn't effective!). I have to admit...this norovirus thing has increased awareness of the spread of germs, I do believe! :p

This IS the high season for Noro .. . My mother's nursing home is in "lock-down" with no visitors allowed. Over 45 cases of Noro in just one wing. She is 90 years old and she, along with 44 other older folks, have been stricken. They are all in wheel chairs and can't "hurry to the bathroon" ... can you just imagine what an awful situation? ugh. I usually visit her every day but haven't been allowed in for almost a week. sigh . .. .

Oh my gosh, what an awful situation. Poor residents. I will keep your mom and the others in the nursing home in my prayers. They are even more susceptible than many!

Yes, I understand that ships do not have the norovirus. But I am hopeful the passengers and crew are all diligently washing their hands (with soap and water) and keeping their area sanitary as much as they possibly can. I was just wondering if the # of people reporting GI problems have decreased, that's all.

It's running through my company as well.

I suspect the husband picked it up on our Oasis cruise (he got sick the day we headed home) and then I got it from him and was sick starting Thursday. I was talking to coworkers in another location and they have an outbreak of it as well. Anywhere with lots of people and public areas is a breeding ground, especially if they have a cafeteria (which our offices do).

Sherilyn: hope you guys feel better soon. That is such a miserable virus!

What concerned me though was when I was at Sorento's on the Oasis and we saw one of the girls that was making the pizzas come out, pull a bottle of syrup out of her pocket, read the instructions then take a swig out of it and returned right back to work. So I suspect the crew isn't being exactly forthwright about when they're not feeling well and keep on working when they're sick. This happened on Friday before we debarked or I probably would have said something to someone about it.

We got off Voyager Saturday. Had a great cruise and as far as I know, it was a norovirus free sailing. Crew were stationed just inside the doors to the dining room, and windjammer personally squirting sanitizor into your hand. An announcement was made every day reminding everyone of the importance of proper and frequent hand washing to prevent gastrointestinal illness. You're sailing should be fine. The ship is clean, and well cared for. Just remember, wash wash wash your hands, and you should enjoy a fun and healthy cruise.;)[/quote

My mom got off Voyager on Saturday. She got the norovirus and was sick starting Wednesday night. She was quarantined in her cabin all day Thursday. the cruiseline is giving her a credit towards her next cruise as a apology for her getting sick. she is assuming that there were other cases, but the medical staff wouldn't tell her.

We are just off the Voyager, there were a lot of precautions being taken, but we had no problem with the virus. We also did not hear of any cases either while onboard, or in port.

I found it interesting that the cabin stewards had quit vacuuming the cabins. I wondered why I did not see the cute little vacuums sitting in the hallway, as on past cruises. Our cabin steward said they were not able to vacuum due to the chance of spreading the virus. It is amazing the things I don't even think about.

You will have a great time. The cruise was wonderful. With the exception of the fog on the river. I was more worried about that, than the virus.:eek:

Archived