Lee Harvey Oswald and the Maasdam

mamaofami

Did you know that Lee Harvey Odwald traveled from Russia to the US on the Maasdam? DH is reading a book by Stephen King called 11/22/63. This blurb was found when I googled Maasdam and lee Harvey Oswald.

Lee Oswald, through with being a defector to Russia got a loan from the State Department for almost $500. Him, his wife Marina, and their month old Daughter June, traveled back to America on the SS Maasdam, a Holland America luxury liner. There is an SS Maasdam ship is still in service, though a completely rebuilt vessel from the one Oswald and family sailed on.

Interesting that there is that connection between HAL and Oswald. Probably some trivia that the cruise line would rather not think about even though it was years and years ago. Luckily it was a Maasdam rather than the Maasdam of today. Still a bit creepy though. I get a different but still creepy feeling when I see pictures of the SS America wreck knowing that it was my first "cruise" ship back in the early 50's and I once walked her decks.

Did you know that Lee Harvey Odwald traveled from Russia to the US on the Maasdam? DH is reading a book by Stephen King called 11/22/63. This blurb was found when I googled Maasdam and lee Harvey Oswald.

Lee Oswald, through with being a defector to Russia got a loan from the State Department for almost $500. Him, his wife Marina, and their month old Daughter June, traveled back to America on the SS Maasdam, a Holland America luxury liner. There is an SS Maasdam ship is still in service, though a completely rebuilt vessel from the one Oswald and family sailed on.

Interesting! I have the book but haven't started reading it yet. Also going on the Maasdam for the first time in April and I'm glad it isn't the same Maasdam too.

The MAASDAM (4) built 1952 sailed for HAL until 1968 when she was sold to Polish Ocean Lines and renamed STEFAN BATORY. Rebuilt? Well, slightly... new funnel and masts and a slight altered bridge front. The rest was left almost completely intact.

I sailed in the ship on her final voyage for POL in 1988. Fantastic! The matress in my inside cabin still had the HAL logo printed on it. No facilities in the cabin other than a wash basin. The ship was immensely popular in spite of the lack of what we all take for granted today. She was sold by POL, laid up and eventually scrapped 1990.

Small ship, only 15,000 tons but carried 39 in First Class and about 850 in Second.

Hey Mr. Sails7Seas...I keep reading posts here talking about your fame! I'm new to HAL so, how did you become famous? I'm so curious! Are you one of those cruisers who have been on like a jillion cruises? Because frankly, that just makes me sad...only because I know that I'm going to have to work a long, long time to catch up!!

Okay, I think I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket today.:D

Oh wait...I have to go to work first...(big sigh)

Hey Mr. Sails7Seas...I keep reading posts here talking about your fame! I'm new to HAL so, how did you become famous? (big sigh)

Shelley: You'll quickly come to recognize the screen names of frequent posters here on CC... there is a vast amount of very helpful people, a few nut balls, and a small amount of gracious, tactful, concerned, loyal, and smart posters... several of which are on this very thread... it just so happens that Sail is one of the most admired and respected.

Just don't ever, and I mean ever, criticize her Maasdam...

Great book...and to me more like his earlier ones:) Although I've been on the current Maasdam don't remember reading about the name of the ship he came to America on...interesting tidbit!!

I agree, it was just what I was thinking (I read the book twice already!). I will be on Maasdam next week :D

Shelley: You'll quickly come to recognize the screen names of frequent posters here on CC... there is a vast amount of very helpful people, a few nut balls, and a small amount of gracious, tactful, concerned, loyal, and smart posters... several of which are on this very thread... it just so happens that Sail is one of the most admired and respected.

Just don't ever, and I mean ever, criticize her Maasdam...

Absolutely noted! LOL...no worries, I've never been on the Maasdam, but I'm sure she's a beautiful ship! I have done a bit of cruising, but again, this is my first HAL experience coming up and we simply cannot WAIT! Of course just to start things off on the right foot, we ordered up an SC Deluxe Wrap Arount Aft Suite. I figure, why not just start at the top? Now the only problem is how to pay for subsequent trips knowing that I'll probably never want to stay in anything else!

Hi Shelley, :D

It's Mrs. sail7seas ;)

Welcome to HAL CC forum. Pull up a deck chair and stay a while

pssst..... Hope you like Eurodam as much as we do. Had some great cruises on her.

So sorry Mrs. S7S!

Thanks for the offer of the deck chair! (I like just even saying the words "deck chair"...it's been so long since I've sat in one!).

A question: So it's quite clear that you're a fan of the Maasdam, but you also seem to like the Eurodam. Can you tell me the differences? I can tell already that my DBF (both in our early 50's) and I are going to love the refined feel of the HAL fleet, so I'm rather curious about what makes a person loyal to one HAL ship over the other. It seems that folks here have definite favorites and are quite loyal to their chosen ships.

I'm intrigued about this book and just ordered it on Amazon. I don't usually like Stephen King but if he mentions Maasdam, I'm sure to like at least that part. :)

it's very different from the books people usually associate him with.

It got me daydreaming: what if I could go back in time, knowing what I know now....

It's great reading about way back when...and all the things that have changed so much. There are a lot of neat parts in it that remind me of all the smoking threads on this board :D

Archived