Birth Certificate

pbarefoot

I asked my local DHEC and they said I needed the long form birth certificate to get on a cruise. They said my wallet sized one would not work. It this true? This will be my second cruise but I remember using my wallet one last time.

In SC, the state only certifies the long form for travel purposes. The card sized one is not accepted for passport applications. That said, the cruise port has often accepted the card sized ones for cruises. The only problem is you cannot know if or when that may change. To be absolutely certain your BC is accepted on the day you cruise, you should get the long form.

It has the embossed seal on it it will work! I travel with all original BS, marriage licence, divorce paper, I want all my basis covered!

Many states no longer use an embossed seal due to security reasons and to reduce the chances of it being counterfiet.

The BC has to be issued from a government agency with all the proper markings for that specific state. It could be an embossed seal or it could be markings actually imbedded into the paper itself during the printing process to reduce the chances of it being counterfiet.

My state no longer uses embossed seals and my BC works just fine when boarding a cruise ship.

speaking of birth certificates - I am going on my first cruise in 2 months. This may be a silly question but will I need to carry this around with me to go ashore and reboard the ship?

Would suggest making a copy to carry with you when ashore. leave the original back in your cabin's safe.

Just make certain you return to the ship well before final boarding time. Also that you have changed your watch to the ships time. Otherwise you will wish that you had a passport with you as you're standing on the pier waving goodby to the ship.

This is my first Cruise and we have our passports, so do we still need to bring our birth certificates ??

No, the passport is the end all and be all of travel id.

speaking of birth certificates - I am going on my first cruise in 2 months. This may be a silly question but will I need to carry this around with me to go ashore and reboard the ship?

You need a photo id and your cabin card to reboard the ship.

Absolutely not. Keep it in the safe on the ship. If you lost it on shore, so many bad things could happen, like it being used to apply for false passports and all that.

Archived