Big Mistake? Will I regret this?

divngmedic

OK booked our second and third cruise the 13th of this month. Sailing on the Valor our Miami on June 17th and June 23rd. First sailing has stops in Key West, Grand Cayman and Monetego Bay. Family has been to Key West once for land vacation and I have been there a few times on dive trips. So not much new there. Will get off the ship, find some Key Lime pie, buy some Key Lime juice to bring home and make even more Key Lime pie. Our family loves Grand Cayman so that stop will be great. We have done a land vacation and cruise stop to Jamaica we will most likely stay on the ship.

Second leg is St Thomas,Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. We have been to the Bahamas a few times and we are not very thrilled with that island chain, so again, another day to enjoy the ship. Our family is not much of a beach family. Seem about all there is to do on these stops are beaches. I have searched Carnival excursions, looked at excursions via the internet on my own. My wife is not that big of a shopper ( few small souvenirs like playing cards and shot glasses).

I am having a hard time finding excursions that we can do as a family. I am wanting to sneak off for a day in either St Thomas or Antigua and do a two tank dive trip.

I am thinking that this route is a mistake or that I will end up regretting this route. My wife has been a great sport for years and gone to places where I have gone to go diving. So I am giving back and have cut back from 25 plus dives a year to about 5.

So a little input here would helpful and grateful.

OK booked our second and third cruise the 13th of this month. Sailing on the Valor our Miami on June 17th and June 23rd. First sailing has stops in Key West, Grand Cayman and Monetego Bay. Family has been to Key West once for land vacation and I have been there a few times on dive trips. So not much new there. Will get off the ship, find some Key Lime pie, buy some Key Lime juice to bring home and make even more Key Lime pie. Our family loves Grand Cayman so that stop will be great. We have done a land vacation and cruise stop to Jamaica we will most likely stay on the ship.

Second leg is St Thomas,Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. We have been to the Bahamas a few times and we are not very thrilled with that island chain, so again, another day to enjoy the ship. Our family is not much of a beach family. Seem about all there is to do on these stops are beaches. I have searched Carnival excursions, looked at excursions via the internet on my own. My wife is not that big of a shopper ( few small souvenirs like playing cards and shot glasses).

I am having a hard time finding excursions that we can do as a family. I am wanting to sneak off for a day in either St Thomas or Antigua and do a two tank dive trip.

I am thinking that this route is a mistake or that I will end up regretting this route. My wife has been a great sport for years and gone to places where I have gone to go diving. So I am giving back and have cut back from 25 plus dives a year to about 5.

Even though you are not much of a beach person, I would check out the Baths in Tortola, it's beautiful! Antigua, well they are known for their beaches and we did have a beach day there (horseback riding on the beach) it was nice, but I wouldn't do it again. Maybe look for zip lining or something in Antigua, not sure if they have that there. St. Thomas, it's not my favorite port, but maybe thats because I've been there twice and never did much. But I would look into doing a tour, there are some real popular companies if you look on the port of call boards for St. Thomas.

Even though you are not much of a beach person, I would check out the Baths in Tortola, it's beautiful! Antigua, well they are known for their beaches and we did have a beach day there (horseback riding on the beach) it was nice, but I wouldn't do it again. Maybe look for zip lining or something in Antigua, not sure if they have that there. St. Thomas, it's not my favorite port, but maybe thats because I've been there twice and never did much. But I would look into doing a tour, there are some real popular companies if you look on the port of call boards for St. Thomas.

Our daughter is an equestrian and not looking for horse riding. The wife is very scared of heights so zip lining is out of the question. I have lurked at the port of calls board at those places and 90 percent if about beaches.

In Montego Bay Jamacia, We did the Jungle River Tubing excursion. All 4 of us loved it. 30 minute bus ride up a mountain. 10 or so tubes tied together, the guide goes backwards and tells you about all the plants and history stuff. 2 hour tubing down the river with rum punch for the adults, regular punch for the kids. Guide pulled us over to a little bamboo pier and went over the hill, he came back with a big Jamacian farmer carrying a stalk of sugar cane and a bunch of bananas for us all to share. Exciting bumpy ride in the back of an old truck holding your tube, back to the starting point. A couple of months after we got home, that exact excursion was picked as 1 of the top 10 cruise excursions on the Travel channel. We all 4 got to relive the experience watching it on TV.

In Tortola you can see Mount Healthy Windmill or Fort Recovery. Both places have great architecture and are very interesting to see.

In Anitgua take a jeep tour. This is one of my favorite islands.

I agree with others, no cruise booked is a mistake. Have a great time. I would love to do a b2b!

In Montego Bay Jamacia, We did the Jungle River Tubing excursion. All 4 of us loved it. 30 minute bus ride up a mountain. 10 or so tubes tied together, the guide goes backwards and tells you about all the plants and history stuff. 2 hour tubing down the river with rum punch for the adults, regular punch for the kids. Guide pulled us over to a little bamboo pier and went over the hill, he came back with a big Jamacian farmer carrying a stalk of sugar cane and a bunch of bananas for us all to share. Exciting bumpy ride in the back of an old truck holding your tube, back to the starting point. A couple of months after we got home, that exact excursion was picked as 1 of the top 10 cruise excursions on the Travel channel. We all 4 got to relive the experience watching it on TV.

I second river tubing, tons of fun! I think we did the same one as you last year while on the Liberty but I could be wrong. All I remember was doing tubing down the white river, it was tons of fun! And beautiful!

If your family is into cruising - and I assume they are. Then they will enjoy having a empty ship to themselves in the Bahamas. Just to stretch your land legs you could do something fun with the kids - even though your wife isn't into shopping- my son is into free stuff. Plus they may want a t-shirt from those islands. I usually go to the shop talks and figure out where is handing out what. We map out what were getting and my son and then head into port and collect all the free trinkets the shops hand out. If you aren't doing an excursion - then you can even stay at one of the jewelry stores for their drawing. (You have to be present to win and usually there's 2-4 people standing - so we have won a couple of times)

We call it Speed Shopping. We make it a game. It's a fun thing we enjoy. Cruising Alaska, he collected "gold coins" - it is a nice collection. I keep all of the trinkets in a little container from the trip. I have recently reminded him (he's almost 16) that he has a few nice things that he could use as gifts (for girls) :rolleyes: instead of spending his money.

We did the Sunny Liston tours in St. Thomas. (it was very lively!) It was a nice way to see the island. They have a "stay at the beach" option. My son is not a beach person so we did not stay.

One thing I did was collect a very small bit of sand from each beach we visited. When we got home, I put in order of visit, each bit of sand. It sits on my mantle at home and I love looking at all the differing types of sand.

Your Eastern leg is much better than your western leg. The diving in the BVI (Tortola) is incredible. From Tortola go to Virgin Gorda to the Baths, or take a day trip to Jost van Dyke.

St. Thomas go to St. John.

We did a snorkel trip in Antigua and it was nice. I think that you will have no trouble finding what you are looking for, just check the ports of calls boards.

Been there, done that.

Your Eastern leg is much better than your western leg. The diving in the BVI (Tortola) is incredible. From Tortola go to Virgin Gorda to the Baths, or take a day trip to Jost van Dyke.

St. Thomas go to St. John.

We did a snorkel trip in Antigua and it was nice. I think that you will have no trouble finding what you are looking for, just check the ports of calls boards.

Wife does not snorkel.

In Tortola you can see Mount Healthy Windmill or Fort Recovery. Both places have great architecture and are very interesting to see.

In Anitgua take a jeep tour. This is one of my favorite islands.

I agree with others, no cruise booked is a mistake. Have a great time. I would love to do a b2b!

I will look for those, I do not recalling seeing those tours listed on the Carnival site or on any of the sites I found on the internet.

The Baths are awesome in Tortola. Big boulders for natural rock formations that you can hike through. The water line comes up inside the formations giving you an opportunity to wade through some areas. Nice place to explore.

Antigua has some nice island tours to see some of the historical sites.

Sonny Liston tours are a pretty good way to explore St Thomas.

For Tortola, I would highly recommend a trip to the Baths over on Virgin Gorda, or else spending a day on what I believe is the most relaxing place on earth: Jost Van Dyke. It is a beach, but there are several waaaay laid back bars there (including some serve yourself bars). You can chill out there. Get away from the Soggy Dollar bar and head down to Ivan's Stress Free bar, or any number of other really laid back places.

For Tortola, I would highly recommend a trip to the Baths over on Virgin Gorda, or else spending a day on what I believe is the most relaxing place on earth: Jost Van Dyke. It is a beach, but there are several waaaay laid back bars there (including some serve yourself bars). You can chill out there. Get away from the Soggy Dollar bar and head down to Ivan's Stress Free bar, or any number of other really laid back places.

13 year old with also. Bars not the ideal place to take her.

I know you said you don't like beaches, but for the Nassau stop, why don't you go to Atlantis for the day. The water park is amazing and even if you don't get wet, you could spend the day walking around the grounds. We are visiting st. Thomas for the first time this trip, but we are going to coral world for the sea lion encounter. They also have dolphins and sea turtles you can swim with, besides the aquarium itself.

But I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter what you do. At least you're not working!

I know you said you don't like beaches, but for the Nassau stop, why don't you go to Atlantis for the day. The water park is amazing and even if you don't get wet, you could spend the day walking around the grounds. We are visiting st. Thomas for the first time this trip, but we are going to coral world for the sea lion encounter. They also have dolphins and sea turtles you can swim with, besides the aquarium itself.

But I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter what you do. At least you're not working!

Atlantis is outrageously expensive. Daughter has already done a dolphin camp.

13 year old with also. Bars not the ideal place to take her.

She would be fine there. Especially at Ivan's Stress Free bar. People would just be quietly chilling out. Ivan's is also a hotel and maybe camping? Hammocks, tire swing, picnic tables. Just relaxing - it is by no means a loud bar with adult conversations or anything.

Another bar I can't remember the name of had the owner's kids playing inside (inside is loosely defined at there is basically three walls and a thatch or tin roof. The side facing the beach is open - floors are all sand.

Ivan's is an honor bar - you go in make your drink, keep your own tab and pay - no bartender.

The Baths is really fun too, it is a series of rock formations that feel like caves that lead you out to a nice bay. Probably fun for your daughter. It is on Virgin Gorda.

She would be fine there. Especially at Ivan's Stress Free bar. People would just be quietly chilling out. Ivan's is also a hotel and maybe camping? Hammocks, tire swing, picnic tables. Just relaxing - it is by no means a loud bar with adult conversations or anything.

Another bar I can't remember the name of had the owner's kids playing inside (inside is loosely defined at there is basically three walls and a thatch or tin roof. The side facing the beach is open - floors are all sand.

Ivan's is an honor bar - you go in make your drink, keep your own tab and pay - no bartender.

The Baths is really fun too, it is a series of rock formations that feel like caves that lead you out to a nice bay. Probably fun for your daughter. It is on Virgin Gorda.

Thanks will keep that in mind.

Archived