Oceania vs Cunard Grills

Glenndale

Hi, Would anyone who has experience of both Oceania and the Cunard Grills give me some pointers on the differences and similarities please.

I'm considering the Nautica.

On an R class ship, which the Nautica is, you'd need to be in a stateroom category above a Penthouse, for the experience to be anywhere similar to Grill Class on the Queens.

On Oceania, the big suite passengers don't dine in a designated Grill Room, as they do on Cunard, and therefore all of the fripperies such as a "Jam trolley" are not a part of the deal.

Oceania does not encourage "off the menu" requests in the same way that Cunard does either.

Unless you are a stickler for formality, you probably won't notice much of a difference between the two lines in the food or service at breakfast, lunch, or at the Buffet.

Dining in your Suite, or in a Specialty restaurant, I'd give the upper hand to Oceania. Only at dinner in the Queens Grill Dining Room itself, would I say that Cunard rises to the top because in that smaller dining room, they are able to offer such intensely personalized service.

QV+Courtyard.jpg

This is particularly true on the Victoria and the Elizabeth where the Grill Terrace and Grill Courtyard can be so enchanting.

We have traveled QM 2 six times, and Oceania three times, last on Marina. IMO, Oceania's Marina beats Cunard. We were in Queen's Grill, Princess Grill, Britannia Club, and PH3 on Marina. On the Queen, you will have the same table in all those venues, but with the exception of Todd English for an extra fee, and the food court and Lido, that's it. True. You can dine en suite, and you will have a private bar for tea and cocktails. The restaurants on the Marine were excellent, and with no surcharges. On the Queen, the main menus are the same in all dining rooms. The difference is the a la carte menus in each restaurant. Higher categories have more items, culminating in the offerings in Queen's Grill. In Queen's, it is also much easier to get off menu items if you let the Maitre De know a bit in advance. If you have to have caviar every day, this is your place. However, the Terrace Cafe has quite a selection for casual dining, including lobster every day. In any case, you won't starve to death in either setting. Enjoy.

I feel that the Grills are superior to the Marina but not by much. With reference to the Grills, you have the same table each night. The service is superior. The wait staff is more attentive. Although the menus are the same in all the QM2 restaurants, the kitchens are different. The Grills always honored special requests. And, the pace was more leisurely. With that being said, the Grills tend to be very formal with the least casual dress being a jacket without a tie which became a little tiresome. I believe we had 4 formal nights on a 10 day cruise. I liked the variety of dining venues on Marina and dress was more comfortable. As far as food quality, I give the slight edge to the Cunard Grills but this is very subjective. What is nice with Oceania is that passengers traveling in an inside cabin have the same dining options as those in the Owner's Suite which eliminates the class structure of Cunard which some find pretentious.

I've sailed on QM2 twice in QG & "O" three times in PH grades.

I found the standard QG cabin (Q5-Q7 grades) to be better than a PH on an "R" ship, but I thought the PH on Marina to be a much better use of space & better thought out than the QM2 equivalent.

Oceania's Butlers are also more flexible & use their initiative more than their Cunard counterparts. "O" room service breakfast is also far superior than QG.

The QG restaurant is pleasant enough but the staff can be patronising at times. Apart from the tableside "show" dishes e.g. flambes, dover sole etc. the menu, whilst excellent, is quite heavy & old fashioned....more about what you "should" eat rather than what you "want" to eat. The high point though was unlimited caviar.....I must have eaten my fare's worth :D

I do find there is a complacency about Cunard & their staff...they seem to rely on past tradition & reputation a little too much; wheras in reality the product has changed radically and fares have lowered accordingly. It has its high points, but it's hardly the authentic ocean liner experience - that went with the United States, the France & only lived on with the QE2 until the Carnival takeover.

I still like the odd formal night, but after a 12 night & an 8 night cruise on QM2 I find I enjoy "country club casual" so much more than donning the tux every second evening. Fellow passengers also seem to be better dressed on Oceania & are certainly a lot more at ease.

I can agree with most of the previous posts. While the food in QG is excellent the formality is too much. While we enjoyed that one cruise, which was deeply discounted, we would not do it again. I will take a PH3 over QG and save money in the process.

Thanks for all the replies. We have gone ahead and booked, by the sound of it we will have an enjoyable holiday.

I will miss the formal nights on Cunard and past passenger events and from what I can gather the evening entertainment can be a little lacking (compared to Cunard) but as it is a very port intensive cruise I doubt that it will be a big deal.

How dressy will it be? :confused:

OK, I understand that no jackets are required and I'll certainly leave my formal wear at home for our next Cunard cruise but a few pointers would be appreciated.

How dressy will it be? :confused:

OK, I understand that no jackets are required and I'll certainly leave my formal wear at home for our next Cunard cruise but a few pointers would be appreciated.

People dress nicely

No jeans, shorts, sweats or T shirts for dinner (some are allowed in the Terrace )

No sneakers & beach sandals for dinner & you should be fine

People dress nicely

No jeans, shorts, sweats or T shirts for dinner (some are allowed in the Terrace )

No sneakers & beach sandals for dinner & you should be fine

Yes I get that, I would never dress for dinner in the above attire but what would be considered over the top i.e. too dressy?

Yes I get that, I would never dress for dinner in the above attire but what would be considered over the top i.e. too dressy?

For me it would be ballgowns or long fancy dresses

But I have seen a few on Oceania so you can dress up as much as you wish

but not dress down too far :D

Over the course of 5 or 7 years, I've seen the occasional evening gown and one or two tuxedos, but the people obviously felt out of place (and sometimes changed clothing mid evening).

Ladies have it easier, because there are gowns and there are gowns, but I'd suggest keeping it very simple and leaving the Tux at home, unless you are brave enough to stand out.

I would recommend a jacket for men, but no need for the tie. You do not need a jacket, but they are far from uncommon. It does depend a little on the itinerary.

I would say a majority of men do not wear jackets. I LOVE not having to pack a jacket, and the casual dress. If one enjoys being more formal , of course that is fine, but there is certainly no necessity for wearing a jacket.

Being of the female persuasion, I like to dress up for dinner but not TOO much. I don't want to drag along a formal gown (and I didn't do so even when we were on ships that had formal evenings), but I do like to wear a long skirt. When I was a little girl I dreamed of having lived in the times (like the 18th century) when women dressed to the nines ... as an adult I got over that!

So I take some "casual-semiformal" outfits, or a long skirt/culotte with a dressy top. That's easy to carry and makes me feel celebratory without being overloaded with a formal gown and everything else that entails. (Like LOTS of different shoes! Besides, since I blew out my knee in November 2005 I don't do heels. period.)

And DH doesn't mind a sports jacket sans tie ...

That works for us!

Back in the day we would do a Cunard cruise despite the formal evenings. Now we won't consider it. (And then there is the smoking issue ...)

Mura

I enjoy wearing a sport coat occasionally (Betsy says I do so to try to hide my pot belly ;)), but I'm liable to wear it with chinos and boat shoes with no socks. I do tend to wear long sleeve button shirts in the evening rather than golf or polo shirts, but there is nothing wrong with the latter for those who choose to wear them. One of my sport jackets is black, and I have matching black slacks, so if there is an occasion when I need to be a bit more dressy, I can fake a black suit -- just don't count the number of buttons on the sleeve :p. I also have a dressy "Miami Vice" style tee shirt that I can get away with wearing to dinner because I throw a jacket over it.

If anyone comments about your dress, whether over- or under- dressed, they don't have the proper Oceania spirit. Frank Del Rio (chairman of the board of the parent comnpany) is supposed to have said that if anyone wears a tux, he'll be mistaken for a waiter...

Being of the female persuasion, I like to dress up for dinner but not TOO much......

Mura

Being of the female persuasion myself I STILL love to dress up but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe I could pack some 'semi-formal' dresses for our speciality restaurant evenings?

:)

Being of the female persuasion myself I STILL love to dress up but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe I could pack some 'semi-formal' dresses for our speciality restaurant evenings?

:)

That is the beauty of Oceania you can pretty much wear what you feel comfortable in .... be it casual, dressy, semi formal or formal

It is a personal choice

Lyn

There was a story here not too long ago about an elderly gentleman who was somewhat confused and came to the dining room wearing his boxers ... I forget whether he had his dress shirt on as well. But the staff handled the matter with consideration. (I forget the specifics of the situation but the thread received a lot of attention at the time.)

You really CANNOT wear the wrong thing (bearing in mind the restrictions at dinner regarding t-shirts,bathing suits, etc.), and if you want to feel elegant -- that's fine! I like seeing the classy outfits myself.

Archived