An insult or just a new policy?

Orator

All of you have a great next cruise, whether new, select, elite, diamond, vip or whatever.:)

Azulann, my quoting of your words is not directed at you; rather your words assist me in what I would like to say.

Labels, labels, labels. That's all words like "new, select, elite, diamond, vip" are. None of those labels make any one person a better or a lesser person. The use of those words lead to biases towards some cruisers and discrimination against others.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a cruise where all passengers were treated equally, with sincerity, dignity and respect? Instead, all these loyalty programs have accomplished is to divide passengers into categories, put a label on them which prompts feelings of superiority for those with the higher end label and inadequacy for those with the lower end label. On these forums, all too often one reads the braggarts' posts who continually boast that "I/We am/are Elite, Diamond, Diamond Plus, blah blah blah" but when was the last time you read multiple posts by those posters bragging that the are "gold, classic, blah, blah, blah".

Me? If I must have a label attached to my presence on board, I would much rather board a ship with the label "human being" and be treated with fairness, equality, dignity and respect by staff, crew and fellow passengers.

Azulann, my quoting of your words is not directed at you; rather your words assist me in what I would like to say.

Labels, labels, labels. That's all words like "new, select, elite, diamond, vip" are. None of those labels make any one person a better or a lesser person. The use of those words lead to biases towards some cruisers and discrimination against others.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a cruise where all passengers were treated equally, with sincerity, dignity and respect? Instead, all these loyalty programs have accomplished is to divide passengers into categories, put a label on them which prompts feelings of superiority for those with the higher end label and inadequacy for those with the lower end label. On these forums, all too often one reads the braggarts' posts who continually boast that "I/We am/are Elite, Diamond, Diamond Plus, blah blah blah" but when was the last time you read multiple posts by those posters bragging that the are "gold, classic, blah, blah, blah".

Me? If I must have a label attached to my presence on board, I would much rather board a ship with the label "human being" and be treated with fairness, equality, dignity and respect by staff, crew and fellow passengers.

Nicely said. Thank you for saying what we "steerage" passengers think.

It actually turned into an "entitlement" thread based on the OP's first post.

Could youkindly explain this to me? I don't believe I ever usedor inferred the word "entitlement". I did state that actions and words led to an "expectation".

The facts that lead to an expectation:

1.Received a special tag at check in saying "VIP'.Never had one of these before.

2. The Hotel Director informing me that I was the 2nd cruiser in points.

3. Past experience in dining at a Captain's table (when the Captain is there it's called the Master's Table) where the top two cruisers were invited.

4.I made an assumption based on these facts that DW and I would be invited.That assumption was a mistake.

5. When the most frequent cruiser asked if I'd be joining him and his DW at the table I told him that we hadn't been invited. I would NEVER ask for an invitation or complain about not getting one.

6. The day following the dinner I was informed by the most frequent cruiser that there were three couples at the table who were first time cruisers and that had also been the case the prior week.

7. This spurred discussion about the value of loyalty among several long time, and one short time cruiser at Michael's Club.

These are the facts that motivated this thread. Make of them as you wish.

The simple way to bet an answer to the OP's question would be for the OP to call the Captain's Club and ask if there is a policy. They have the responsibility for caring for Celebrity's most important repeat cruisers....and they would be the one's who would know.

I think it is a concern when you are led to believe you are going to get special treatment then you don't.

Maris

My word, you are certainly reading between the lines!!!! The OP never said that he was told he would be getting special treatment. He said that he ASSUMED that he would be getting special treatment. His exact words: "Really thought that we would receive some special treatment." Not, "I was told...." Please keep to the facts, and not pass judgment based on your own mistaken assumptions.

Really? Sounds like a group of 1%'s sharing their expectations of entitlement. I have been sailing since the 30s, so I probably have been on more ships than most of the crowd you refer to. When I was younger and more able, I sailed many times over those earlier years, earning the highest level of "loyalty" benefits on several lines. Whenever I was invited to any of the special events I have been privileged to enjoy, including dining with the captain on several occasions, I always considered it a bonus or a gift, not something I have "earned". For some reason, I have never expected to be invited, nor disappointed if I wasn't. It never occurred to me that I was owed special treatment and should feel slighted if I wasn't given the red carpet treatment some of you "loyal" cruises seem to demand.

Different times, different attitudes, I guess. :(

A wonderful observation, particularly from someone who has sailed about seventy five years. I suppose that you may well be the oldest cruiser in the world. Congratulations.

A wonderful observation, particularly from someone who has sailed about seventy five years. I suppose that you may well be the oldest cruiser in the world. Congratulations.

Thank you! What a nice thing to say! In fact, I'm so old that I had the honor of naming "dirt". :D

Yes, I have been around for quite some time. My father worked for Lloyds of London and would take several trips each year to evaluate ships that were insured through the company. Whenever he could, he would take the family along. My first time on a ship was before I was one year old! I have been sailing ever since, mostly with my late husband. Unfortunately, I don't get so many opportunities as before due to health reasons.

Ahhh, but the memories! :)

I still read CruiseCritic to stay in touch with the cruising world, and now mostly cruise vicariously through the comments and postings of the many wonderful people here.

Just marketing I guess ????

On our Summit cruise, all the officers were very friendly & visible to everyone...but the Asst hotel Director & cap Cluib hostess were esp. all over the Royal Diamonds who were first timers on X....enjoying crossover Elite status ...They seemed to get many special invites to focus groups & Officers table... it seemed designed to get them to stay with Celebrity...

DH was a bit put out by it all but never really troubles me...I am there to enjoy my cruise & whatever perks I desire to take advantage of...

Should I be upset that nothing special was done for me on my first Celebrity cruise when I came on as Elite by virtue of Crown & Anchor Diamond?:rolleyes::D

You must have been on the same Transatlantic I was a couple of years ago. There were some high-status people who were positively disgusting about flaunting their status.

Excellent post! I applaud you!

I agree that I'm only entitled to what my Captain's Club status entitles me to receive. I really don't care one way or another about the Captain's Table. What I'm concerned about is a change in philosophy that places a higher value on the new cruiser than those who have shown continued loyalty. Remember the Ally Bank ad? This lack of concern about the loyal cruiser may make enhancements to the Captain's Club program more unlikely. Your "P.S." statement lends further support to my thesis.

Me thinks you should just be happy with the perks you get and let it go.

No matter how much you say it's not so, it still sounds like Sour Grapes.

If it looks like a Duck, etc, etc.

Orator,

I can understand what you are saying. They call you a VIP and not so much more happens after that. As an informed experienced cruiser a surprise like that would of course have you expecting something.

You know lots of staff, it wouldn't take effort to get the inside scoop.

Sounds like they need a stronger definition of the VIP program. If you knew in advance what that meant it would be easier.

I have not ever been upgraded on any line for free, I guess I missed my shot on celebrity too. I didn't get elite benefits either as a first timer.

Probably a new loyalty level may be in order for recognizing repeat customers with exceptional cruise history.

Sorry, but you will not be treated special on your first cruise with HAL, (except for the friendly & personable service, along with great dining, etc., etc.)! ;)

On a 7 day carribbean cruise on the Solticse a few years ago. my grandson who was 11 at the time really got into the whole cruise expierence. He would DRESS for dinner every nite,and was amazed at the level of service. One nite we told our waiter in the dining room we would not be there the next evening as we were dining at a specialty restarant.

As we entered the Tuscan Grill, the matrra D (SP) acknowledge Collin and said he was told before hand to expect him for dinner. Collin glowed, but this was b4 the CHEF came to the table and said he would make sure that collins schrimp cocktails would be there for him.

Is this better then sitting at the captains table? Collin thought so!!

Just another way celebrity makes EVERYONE feel SPECIAL......

Wow, I really don't get this class warfare!!!! I think much of life revolves around what one earns, be it by virture of payment, loyalty or respect.

As a passenger who is frequently honored as Number 1 cruiser, invited to the Captain's Table, and enjoyed additional perks, my loyalty is to Celebrity.:) This is not about money. It is about choice. Many people choose land vacations, buy a motor home, buy a time share, or cruise multiple lines. I choose Celebrity.

That said, I agree with Orator that I wish these extras were consistent from ship to ship.

When I am in the airport lounge, getting to my cruise destination, I watch people getting upgraded to First Class. I get the privilege of sitting in coach:eek: Am I resentful? No, because I know that I do not have the Loyalty with the airline that these people do.

I think that the OP's original point is his perceived view that Celebrity is changing their focus on loyalty. He is certainly allowed to express this opinion without being attacked as he has been on this thread.:(

Elite cruiser (18 cruises) and just off Summit yesterday. Only attended one Elite event, one evening in Revelations more to check out the venue. The Loyalty Ambassador approached my wife and I and invited us to the Officers Table on formal night. We politely declined due to the fact that we had reservations in Normandie as I preferred spending my time and attention to my Bride. Why did she approach us, no clue, we had far less cruises than many on board (one fellow MA cruiser had been on 64 cruises!). Well dressed, maybe, attractive, subjective, personable, supposedly, celebratory, absolutely! I think she was somewhat surprised that we declined, but, we had an amazing time in Normandie, and thoroughly enjoyed the food, the ambiance, and the crew who were working diligently to make our experience exceptional!

We thought the crew were attentive to everyone, and that the senior officers were much more approachable than we have seen in many cruises! Nice job Celebrity in makeing all cruisers feel welcome!

I have not engaged in any personal attack in this thread even though my motivations and character have been attacked by some. The thesis of my concern, a possible change in the emphasis on loyalty has been completely distorted by some. When attacked in this manner I tend to spend a few minutes and review the past posts of the posters. I would suggest that anyone who wants to do some interesting reading do the same. Name calling and ascribing motives does not further one's position and ultimately only hurts the credibility of the poster. I can try to explain, clarify and deny from now to kingdom come, but some by their very nature will never want to get it. To those who kept you posts civil and either agreed or disagreed, thank you. Some who disagreed made good points and provide a framework for discussion. I especially like the suggestion that we need to find some way to recognize the new cruiser. Our cruising community only expands if people find their first experience enjoyable. Finis!

To be honest X is very generous with it perks and we do enjoy our cruises, going to the captain table has never been one of the perks and to be honest if we were never invitied it would not make a difference to us never understood what the big deal is or who goes and why they were picked. That would cause to much brain power to fiqure it out and why waste our time when we could just enjoy being on the ocean and having a great time..

Elite cruiser (18 cruises) and just off Summit yesterday. Only attended one Elite event, one evening in Revelations more to check out the venue. The Loyalty Ambassador approached my wife and I and invited us to the Officers Table on formal night. We politely declined due to the fact that we had reservations in Normandie as I preferred spending my time and attention to my Bride. Why did she approach us, no clue, we had far less cruises than many on board (one fellow MA cruiser had been on 64 cruises!). Well dressed, maybe, attractive, subjective, personable, supposedly, celebratory, absolutely! I think she was somewhat surprised that we declined, but, we had an amazing time in Normandie, and thoroughly enjoyed the food, the ambiance, and the crew who were working diligently to make our experience exceptional!

We thought the crew were attentive to everyone, and that the senior officers were much more approachable than we have seen in many cruises! Nice job Celebrity in makeing all cruisers feel welcome!

DH is a million mile flyer on a certain airline and is able to buy upgrades for a reasonable cost. We never know if we will be able to use the upgrades until we are at the gate for most flights. I can assure you that anyone being upgraded at the airport either has the miles or paid for the privilege. It is not a random thing.

DH is a million mile flyer on a certain airline and is able to buy upgrades for a reasonable cost. We never know if we will be able to use the upgrades until we are at the gate for most flights. I can assure you that anyone being upgraded at the airport either has the miles or paid for the privilege. It is not a random thing.

Totally agree, Not a random thing: Maybe some of the new Celebrity cruisers have just purchased 1000 shares of RCL,( you never know what is happening behind the scenes,) now that's "loyalty" especially since RCL took a big hit Friday.

We have always found that loyalty benefits are just the frosting on the cake. If the cake isn't good, the frosting doesn't matter. We enjoy the basic product and if we receive something extra we appreciate it but if not we don't worry about it. Celebrity has always treated all the passengers well, regardless of the number of cruises completed. There are probably a number of reasons why some people get a few more perks than others, loyalty being just one of them. Treating the staff and crew with respect is another. A special occasion may also be considered and I'm sure new cruisers are enticed with something special too.

It's nice to see the perks spread around for all to enjoy.

That being said, it's disappointing to see the OP personally attacked for just pondering whether what he experienced is a change in focus for the cruiseline. Loyalty has always been a big consideration for Celebrity. It's a fair question, asked honestly, and doesn't deserve the snide comments.

Archived