Celebrity's target clientele

mari10

Bruinsteve I really used to like you. LOL But you have no idea what a Nascar Fan is or do you know how much it costs to go to the races>I can spend more then 500 for 3 days at Homstead and that is not including lodging as we drive back and forth all three days.So if a family of 4 goes to the races,they could spend well over 1000. After I finish going on the majority of cruise destination,my dream is to get a really great RV and follow the Nascar circuit.Actually I plan to volunteeer in the near future at the Victory Junction Camp for medically involved children-founded by Kyle Petty.Most of the drivers have given to charities in great quantities.

I still like you and respect your opinions on cruising.

Ann

My husband has a PhD in organic chemistry from Yale University, in addition to a J.D. in law. When he was the Director of the New York City Forensic Lab, my friend's husband asked him what he did , and he responded "I work for NYPD", without mentioning his job title. He gave that response because he feels that no one should ever make another person feel uncomfortable, which is one of the reasons why I have loved him for 32 years. I think it is important to remember that, in spite of Celebrity's target client, the passengers on most of their cruises are very diversified in terms of education, income, and career accomplishments, and no one should ever be made to feel that they are less worthy than a fellow passenger on that ship.

My husband has a PhD in organic chemistry from Yale University, in addition to a J.D. in law. When he was the Director of the New York City Forensic Lab, my friend's husband asked him what he did , and he responded "I work for NYPD", without mentioning his job title. He gave that response because he feels that no one should ever make another person feel uncomfortable, which is one of the reasons why I have loved him for 32 years. I think it is important to remember that, in spite of Celebrity's target client, the passengers on most of their cruises are very diversified in terms of education, income, and career accomplishments, and no one should ever be made to feel that they are less worthy than a fellow passenger on that ship.

You're married to Gary Sinise? :)

Bruinsteve I really used to like you. LOL But you have no idea what a Nascar Fan is or do you know how much it costs to go to the races>I can spend more then 500 for 3 days at Homstead and that is not including lodging as we drive back and forth all three days.So if a family of 4 goes to the races,they could spend well over 1000. After I finish going on the majority of cruise destination,my dream is to get a really great RV and follow the Nascar circuit.Actually I plan to volunteeer in the near future at the Victory Junction Camp for medically involved children-founded by Kyle Petty.Most of the drivers have given to charities in great quantities.

I still like you and respect your opinions on cruising.

Ann

Alpal1993, I invite Steve and you to visit VA when Richmond International Speedway hosts our next NASCAR event! Perhaps Steve will foot the bill for the excitement and rent the RV; thus, I have provided the info for the best seats in the house! :)

May 14, 2005Richmond, VA

NASCAR Nextel Cup Chevy American Revolution

SEC: RV PASS (That is RECREATIONAL VEHICLE, PARKING ONLY..... YOU GOTTA FIND YOUR OWN!:p ) ROW: GA

Full Weekend Pass, Right by the Track=$440.00;)

SEC: HOSPITALITY ROW: VIP

PRE PACE PIT PASS W/HOSPITALITY, RACE TICKET SOLD SEPERATELY = $160.00 each:)

SEC: COMON I ROW: 35 =$565.00 each

Tickets for the RACE:D

TRACK FACTS

.75-mile, D-shaped paved oval;

8 degree banking on the front straight;

2 degree banking on the back straight;

14 degree banking in the turns;

front straight is 1,290 feet;

back straight is 860 feet.

Sky:) WOW.....your hubby was head of Forensics for the NYPD?

That is quite an employer!;)

Gina, I would LOVE to come up and see a NASCAR race:D I live less than 2 hours from Daytona and have never been:rolleyes:, not to "THE 500" or the Pepsi 400 either!

Patrioticgirl-I would be there in a heart beat,but Steve would have to pay,because all our extra money is going to our June 2 Baltics cruise.Hopefully one day I will be there.

When we get back I have to order our Homestead Tickets.It is going to be real cool 3 night races this year.

We get off the Century Baltic run in Amsterdam June 2nd

This is our first trip to Europe ever.We were originally booked for the Western/southern Caribbean cruise out of our home port(10 minute drive)Ft Lauderdale.Now we are flying 10 hours to Amsterdam.The cruise price was great it is all the extras like airfare and Russian excusion.It should be fabulous.Have a fantastic time.

Ann

I lived in the Oak Ridge' date=' Tennessee, area for many, many years and remember Brentwood as being a very upscale suburb of Nashville. I doubt if any of the residents in Mari's subdivision make less than $150,000-$200,000 a year.

Here in Charlotte, a 1900-2300 square-foot house in a decent neighborhood will run about $175,000, new or used. Most of the nicer subdivisions are no older than 10-12 years, though. Just old enough for the landscaping to look nice. In the more-exclusive subdivisions or on the lake, houses in the 2500-3500 square-foot range start at maybe $350,000 and run on up to a million plus, but these are gorgeous homes.

Allen[/quote']

Wow..you are lucky.. Here in Massachusetts for $350,000 you will have 50ish years old 1200 - 1300 sq ft 1 hour west from Boston.;) Anything closer to Boston (good or bad) would be 400+ !!!

Here in Charlotte, a 1900-2300 square-foot house in a decent neighborhood will run about $175,000, new or used. Most of the nicer subdivisions are no older than 10-12 years, though. Just old enough for the landscaping to look nice. In the more-exclusive subdivisions or on the lake, houses in the 2500-3500 square-foot range start at maybe $350,000 and run on up to a million plus, but these are gorgeous homes.

I believe Allen was saying that Charlotte was an affordable area.

I thought for a long time about how to respond to an entry in this thread, and would really like to think that I misunderstood its intention. THere was an entry someone had posted, in regards to someone's husband not divulging his full professional title, apparently to prevent people from being intimidated or uncomfortable? I hate to admit it, but I had a problem with this, or maybe just the way it was worded. My impression of it was that somehow you or your husband, or both, think that you have REASON to feel superior in some way, and are doing some kind of service to those of us that are beneath you and will more than likely feel intimidated by a string of letters after your name. It said that no one should have to feel inferior or less than anyone else, and to that I agree. Even so, I found how you worded your entry made it sound like some people ARE inferior, and the point was that this just shouldnt be "pointed out" or emphasized. I hope that this isnt the case as I feel that it would be such a shame that more people didnt pick up on and comment on it.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is an Attorney and I am a VP of Marketing for a technology company. We live in LA, have no kids, just got married, and are in our early/mid 30's.

We can barely afford to live in a 1600 sqft townhome in West LA. 1/2 our income goes toward the interest only loan and bills. This cruise is our honeymoon which we paid for ourselves. I am fortunate not to have student loans. My husband still has credit card debt, and student loans from law school. :mad:

The good thing is we dont have a big commute to work each day...making our 60 hour+ work weeks a little bit more bearable.

Plus...after taxes last month, we got hit with a big "marriage penalty" tax that is not deductible with anything...including interest w/ mortgage. Im a bit shocked the govt taxes ppl for being married??? We actually thought we would get a refund. HAHAHA! NOT!

IMO Bottom line is that depending on where you live, it is all relative to what the target income is for celebrity cruisers.

LA is too expensive. I would love to move someplace else w/ our income. We could live a much higher standard of living, but it is not possible now. Hopefully we will always be able to take a nice trip each year. I think it is important to relieve stress from our busy lives, and be able to connect.

~Susan

This is all very interesting because I have a nefew who got his doctorate at Johns Hopkins and is teaching at Harvard. I make twice as much as he does plus my wife has a great job. Who is doing better??? WE have car payments a boat payment, mortgage and not to mention insurance as well as various other bills. He lives in a 1 bed apt., does not drive and has no payments(college was on scholarships). It all depends on lifestyle. Who's more likely to cruise.....me :D . He's to busy splitting genes. Bottom line is, he may very well have more spendable income than I do. It is all relative. I do still believe the 75,000. target IS per person and 150,000. per couple. Not 75,000. per household as others have suggested.

It is amazing how some of you think that people who make less than $75,000/year can afford a cruise. I'm going to presume that this figure is in U.S. funds. I make less than $75,000/year and believe me I have managed to take many vacations - cruises, trips to Europe - on the salary I make and the expenses I have. It's called money management! If the criteria was quoted from Celebrity, then Celebrity itself is being pretentious. What about those people, of which 80% of my last cruise on Celebrity (Feb. 2005) were retired persons. Do they make $75,000/year? I doubt it. The direction Celebrity is going, from this survey, and from what I have read from others regarding the increase in their rates, Celebrity will alienate those passengers who are the backbone of their existance. Without us, "us" meaning the middle class, there would be a lot of cabins left empty. My opinion of Celebrity, from my last cruise with them where we had problems which they have yet to formally apologize for, to the abysmal 2006 Caribbean itinerary, to this survey, has fallen from "great" to "I think I will go elsewhere".

Archived