Victoria after 7pm

lois1112

we are making a brief stop in Victoria (Sapphire Princess 9/16) for only a few hours (7pm to 1150PM) we plan on taking the shuttle into town. will it still be light? will anything at all be open. any can't misses?

wanted to go to the gardens (I have been before, the person I am traveling with has not) But no tours are offered.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

The reason there are no Butchart Garden tours offered is because as of 9/16 they unfortunately close at 5 pm.

It will be twilight when you arrive, a walk around the Inner Harbour is nice, you can see the Empress Hotel and our Legislature buildings all lit up, there may be some buskers preforming on the causeway and you may care for a horse drawn carriage ride.

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

http://www.causewayartists.ca/[url=http://www.causewayartists.ca/welcome.html][/url]

• 1 month later...
Is going to Chinatown after 7pm worth while? I saw some pictures of it all lit up with lanterns and it looks pretty nice.

Probably not, it is a pretty small area when compared with other larger cities Chinatowns.

Crystal Serenity was in Victoria yesterday. Half a dozen ladies from the ship went down to the local food bank to pack hampers and help out for the day. Won't appeal to the average cruise passenger but it's definitely worth a mention.

What a great way to leave a favorable impression on cruisers - is this part of a program offered by the food bank or would Crystal which is a 6 ****** cruise line offered it as an "excursion".

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
The reason there are no Butchart Garden tours offered is because as of 9/16 they unfortunately close at 5 pm.

It will be twilight when you arrive, a walk around the Inner Harbour is nice, you can see the Empress Hotel and our Legislature buildings all lit up, there may be some buskers preforming on the causeway and you may care for a horse drawn carriage ride.

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

http://www.causewayartists.ca/

We are interested in taking a carriage tour. I was in contact with Tally Ho Tours today and was going to reserve it, however, they mentioned that we'd have to go to the inner harbor in order to start the tour because they don't pick up in the cruise area. My MIL that we're traveling with is not able to walk much so I don't know that we'll be able to use Tally Ho.

Are there any carriage tour operators that will pick us up at the cruise ship area?

Thanks!

Victoria Carriage will pick up at the cruise terminal (and I suspect Tally-Ho may as well) but they have to pay a fee to the harbour authority which gets added to the cost of your fare. The fee is $20 to $30 plus 12% tax depending upon the time of the year. You could take a cab to either of the companies locations for $10 each way.

Victoria Carriage will pick up at the cruise terminal (and I suspect Tally-Ho may as well) but they have to pay a fee to the harbour authority which gets added to the cost of your fare. The fee is $20 to $30 plus 12% tax depending upon the time of the year. You could take a cab to either of the companies locations for $10 each way.

I did talk to both companies and the Victoria Carriage said that they would pick us up at the pier. The price we were quoted for the 1.5 hour tour was $300. (Added on $90 for pick up.) Ouch! We're not going to do that. I don't know how far of a walk it is to get there but I think we will take a cab.

Thanks for your help!

I did talk to both companies and the Victoria Carriage said that they would pick us up at the pier. The price we were quoted for the 1.5 hour tour was $300. (Added on $90 for pick up.) Ouch! We're not going to do that. I don't know how far of a walk it is to get there but I think we will take a cab.

Thanks for your help!

Interesting because the price I was quoted was only this morning....now maybe it was per person, I didn't qualify that. The walk will take you about 20 mins, it is a flat and rather a picturesque walk. You could also take a bus from outside the terminal gates for $2.50 (CDN) pp each way....just tell the operator what you are up to.

Interesting because the price I was quoted was only this morning....now maybe it was per person, I didn't qualify that. The walk will take you about 20 mins, it is a flat and rather a picturesque walk. You could also take a bus from outside the terminal gates for $2.50 (CDN) pp each way....just tell the operator what you are up to.

Really??? Are you talking to Tom when you call there? That's who we have dealt with. I'd gladly pay $20 to $30 for the extra service. Not $90!

Is the bus a city bus or is this cruise line specific?

Really??? Are you talking to Tom when you call there? That's who we have dealt with. I'd gladly pay $20 to $30 for the extra service. Not $90!

Is the bus a city bus or is this cruise line specific?

Sorry, I didn't make note of his name but I took it that it was his business. What he told me was that the fee was $20 but when he asked me when this would be and I replied "July" the fee fee was $30. The bus is a city transit bus, either a #30 or #31 bus should take you within a block or so of the carriage rides.

http://www.transitbc.com/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm?p=map.rname&&line=30

• 1 month later...

We would love to take a carriage tour but not sure about reserving it...thought we would would just wing it in case the weather is poor. We will be coming on the Carnival Spirit August 27th from 7:30 to midnight.

Will the carriages be located at the inner harbour? We were also thinking about catching a "mini ferry" for a harbour tour and getting off at Fisherman's Warf for fish and chips at Barbs. Just wondering if this sounds possible? Does anyone know how long it is light out at that time of year? Sure wish we had more time in port!

Sunset in Victoria on Aug 27th will be at 8 pm and twilight will end about 8:30 pm but there should be no problem in doing what you are planning. Yes, both horse drawn carriage rides are located in the Inner Harbour area on Belleville St. just to the west of the Legislature Buildings.

...August 27th from 7:30 to midnight.... harbour tour and getting off at Fisherman's Warf for fish and chips at Barbs...

Just a note of caution - Barb's fish and chips is only open to dark so you might want to go there first... -

Agree with Dennis - I can't see you having enough time even if you are first off the ship. You probably dock at 7:30 but may not be cleared until closer to 8 pm... far too late to get over to Barb's for dinner. They'd be closing up and probably not very happy to see you! :o Sorry!

Just for fun I just phoned Barb's and they tell that despite what the website says they are open until after 9 pm as long as there are customers around. Pressing a little more, I asked with a cruise ship in town on August 27 and sunset at about 8 pm when would they close...same answer, as long as there are customers around they will open until at least 9 pm.

Archived