New to Oceania, we have a few questions. We would appreciate your assistance!

California Native

Our Passport Stamps,

You did indeed have a terrible experience with your TA and I can commiserate with your antipathy to TAs as a class in general. However, no matter what area of expertise you deal with there will always be those who are incompetent or worse, dishonest. If one doctor performs a bad procedure does that mean we should swear off all doctors?

I'm not here to defend TAs. If anyone wishes to go to the trouble of doing all the work oneself when one can get professional help for no additional cost (and most times with savings involved) that is their privilege.

Ok, I can see why you book direct with the cruise line, which I have done on my last three crusises However I don't understand why you switch it over to a TA before the cruise? Is it for the bottle of wine or a few chocolate covered strawberries that a TA might give you? You have done all of their work plus the ticket packett goes to the TA first and then you. If you leave it with the cruise line they are sent directly to you. Less chance of it getting lost or misplaced.Please explain!

I did it for the $973 pre paid tip. My ticket packet came directly from Oceania.

This was the 1st time I ever transferred my booking to a TA. I love doing my own bookings and all of the reasearch because I have fun doing it and I like having control over my bookings so it was hard giving up my "control" of the booking but it was actually painless. I would do it again if I have a similar offer and have the cabin I want.

I did it for the $973 pre paid tip. My ticket packet came directly from Oceania.

This was the 1st time I ever transferred my booking to a TA. I love doing my own bookings and all of the reasearch because I have fun doing it and I like having control over my bookings so it was hard giving up my "control" of the booking but it was actually painless. I would do it again if I have a similar offer and have the cabin I want.

Not to sound naive but what was the $973 pre paid tip? Was this from the TA's commission? Because that is a lot of money to get back from a TA!

Not to sound naive but what was the $973 pre paid tip? Was this from the TA's commission? Because that is a lot of money to get back from a TA!

Prepaid Gratuities are a very common promotional benefit.

In almost all cases such Promotions are sponsored by the Cruise Lines, but are awarded by Travel Agents either as a sales incentive, or as a reward to repeat clients.

By virtue of the way that promotional benefits are distributed, passengers who do not use a Travel Agent are seldom aware of their existence, as evidenced by your question.

That was the promotion her agency was having.

Thanks for explaining...sorry for the troubles.

BTW, the laundry costs are a bit higher now than previously posted but not by much....approx 75 cents to $1.50 per item. If I find a stray laundry receipt from our Dec-Jan cruise, I'll post the prices. The laundry master and staff on our cruises have been tops!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be booking this cruise this week. My TA is only offering a $50 discount per person vs. Oceania web price although she is including a $400 obc for the cabin. From the roll call another agent was suggested from a national chain and they priced this out at $400 less per person for an ocean view cabin. Obviously good discounts are out there.

• 2 weeks later...

On our second Oceania cruise last summer - which we very much enjoyed! - we realized that when they say you can get two specialty dining experiences, you would be very very lucky to get more than that unless you are in Concierge Class & above. We heard of other travelers getting a third night, but weren't so lucky ourselves.

We LOVED the food in Toscana - maybe you can get your two nights there!

As others have suggested, the food in the main dining room & even the Grill was great. We got a little tired of heavier food last summer & began to dine there --- never anything other than satisfied.

Have fun on your cruise! I know you'll enjoy it. We are off on Azamara in early May --- very much looking forward to it.

I found this online.

Its from Oct. 2011 - so its pretty recent.

Online Overview

http://www.canyonranch.com/spaclub/oceania_cruises/overview/

Printable Spa Menu (no pricing)

http://www.canyonranch.com/i/downloads/Oceania_Nautica_Regatta_Guide_to_Services.pdf

Reservation info

To book your spa services at Canyon Ranch SpaClub® onboard Nautica, Regatta, Insignia or Marina, please call 877-329-1924.

Archived