New to Oceania, we have a few questions. We would appreciate your assistance!

California Native

Hello.

We are strongly considering booking Oceania Regatta for the Jan 5th sailing Miami to Lima.

I have sailed on Azamara for 24 days and the Pacific Princess for a couple of months in total

So, I feel very comfortable with the layout of the ship, my choice of cabin etc etc.

Because we have never sailed Oceania and I know very little about this cruise line

I do have a few questions.

1. The laundry on Deck 7, is that complimentary?

2. If I decide that I would like Oceania to do our laundry, is the charge for this service, standard in comparison to other cruise lines such as Holland America, Celebrity, AZ, and Princess?

My benefits on Princess, Celebrity and AZ have allowed me to enjoy complimentary laundry services. I can’t remember the last time I have had to pay for this service.

3. What is the charge for specialty restaurants? Are reservations always required? Are those staying in an inside cabin given the same treatment as those in balcony cabin when it comes to availability of these reservations (if they are needed)?

4. Is the MDR fixed or open seating for dinner? If fixed can we request a table for 2?

5. Since we are in an inside cabin and this sailing has a Panama Canal Transit, we are wondering if the spa offers some sort of day pass for that little outside area?

6. What beverages are complimentary? As you know Azamara is very generous with their options.

Are you allowed to bring onboard a bottle of local wine from the ports you are visiting?

What about bottled water (for example I prefer Evian and not all ships serve that)

We aren’t smugglers by any means..so that is not the context of this question.

7. If we book a shorex prior to departure…are we required to pay for it in advance or is it billed to our cruise folio?

8. Does Oceania allow you to book direct with them and then at final payment release it to a travel agent?

I think that’s all for now…Any assistance, suggestions etc etc. you would be kind enough to offer..is most appreciated.

Buon Viaggio

Karen

Hello Karen,

I think you are going to really enjoy Oceania. My husband and I had a GREAT time! Here are the answers to the best of my knowledge. My husband and I sailed Oceania Nautica (sister ship to Regatta) last September Athens to Istanbul:

1. You will need to purchase tokens from the front desk for the laundry.

2. Didn't use the laundry service but it didn't seem too bad.

3. No charge for specialty restaurants but you do need a reservation and I suggest you book them way in advance through Oceania's on-line booking system. The concierge level balcony rooms and suites get priority reservations.

4. Grand Dining Room and Terrace Cafe are open seating at any time - no reservations required. You can request table for 2. My husband and I did this several times when we arrived at the hostess area - no need to do it in advance - there is plenty of seating.

5. You can sit in the private outside area of the spa if you pay for their services. You can also arrange to rent a private Cabana. However, I would suggest looking into at least an ocean view room instead as you will end up spending money if you use the spa or rent the Cabana several times.

6. All non-alcoholic beverages are included, including water. Alcohol is extra (though I think you can now buy a package deal for alcohol). You can bring wine and liquor on board. We bought bottles of Rum and Vodka with us from the duty free shop at the port and used their complimentary sodas for mixers.

7. You should book you shore excursion prior to sailing though I think you can also do it on board subject to availability. When you book prior to sailing, you have to pay for it in advance as far as I know because that is what they did for us.

8. I think you can book directly with them and then switch it to an agent at the end. We booked our next cruise (Lisbon to Rome in Sept 2012) while on board our Athens cruise last September and that is what we did because we didn't want to use the travel agent we used for that cruise.

My suggestions are this: no need to bring a suit for gentlemen - it is very casual attire for the most part. Women should bring a few dresses but nothing really fancy - cocktail dresses are fine. Used the laundry with the tokens and it worked fine, however, it does get quite crowded so try to pick an off-time. The Terrace Cafe has awesome food and is fine for dinner for many of the nights. As a matter of fact, they often have the same food there as in the Grand Dining Room. Hope you enjoy your trip!!!!!

Margie & Frank

Wanna be retired....

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to answer my questions.

For everyone

2 More......

While onboard Azamara, my husband loved getting a made to order smoothie each morning for breakfast in the Buffet.

He was wondering if that was something that Oceania did?

Also, has anyone put together price lists, menus or anything like that on their personal blog/website? If so, would it be possible for me to view them.

Thanks so much

While onboard Azamara, my husband loved getting a made to order smoothie each morning for breakfast in the Buffet.

You can always ask though the ice cream stand does not open until 11 am where you can order smoothies, milkshakes etc,,,the crew are usually happy to help with simple requests

He was wondering if that was something that Oceania did?

Also, has anyone put together price lists, menus or anything like that on their personal blog/website? If so, would it be possible for me to view them.

Thanks so much

On O's website under

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/regatta/restaurants/default.aspx

They have sample menus

A google search may net you others

Smoothies are available at Waves, the outdoor informal lunch area next to Terrace Cafe but I've never heard of them being available for breakfast.

But I never thought to ask! The equipment is right by Terrace so maybe they would do this for you even if they haven't done so before.

2. If I decide that I would like Oceania to do our laundry, is the charge for this service,

In this forum someplace there is a laundry list someone posted The search feature (top right) should help

3. What is the charge for specialty restaurants? Are reservations always required? Are those staying in an inside cabin given the same treatment as those in balcony cabin when it comes to availability of these reservations (if they are needed)?

You believe youl get 2 reservations per restaurant ..others may be allowed if space available & you are flexible check daily with the desk in the Terrace cafe

7. If we book a shorex prior to departure…are we required to pay for it in advance or is it billed to our cruise folio?

Pay at the time of booking

Karen

Enjoy

LHT28...

Thanks for the info about smoothies...

I did search online and found a few things including the Oceania website for sample menus. I've also gone back a few pages on this board looking for answers to other questions.

but I will keep digging, based on SEO, some personal blogs don't show up on googles initial search...so I thought I would check here within the Oceania Cruise Critic Community.

Kindest Regards,

Karen

LHT28...

Thanks for the info about smoothies...

I did search online and found a few things including the Oceania website for sample menus. I've also gone back a few pages on this board looking for answers to other questions.

Kindest Regards,

Karen

Just to add the only menu that changes is GDR & The Terrace the others stay the same

Thank you JimandStan.

Wripro

I've been traveling and cruising since I was a small child. Almost 40 years for about 45 days a year. Not to mention land travel. I feel very confident in making my own travel arrangements and researching.

Because I am new to Oceania, I know that I will have questions and I would like to be able to have access to my booking when I want it while Oceania is open, whether it's to check on my guarantee status, my air deviation or whatever without waiting on a call back from a travel agent

For many people a travel agent is worth their weight in gold, for me not so much.

If I give this to a travel agent near FP ...it is actually a win - win for both of us. They have had to do almost no work on this and they still earn their commission. I've had the control I want and I will be able to take advantage of any incentives they are able to offer. Everyone is happy.

K.

One question that seems to have gotten passed over a bit:

There is a different priority for specialty restaurant reservations. They have a schedule for booking these online...Reservations open up for Suite passengers first, then Penthouse, then Concierge and so on down...Inside cabins go last...so you MAY find your first choice times booked...though there should be plenty of slots to go around...Also, Suite passengers get double the nnumber of advance reservations...

However, also note that you can always get additional reservations once onboard...especially if you are willing to eat early or late in the dining "window"...Since specialty restaurants are at no additional charge, they are quite popular...

They are aslo quite good...Of course, so is the Grand Dining Room...

Our cabin on the Insignia was near the laundry on deck 7. We did not use the self service laundry but did send a few items out, and the bill was inconsequential. I would never sit in the laundry, waiting in a queue to use the very limited number of machines. I heard people commenting that the machines were slow, sometimes offline, and there were some words interchanged regarding laundry etiquette. Everytime we passed that room, there was a crowd in there waiting for their duds to wash/dry instead of enjoying the expensive cruise they paid for. I just didn't get the attraction of sitting inside some tiny room until all hours of the night doing your laundry. We pack as much as we think we'll use, but plan to wear things more than once and send out the socks/underwear for laundering if we run short. Using the ship laundry service was well worth the few dollars we spent, and then we could enjoy ourselves elsewhere: in port, having fun.

Winegirl...

more than likely we will send it out...however, we do have 1 or 2 days Im staying on the ship while my DH travels to high altitudes.

BruinSteve...thanks for the clarification!! I did learn this little gem today....

Because our cruise is 18 days long ...we will receive 2 reservation in each restaurant.

All of this might be mute point. Once onboard I will need to speak with the Maitre D about this...

or maybe you or others might have some thoughts on my situation...

Here's the situation without too much of that thing called TMI...Ive had multiple abdominal surgeries because of stage 4 endometriosis.

Under no circumstances can I do the leisurely multi course dinner, wine pairing etc etc. that specialty restaurants are known for My pain levels become really elevated when I have to sit up in a proper, polite, mature position. (translation~no slight slouching which brings me relief)

While on AZ and Princess R ships. Prior to our Reservation we worked with the Maitre D and our waiter to give our menu order and then they brought out the appetizers and salad together, then soup, then main course. Dessert was already pre ordered so as soon we let the waiter known she brought that...no leisurely paced delays....We were able to do dinner within 1 hour on both cruiselines.

I know its not how the chef would want me to experience it...but it is what I need to do for me.

Do you think Oceania would be as receptive to this arrangement as the Princess and Azamara R ships?

We REALLY did enjoy our speciality dining meals...they were delicious and romantic. So we would like to experience that on Oceania.

I will also speak with the Maitre D/Head Waiter in the main dining room but have found over the years it's very easy for a MDR to accomodate me as long as we have a table for 2.

Thanks so much for everyones input! I appreciate your time. Karen

Winegirl,

It IS possible to use the laundry rooms to do your laundry personally without spending all day in there! Our first two cruises (on Renaissance, when Regatta was R2 and Nautica was R5) our cabin was opposite the laundry room, so it was VERY easy to figure out when there was a line for the machines and when there was not. (And we heard no noise inside our cabin, even when the hallway was full of passengers waiting for their laundry to be done.)

I just don't like giving my personal laundry to other people to do! I prefer to do it myself, and on a 14 day cruise certain things do need to be done.

On later cruises -- after we moved upstairs to Deck 8 for a PH -- we learned how to figure out when the laundry rooms are available. Sea days are difficult, I agree! But we usually do our laundry starting around cocktail hour ... we rarely have had a problem getting a machine. (It can help that we prefer to go into dinner at a somewhat later hour, usually 7:45-8:00, or even later.)

If you don't want to bother with the do-it-yourself aspect, that's fine. But please don't think that it's impossible to do your laundry without a great loss of time because that just is NOT the case.

It just takes a little planning.

And of course it's much easier on Marina/Riviera with laundry rooms on each passenger deck.

Mura

While on AZ and Princess R ships. Prior to our Reservation we worked with the Maitre D and our waiter to give our menu order and then they brought out the appetizers and salad together, then soup, then main course. Dessert was already pre ordered so as soon we let the waiter known she brought that...no leisurely paced delays....We were able to do dinner within 1 hour on both cruiselines.

Do you think Oceania would be as receptive to this arrangement as the Princess and Azamara R ships?

We REALLY did enjoy our speciality dining meals...they were delicious and romantic. So we would like to experience that on Oceania.

I will also speak with the Maitre D/Head We were in the main dining room but have found over the years it's very easy for a MDR to accommodate me as long as we have a table for 2.

Karen,

My sympathies. I haven't had this kind of problem but Oceania has always been most cooperative when it comes to dietary questions. I have no doubt that you can arrange what you want! And it shouldn't be difficult getting a table for two.

On too many occasions for our personal preference, we ended up at a table for two even thought we would prefer to share (in the GDR). It was always a matter of when we got there and what tables were occupied. They won't bring a couple to a table that has already been there for a while! (Understandable.) So I would think that you should never have a problem getting a table for two on Oceania.

When you go to Polo or Toscana there shouldn't be a problem since it's very easy to reserve your table for two.

Mura

JimandStan and Our passport stamps,

I think I understand what you are saying but to me, no matter what question or problem I may have, a call to a TA is quicker and get me the same answer than calling O. If you tell your TA what you want you have all the control you need imo. But everyone is different.

JimandStan and Our passport stamps,

I think I understand what you are saying but to me, no matter what question or problem I may have, a call to a TA is quicker and get me the same answer than calling O. If you tell your TA what you want you have all the control you need imo. But everyone is different.

There is a whole generation of folks who feel exactly as you do, and I'm sure that Travel Agents all over the World thank their lucky stars that they do.

On the other hand, I have recently become one of those people who "prefers to be served" in a restaurant rather than go to a buffet, so perhaps I am slowly coming around to your way of thinking. :confused:

Wripro...

please know I have total respect for travel agents. I am not one...but my background is in Hospitality Management with an emphasis in Convention Services and at one point I worked for Classic Hawaii for 5 years as their top sales producer.

All of the travel agents I trusted to handle my travel have since retired. I know that there are some out there, but I haven't had the need to put my trust in one ...well..except once and that was a disaster.

For our honeymoon, I decided that I would actually delegate this task to a WELL KNOWN, well respected throughout the USA and even the world, what could possibly go wrong travel agency

For our honeymoon cruise a deposit was put down of 1200.00USD, I was given a receipt all was well. 1 month before final payment was due and about 2 months before the wedding my mom took me on a cruise for a little rest and relaxation ..it was a chance for us to have some quality time together with lots of spa treatments. I desperately needed to exhale

We went to the onboard future cruise agent to book another cruise further out and my mom suggested to pull up our honeymoon cruise, since she was thinking she might upgrade us to a suite. The look on the future cruise agent face said it all...

The well known, well respected travel agency had only put 12.00 dollars down on our cruise not 1200.00 for a deposit. Our honeymoon had been cancelled, the ship was sold out. I did not catch this charge on the credit card statement because at that time it was charged to my husbands card and we had not merged it yet. It was his 1st cruise, I booked it, he just wrote the check. Since the well known well respected travel agency sent me a deposit receipt for 1200.00 I thought everything was fine.

Can you imagine finding all this out as a stressed out bride who was already overwhelmed trying to do the proper thing with wedding etiquette while dealing with psycho inlaws, etc. ..I was actually exhaling for the 1st time in months and then I was hit with this..while on a cruise ship with the internet down.

Since that moment I have kept control of my bookings.

Thank you JimandStan.

Wripro

I've been traveling and cruising since I was a small child. Almost 40 years for about 45 days a year. Not to mention land travel. I feel very confident in making my own travel arrangements and researching.

Because I am new to Oceania, I know that I will have questions and I would like to be able to have access to my booking when I want it while Oceania is open, whether it's to check on my guarantee status, my air deviation or whatever without waiting on a call back from a travel agent

For many people a travel agent is worth their weight in gold, for me not so much.

If I give this to a travel agent near FP ...it is actually a win - win for both of us. They have had to do almost no work on this and they still earn their commission. I've had the control I want and I will be able to take advantage of any incentives they are able to offer. Everyone is happy.

K.

Ok, I can see why you book direct with the cruise line, which I have done on my last three crusises However I don't understand why you switch it over to a TA before the cruise? Is it for the bottle of wine or a few chocolate covered strawberries that a TA might give you? You have done all of their work plus the ticket packett goes to the TA first and then you. If you leave it with the cruise line they are sent directly to you. Less chance of it getting lost or misplaced.Please explain!

Ok, I can see why you book direct with the cruise line, which I have done on my last three crusises However I don't understand why you switch it over to a TA before the cruise? Is it for the bottle of wine or a few chocolate covered strawberries that a TA might give you? You have done all of their work plus the ticket packett goes to the TA first and then you. If you leave it with the cruise line they are sent directly to you. Less chance of it getting lost or misplaced.Please explain!

I don't think any of us would do it for a bottle of wine or strawberries.

There is money involved and sometimes it can be substantial. Why leave it on the table when it can be in your pocket?

Archived