Embarkation Question

TwoSue

If you have four people on your booking, do you all have to get onboard at the time time? I'm trying to figure out a way to lessen the cost of the Anchorage to Seward transfer. We'll have a rental RV for the week before our cruise. If my husband drops us off somewhere in Seward in the morning (me and two kids), could we embark early? Then he could drive to Anchorage, return the rv, and catch a shuttle back to Seward and get on the ship later? It would be a long day for him, but it could save us at least $150, which we could spend on something more fun than a bus ride on a road we've already taken.

If you have four people on your booking, do you all have to get onboard at the time time? I'm trying to figure out a way to lessen the cost of the Anchorage to Seward transfer. We'll have a rental RV for the week before our cruise. If my husband drops us off somewhere in Seward in the morning (me and two kids), could we embark early? Then he could drive to Anchorage, return the rv, and catch a shuttle back to Seward and get on the ship later? It would be a long day for him, but it could save us at least $150, which we could spend on something more fun than a bus ride on a road we've already taken.
Take the kids on one of the many whale/wildlife boat excursions in Seward.

No, you don't all have to board at the same time, but I don't know how early you could board in Seward. Do your boarding passes say the regular 1:00p or something later?

What about dropping the RV and getting a one-way rental car to Seward? You might check out what that would cost.

You probably won't be able to board until about noon so you could plan your day around that time. You do not all have to board at the same time so yes he could drop you off in the morning, you could wander about the roaring metropolis and then board when you want and he could board when he gets back.

This may or may NOT work. Last September we sailed out of Seward on a HAL cruise/tour. Half way to Seward from Denali the tour guide on our bus got a phone call from HAl stating that we had to rush to Seward (cutting out stops in Anchorage) the captain of the Zaandam was moving up departure two hours to avoid weather coming in from the ocean. If this were to happen to you, paying the $150 drop off fee might be very worth while! The drive from Seward to Anchorage and back must be close to four hours without having to wait for a transfer.

Google maps says 2h:37m each way. It's only 127 miles, but not superhighway!

This is true. Go to google maps and turn on the satellite image. This is a sometimes winding mountain pass. Much of it two lane. And...during summer months there are a LOT of slow moving RVs. I used to live on the Kenai Peninsula, and you have to include hours of buffer time in case of accidents and breakdowns. If someone has a head-on or hits a moose, you could be sitting for a long time.

Our AKRR train ride from Anchorage to Seward was one of the most memorable parts of our Alaska vacation; if you haven't explored this option you should check it out.

Yes, I've read that many people really enjoy that train ride! I'm hoping to have already explored the area at our own pace while traveling in our rv the week before. We plan to travel through the Kenai Peninsula as well as the Denali area. That's one reason the cost of the Anchorage-Seward transfer is bothering me so much... we will have already driven it. Although obviously we are spending a ton of money for these two weeks, I'm trying my best to keep unnecessary costs down.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. We may just "camp" at the rv dealership Saturday night after checking in the rv, and all four of us grab the $25 Leopard Shuttle at 6 a.m.

I've been thinking about this, and think you should all stick together.

Consider the mess if he were to get in an accident on the way to Anchorage and need medical attention, or the RV is simply damaged enough that there's no way he can return it and make it back to the ship in time. Now he's off in AK alone while you, the kids, and all your baggage are on the ship. You'd have to get off (hopefully with your bags) and try to get to him, costing far more in the long run than the $150. Not worth the risk IMO.

Archived