What to do from Kiel port

We have a day in Kiel during our HAL cruise, after going to Berlin the day before. I'd appreciate thoughts on what to do from the Kiel port. I know Hamburg is an option but, unless it's a "can't miss" place to visit, we'd prefer something closer. It will be our last day onboard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments!

We have a day in Kiel during our HAL cruise, after going to Berlin the day before. I'd appreciate thoughts on what to do from the Kiel port. I know Hamburg is an option but, unless it's a "can't miss" place to visit, we'd prefer something closer. It will be our last day onboard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments!

Hi, another option is Lübeck only 1 hour from Kiel by train and a complete contrast to Berlin.

Lübeck is a very historical and interesting town with a wealth of well restored medieval buildings most of which are open to the public in the form of museums etc. The old city is surrounded by water and one of the most leisurly ways to see it is by boat but the main attractions are in in a very compact area and very 'walkable'.

The trains between Kiel and Lübeck run every hour, the Schleswig-Holstein day ticket costs 26€ for one person plus 3€ for each additional person up to five people travelling together.

The city has a good English website,

www.luebeck-tourism.de

or you can see my blog for more information (later this week, I'm still doing Lübeck)

www.travelanni.webs.com

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Hi, another option is Lübeck only 1 hour from Kiel by train and a complete contrast to Berlin.

Lübeck is a very historical and interesting town with a wealth of well restored medieval buildings most of which are open to the public in the form of museums etc. The old city is surrounded by water and one of the most leisurly ways to see it is by boat but the main attractions are in in a very compact area and very 'walkable'.

The trains between Kiel and Lübeck run every hour, the Schleswig-Holstein day ticket costs 26€ for one person plus 3€ for each additional person up to five people travelling together.

www.luebeck-tourism.de

or you can see my blog for more information (later this week, I'm still doing Lübeck)

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni

In your signature, you have several "Rickmers" trips mentioned. I Googled it, and it looks like it transports cargo...and apparently passengers?

In your signature, you have several "Rickmers" trips mentioned. I Googled it, and it looks like it transports cargo...and apparently passengers?

Hi, Yes, thats right. Rickmers Reederi operate container ships and Rickmers Linie operate heavy lift, break bulk ships. I have sailed on both but prefer the latter, more ports and more time in each. They carry a maximum of 8 passengers (more often 3 or 4) on their Pearl String-Round the World service, using 9 ships at roughly two week intervals. At the moment, due to the pirate situation, they do not carry passengers between the Mediterannean and Singapore. A voyage from Singapore to Europe via the USA takes about 4 months and visits between 20 and 25 ports. It is possible to book segments eg. USA to Europe

For more details of all their voyages and ship descriptions see

www.mcc-marine.de/index.php

With the exception of the Norwegian Coastal and the Rhine/Danube cruises all my voyages have been on ships operated by Rickmers and I have never been disappointed with either the service or the comfort. I love the involvement with the daily work of the ship, the friendliness of the officers and crew, the feeling of being a part of the Rickmers 'family' but being able to be alone if you want to (impossible with 1000+ other passengers). However it is very different to cruising and not for everyone.

If you have any questions about freighter travel please drop me a line, aussieinrostock@gmail.com

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks for the link to your web site. You did a good job, it looks GREAT! :)

Thanks for the apprecation. I think just about all the info is there now, although I'm sure more pages will appear from time to time in response to questions on Cruise Critic. Just needs a bit of tizzying-up with photos.

Thanks again, if visitors enjoy and find it useful then all the time and effort is worthwhile.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, Yes, thats right. Rickmers Reederi operate container ships and Rickmers Linie operate heavy lift, break bulk ships. I have sailed on both but prefer the latter, more ports and more time in each. They carry a maximum of 8 passengers (more often 3 or 4) on their Pearl String-Round the World service, using 9 ships at roughly two week intervals. At the moment, due to the pirate situation, they do not carry passengers between the Mediterannean and Singapore. A voyage from Singapore to Europe via the USA takes about 4 months and visits between 20 and 25 ports. It is possible to book segments eg. USA to Europe

For more details of all their voyages and ship descriptions see

www.mcc-marine.de/index.php

With the exception of the Norwegian Coastal and the Rhine/Danube cruises all my voyages have been on ships operated by Rickmers and I have never been disappointed with either the service or the comfort. I love the involvement with the daily work of the ship, the friendliness of the officers and crew, the feeling of being a part of the Rickmers 'family' but being able to be alone if you want to (impossible with 1000+ other passengers). However it is very different to cruising and not for everyone.

If you have any questions about freighter travel please drop me a line, aussieinrostock@gmail.com

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you for the info, Anni. It sounds fascinating!

• 1 year later...

www.luebeck-tourism.de

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni

Hi Anni,

I appreciated the careful advice you gave on the Cruise critic Boards previously to one couple about wheelchair use in Warnmunde, and I wondered about Lubeck. I am travelling with my parents, cruising to Kiel in June this year , and I would love to get to Lubeck as it looks to be a wonderful Old Town. My parents and I enjoy just wandering in Old Towns, perhaps sitting for coffee- nothing too strenuous. Mum is in a wheelchair (arthritis) although she can get out and walk a very short way and with a hand rail she can manage up to about 5 steps.

I am wondering if you feel we could manage the train from Kiel to Lubeck, and then manage the cobblestones. We would happily get a local taxi if necessary from the ship ( HA Eurodam) to the Kiel train station, and again from the Lubeck train station to the Old Town if it is more than a few minutes walk. I would love the train, and the bus tour offered by HA is just SOOO expensive for three adults!!!

If you do feel it is feasible, should we pre book the train to alert them of the wheelchair?

Thank you so much, and my apologies if you have replied to this exact question before in one of your many fabulous posts!! if so, just direct me there.

Hi Anni,

I appreciated the careful advice you gave on the Cruise critic Boards previously to one couple about wheelchair use in Warnmunde, and I wondered about Lubeck. I am travelling with my parents, cruising to Kiel in June this year , and I would love to get to Lubeck as it looks to be a wonderful Old Town. My parents and I enjoy just wandering in Old Towns, perhaps sitting for coffee- nothing too strenuous. Mum is in a wheelchair (arthritis) although she can get out and walk a very short way and with a hand rail she can manage up to about 5 steps.

I am wondering if you feel we could manage the train from Kiel to Lubeck, and then manage the cobblestones. We would happily get a local taxi if necessary from the ship ( HA Eurodam) to the Kiel train station, and again from the Lubeck train station to the Old Town if it is more than a few minutes walk. I would love the train, and the bus tour offered by HA is just SOOO expensive for three adults!!!

If you do feel it is feasible, should we pre book the train to alert them of the wheelchair?

Thank you so much, and my apologies if you have replied to this exact question before in one of your many fabulous posts!! if so, just direct me there.

Hi, the cobbles in Lübeck are no worse than most other towns but I am not as familiar with Lübeck as with Rostock so can't really give detailed advice which streets are more wheelchair-friendly. The idea of a taxi to and from the station is a good one as it is a fair step and I seem to remember some steep bits !

It is not possible to reserve seats on the RE between Kiel and Lübeck. The price of the Schleswig Holstein day ticket has increased slightly to 27 euros for one person plus 3euros for each person up to 5 people travelling together.

The station has recently been upgraded and there are now lifts to every platform.

I know that most stations have wheelchair boarding ramps and expect that if you arrive in plenty of time and contact station staff at the information desk it will be arranged but I will check at my local station. This is a free service and wheelchairs are, naturally, carried free.

Hope this helps.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

We will be in Kiel on the Rotterdam. How far is Hamburg from the port ? How does one get from Kiel to Hamburg? Is it possible to do on your own?

Hi,

There is an hourly train service between Kiel and Hamburg on which the Schleswig Holstein day ticket is valid. The travel time is 1 hour 16mins.

Trains arrive at Hamburg Hbf (main station) and the above ticket also covers all public transport (s-bahn, u-bahn, buses and ferries) within the city so it is very easy to get around on your own.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, the cobbles in Lübeck are no worse than most other towns but I am not as familiar with Lübeck as with Rostock so can't really give detailed advice which streets are more wheelchair-friendly. The idea of a taxi to and from the station is a good one as it is a fair step and I seem to remember some steep bits !

It is not possible to reserve seats on the RE between Kiel and Lübeck. The price of the Schleswig Holstein day ticket has increased slightly to 27 euros for one person plus 3euros for each person up to 5 people travelling together.

The station has recently been upgraded and there are now lifts to every platform.

I know that most stations have wheelchair boarding ramps and expect that if you arrive in plenty of time and contact station staff at the information desk it will be arranged but I will check at my local station. This is a free service and wheelchairs are, naturally, carried free.

Hope this helps.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you very much! and your information on your website is very helpful , too.

Hi,

There is an hourly train service between Kiel and Hamburg on which the Schleswig Holstein day ticket is valid. The travel time is 1 hour 16mins.

Trains arrive at Hamburg Hbf (main station) and the above ticket also covers all public transport (s-bahn, u-bahn, buses and ferries) within the city so it is very easy to get around on your own.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Can you buy the ticket in Kiel or do you have purchase it on line before you leave.

Can you buy the ticket in Kiel or do you have purchase it on line before you leave.

You can certainly buy the ticket in Kiel either from a ticket machine or a ticket office but please be aware that it will cost 2euros more from an office. There is no limit on the number of Länder tickets available.

Buying on-line saves valuable time on the day and is less stressful - more time to study the instructions and no pressure from the queue behind you to hurry! If you need help there is a 'how to buy tickets on-line' page on my web site.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Archived