Is an aft balcony worth it?

aidansaunt2004

I've read threads where people are saying they love the aft balconies!

Is the aft balcony really worth the extra money?

We're looking at the Liberty.

Isn't it just a little bit larger?

The balconies are deeper. The aft wrap balconies are much bigger.

The aft balconies are a little deeper, the ones on Verandah deck next to the wraps have a deeper and wider balcony. I had a aft on Destiny on my last cruise and have an aft next to the wrap on Verandah on my upcoming cruise. I loved the view of the wake all the time.

One downside is that there is no air movement back there so it can be hot depending on when you go.

I think it's worth it...hanging on the back of the ship greatly reduces any wind that might be occurring from the ship moving through the water. The sound of the wake can be quite mezmorizing. The hallway is usually very quiet because there is no "through" traffic. You are right above the dining room (usually) and right below the Serenity Deck. You get to see the dock workers tie the ship to the pier (some might not care, but I still think it's pretty cool).

The only negatives I've seen are that the ship tends to move a bit more - if there are heavy seas; you have a tendency to walk all the way to the front of the ship to disembark at port; depending on the wind direction, you MAY get a piece or two of soot on the deck; as the ship docks, you may feel the ship vibrate a bit.

If you get a chance...it's even better with one of the aft wraps!

We're considering booking a Carnivore Dream or Breeze cruise and were considering an aft balcony, until I started reading the deck plans and playing with the Carnival website - none of the aft balcony staterooms will accomodate 4!

When you guys say "wrap balcony" are you referring to the premium Vista balcony? At one time weren't those suites? We can get the aft balcony for about $120 more than a basic balcony. I know we had a "mini suite" on the Sensation in 2010 and the balcony wasn't large enough to sit in a chair. You had to turn the chair sideways.

Normally with aft balconies is there overhead coverage?

We had an Aft on the Magic in Europe last October. We wouldn't do it again. It was nice to have the extra room but you don't get the same port views and as I'm a very light sleeper the vibrations from backing into ports etc was too much for me. It woke me up every morning. It was nice to try but we will stick to side balconies from here on in.

They are nothing special.

It was very noisey outside from the water churning up.

It vibrated so bad sometimes that stuff was rattling & falling off the shelves.

Also worse for the lazy people is the walk all the way to the far back.

I would rather have a regular balcony instead.

They are nothing special.

It was very noisey outside from the water churning up.

It vibrated so bad sometimes that stuff was rattling & falling off the shelves.

Also worse for the lazy people is the walk all the way to the far back.

I would rather have a regular balcony instead.

and they are haunted.....I know, six out of my last seven have been afts :cool: and the upcoming Splendor cruise in June, we have a corner aft. Stay away from them at all costs....once you try one you are doomed to searching for corner afts no matter the ship or the destination. They are cursed....:(

Archived