Gripe about food sourcing

Brit33

I am sure I'm not alone in lamenting the constant use of frozen meat shipped (sometimes thousands of miles) from the USA on certain cruise lines, when delicious local produce could easlily be procured in certain local ports.

Obviously this is not possible everywhere, but many countries have food hygiene standards even higher than those found in the States!

Are there any other reasons for not bringing on board more local produce?

I'm sure the cruiselines have contracts with food providers.....and they almost all have "set" menus.....you couldn't do a set menu if you are unsure of what might be available at any given time....

Their food purchasing is some kind of art....to feed thousands of folks everysingle day...they have to have consistancy! And, it's cheaper!!!! That's probably the main reason!

Of course I understand that, but certain ports can provide exactly the same quantity and quality.

If not everywhere, it would be nice at least to have something fresh in the speciality restaurants from time to time.

Of course I understand that, but certain ports can provide exactly the same quantity and quality.

If not everywhere, it would be nice at least to have something fresh in the speciality restaurants from time to time.

Which ports? Where's the large ag farms and ranchs in the Caribbean for instance? Are butchering practicess up to the level of health standards cruise ships need to adopt to prevent mass outbreaks of illnesses? Even local fruits and veggies might not meet those standards.

Frankly, the sustainable food movement is something that primarily the more elitist wine and cheese Volvo/ Prius set in the US seem to flock to. It is more expensive to produce and market. Not necessarily any better in quality or taste or nutritional value. And if Alice Water's restuarant practices are any guide (not saying they are or all others are like her) these aren't very 'local" sources (she trucks things infrom 6-7 hundred miles away), nor are they capable of providing food for 4000+ people for a week.

Which ports? Where's the large ag farms and ranchs in the Caribbean for instance? Are butchering practicess up to the level of health standards cruise ships need to adopt to prevent mass outbreaks of illnesses? Even local fruits and veggies might not meet those standards.

Frankly, the sustainable food movement is something that primarily the more elitist wine and cheese Volvo/ Prius set in the US seem to flock to. It is more expensive to produce and market. Not necessarily any better in quality or taste or nutritional value. And if Alice Water's restuarant practices are any guide (not saying they are or all others are like her) these aren't very 'local" sources (she trucks things infrom 6-7 hundred miles away), nor are they capable of providing food for 4000+ people for a week.

Agree with you crewsweeper. I spent almost 35 years in the food business working for a Fortune 100 food company so I know a little bit about product production, processing food safety and quality control. Not saying that smaller companies don't produce good products but to do it consistently on the scale required by the cruise industry for their ships would almost be impossible.

I am sure I'm not alone in lamenting the constant use of frozen meat shipped (sometimes thousands of miles) from the USA on certain cruise lines, when delicious local produce could easlily be procured in certain local ports.

Obviously this is not possible everywhere, but many countries have food hygiene standards even higher than those found in the States!

This may interest you as it is factual http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3723/is_12_16/ai_n15388320/

Agree with you crewsweeper. I spent almost 35 years in the food business working for a Fortune 100 food company so I know a little bit about product production, processing food safety and quality control. Not saying that smaller companies don't produce good products but to do it consistently on the scale required by the cruise industry for their ships would almost be impossible.
this might interest you http://www.theshipsupplier.com/issues/ShipSupplierv44.pdf

We agree with you when it comes to produce such as fruit and veggies (which are sometimes procured in local ports). As to beef, we are going to disagree since we have spent lots of time in Europe (including France) and been generally underwhelmed by European beef (with the exception of some meat from Scotland). There is a reason why many European tourists (that come to the US or Canada) run to decent Steak Houses for their dinner. That stuff they serve in France they call "entrecote" would often be used as dog food over here (but the frites are great). As an aside, many years ago there was a small budget cruise line called Regency. One year we were cruisng on the 300 passenger Regent Spirit and spent a day docked in Nice. We actually walked with the on-board executive chef as he went to one of the local Nice markets to purchase produce for the ship. He said that he had a budget to make local purchases.... It was a different era :)

Hank

Archived