Stockholm - docking and transportation 2005

Here at last is the updated Stockholm info. The old version has become difficult to read with the new CC format, and also the prices from last year are no longer relevant. So here it is again for 2005.

The reason I started the thread was that the same types of questions regarding Stockholm seemed to be going around on several threads here, so I tried to write down some of the facts. The problem with short answers here and there is that they won’t give the full picture.

An example: if I answer the question “how much does a taxi from Arlanda airport to Stockholm city cost” (SEK 445), someone reading that answer may think the cost from Stockholm to Arlanda airport will be the same. It is not, it costs SEK 475.

So what I have tried to do is to give as full a picture as I can, with the relevant alternatives, and have it all at the same place. The information is in the following posts.

First about docking

There are four main places where cruise ships dock in Stockholm. They are Skeppsbron, Stadsgården, Frihamnen and Nynäshamn. Be aware that the same ship does not always dock in the same place.

Skeppsbron is the quay of Gamla Stan (the Old Town). You can’t be more at the centre of town than here. It is only a few steps away from the Royal Palace.

Stadsgården is right in the centre of Stockholm in an area named Södermalm (the South). If you like to walk you will find Gamla Stan (the Old Town) well within walking distance. Or there is a bus 53 that stops not far from where the ship docks, and goes to Gamla Stan (on week-days every 12-15 minutes).

Frihamnen is in a port area with little of interest nearby. But it is not far from the city centre. A taxi there will take ca 15 minutes. There is a bus from Frihamnen to the city. It is a blue bus number 1 and leaves every 5-10 minutes during daytime. Leaving the bus at Stureplan and walking south from there, you will pass through the main shopping area and in direction towards the Gamla Stan (the Old Town), which is not very far away. If you don’t want to walk there is red bus number 46 from Stureplan to the Old Town. Should you wish to get from Frihamnen to the Vasa Museum, take bus number 76 to Djurgårdsbron. From there it is a short walk across a bridge and to the museum. Or you can take bus 47 to get closer.

Nynäshamn is not in Stockholm at all but in a small town an hour’s journey south of Stockholm. From there it is possible to take a train to the Stockholm Central Station. This summer it appears to be Princess and P&O who dock in Nynäshamn.

To find out where your ship will be docking here is a link http://www.stoports.com/. On the left side, click on “Vessel calls” and choose to look at the list for Stockholm or Nynäshamn. Then, when you get to the list of ships, at the top of the page where it says “Andra ankommande fartyg” choose “Expected cruise vessels” and press view. This will get you the right list of ships. When searching for your cruise, be aware that dates in Sweden are given as YY/MM/DD.

About Stockholm Transportation

Stockholm is easy to get around on public transportation. There are buses, underground traffic and commuter trains. Most people in Stockholm speak English so don’t hesitate to ask for help to find the right place to catch the bus or where to get off.

As for renting a car and driving yourself, it is not a good idea unless you want to visit places outside Stockholm. I live in Stockholm, and wherever I go within the inner city I leave my car at home and use public transport. Taking the car is just a nuisance, you will get caught in traffic jams, and finding somewhere to park is not easy.

This is a link to the site where you can find information on public transport in Stockholm: http://www.sl.se/english/.

To pay for the rides you can either pay on board (more expensive) or buy a prepaid coupon block. Travel within the inner city, valid for one hour, is two coupons which on board costs SEK 30 (as long as you stay within the hour you can change from one means of transport to another as many times as you want). A coupon block with 10 coupons costs SEK 80. A block with 20 coupons costs SEK 145. These blocks can be used by more than one person. So if you are two persons and count on travelling five times at different times during the day a 20 coupon block will cover your travel (2 people x 2 coupons x 5 times = 20) By buying a block you will save SEK 155. Coupon blocks can be bought at the underground station entrances and at many service shops that sell things like magazines and newspapers, fruit and candy etc.

There is also a 24-hour Stockholm transport card. This card can only be used by one person at the same time and will take you on unlimited travel on buses, underground and local trains within Stockholm for 24 hours. Local trains include the trains to Nynäshamn for those who are docked there. Also included with this card are the ferries between the old town and Djurgården (where the Vasa and Skansen museums are). The cost is only SEK 95. Children under 18 and seniors over 65 pay only SEK 55 (photo ID necessary for the discounted cards). This card is sold in the same service shops as the coupon blocks, but not at the underground entrances.

There is the 24-hour Stockholm Card (not to be confused with the above transport card). Both cards give the same transport benefits, but the Stockholm Card will also include entrance to museums, and some boat sightseeing. This card can be bought at certain transport centres and tourist shops, and also in many of the leading hotels in the city. It can also be bought online. The cost for this card is SEK 260.-, children age 7-17 pay 100.-. Here is the link to this card: http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/StockholmsCard___9989__EN.aspx

How to travel to or from Arlanda airport

The main ways to get to the airport are taxi, train or bus.

Taxi

A taxi ride between the city and the airport takes 45 to 50 minutes, but can take a lot longer depending on the traffic situation. Taxi Stockholm, one of the bigger taxi companies in Stockholm, has set prices for travel to and from Arlanda. An ordinary taxi from Arlanda to the inner city (takes 4 passengers) costs SEK 445. If you need a bigger car the cost is SEK 665.

An ordinary car from the inner city to Arlanda costs SEK 475. A bigger car costs SEK 715.

There are other taxi companies that match these prices. But make sure before you enter any car. Unfortunately there is also an independent black taxi market that may overcharge.

Train

The Arlanda Express train is a very quick and convenient way to travel. The train has two stops right under the airport terminals. The ride to, or from, the Stockholm Central Station takes 20 minutes. The cost for a one-way ticket is SEK 190. Here is a link to the Arlanda Express site: http://www.arlandaexpress.com/ where you can find timetables etc. Outside the Central Station there are usually taxis waiting.

Bus

There are also airport coaches leaving outside the terminals. From 7.00 am until 23.00 pm they leave every 10 minutes on week-days, every 15 minutes on Saturday and Sunday. The journey to the Stockholm Central Station area will take around 40 minutes, with a few stops on the way. The cost for a one-way ticket is SEK 89, so it is considerably less than the train. But it is also slower, more crowded and less comfortable. Here is a link http://www.flygbussarna.se/en/default.asp

How to travel to and from Nynäshamn

For those who are on cruise ships docking in Nynäshamn the best alternatives to get to Stockholm are the ships transfer or the local commuter train. There are also taxis. Taxi Nynäs offers a set price of SEK 730 for a taxi that takes 4 persons from Nynäshamn to Stockholm. To return the cost is SEK 655. The e-mail for Taxi Nynäs is info@taxinynas.se.

The ships transfer has the advantage that should it for some reason be delayed the ship will wait. But it is expensive and takes more time than the train.

The train costs SEK 75 per person each way if you pay onboard. But you can either buy a coupon block or a 24-hour transport card before boarding the train. The best alternative is probably the transport card which costs SEK 95, and gives unlimited travel within the Stockholm area for one day.

The commuter train leaves Nynäshamn at 8.07 and at 8.37. But from then on there is only one train each hour, starting at 9.07 and then 10.07, 11.07 etc. The journey to the Stockholm central station takes 1 hour.

There is the possibility to take a bus from the train station at 9.23, (and again at 10.23). The bus is number 860 and it will take you to Västerhaninge train station from where there is a train to Stockholm at 10.08 (11.08). It will arrive at Stockholm Central at 10.38 (11.38).

On a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday (May 5, June 6, June 24) there is no train at 8.37 and no bus/train combo options.

To return to the ship there are trains from Stockholm at 14.52, 15.22, 15.52, 16.22, 16.52, 17.22, and 17.52. Make sure that you are on a carriage that will make it all the way to Nynäshamn. I have understood from other posts here that some carriages are taken off the train on the way. At 14.22 there is a train/bus combo.

On a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday (May 5, June 6, June 24) there are trains only at 14.52, 15.52, 16.52 and 17.52. There are bus/train combo options at 14.22, 15.22 and 16.22.

Here are links to two sites where you can find information: SL, Transport Stockholm, http://www.sl.se/english/ and Tågplus, train combo, http://www.tagplus.se/?entry=direct&tab=2&language=2.

Our ship is in port at Nynashamn on a Saturday in July, so I now know,from this thread and the replus site, that in the summer I HAVE to catch the 9:07 and the 2:52. If we had to wait until the 10:07 train, we might as well not go into Stockholm. Last year, the people who posted on these threads did make the 9:07, so I think there is hope. The train station is on Vasagatan and the T-bana station is across the street if I choose to use it. Thanks again North-bound. Marlyne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone on this site advise where to check specific docking information for a Baltic cruise - specifically Celebrity Constellation Departing June 4? Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallinn, Helsinki, Thanks.

North-bound,

Thanks for all the wonderful information. Our ship will be docking at Stadsgården and I was wondering if there is a place to purchase the transport card right at the dock or would we have to walk to Gamla Stan to pick one up?

Also, how much do the ferries between the old town and Djurgården cost?

Thanks again.

Your information about the Stockholm Transport Card and the Stockholm Card is invaluable to us. I've checked the stockholmtown.com website and it didn't really say where I can get the Stockholm Card near the Nynäshamn

port. I haven't decided whether to buy the Stockholm Transport Card or the Stockholm Card, it all depends on how many museums we can visit for a day there. Our ship is in port from 7am-5:30pm. Are both of these cards available at the main train station in Nynäshamn or are they available in other locations?

I see from other posts that most people get on the 9:07 am train into Stockholm. That means they will get into Stockholm around 10:20am. This will give them 3-4 hours in the city before rushing back to the train station for the hour long train ride back to Nynäshamn.

In your opinion, what is a must-see in Stockholm? We are a group of 4 between the ages of 60-70, so we don't plan to rush. We are all in good health and can walk quite a bit (not to mention adventurous). Unfortunately, we don't know too much about Stockholm. Maybe we can do a museum and just window shop in downtown Stockholm's shopping district....and a nice place to lunch.

Any of your sugestions would be most appreciated.

Please advise. Thanks.

What is the date of your cruise? We are sailing the Star on 2 September.

Why not buy your Stockholm Cards on line? Then you can study the Guide Book that comes with it before you leave.

Kathy already ordered ours a week ago and we should receive them next week.

That way, you can get right on the train instead of wasting time exchanging currency and purchasing the Card.

Probably the biggest and most important attraction is the Vasa Museum and the $12 entrance fee is included in the Stockholm Card.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/Vasamuseet/*****.aspx?lang=en

August 21 to June 9: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. , Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m

June 10 to August 20: 9.30 a.m. - 7 p.m. Closed: May , December 23-25, December 31, January 1.

ADMISSION 2004: Adults - 80 SEK ($12 USD) Adults: Wednesdays 5-8 p.m. - 50 SEK

so there is not a lot of time for us to buy the Stockholm card or the Copenhagen card on-line.

I'll just do some more research on-line and see what others are doing. We may just buy the transport card at the train station if I can find the vendor there.

I believe you may be able to buy the Stockholm Card at the little Kiosk across from the Train Station in Nynashamn. Be sure you have the 260 SEK change with you. I don't know if they take credit cards. Then you can get right on the train.

Your best bet is to check with CD John Lawrence, on board. He will have the latest information for you. A very nice man.

I have had no success in getting return e-mails from the 5 that I sent to T.A.s recommended on the Stockholm Card website but found I could order it directly from them and I ordered it yesterday. I will let you know when I receive it.

Please have a Great Cruise and be sure to post us a Review upon your return.

Thank you.

Merela, The main thing we will do is go to Gamla Stan/old town. It is fabulous for atmospheric old buildings, cobbled streets, the square, shops, food. You can walk there from the Stockholm central train station. Marlyne

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to buy the Stockholm 24 hour transportation card online, so I'm ready to board the train immediately. At the mentioned site, I cannot find a way to buy it, only the 24 hour card that includes museums. Can any one help me with this? Marlyne

I have looked into taking a taxi and have received quotes. In the end I have booked the ship transportation - no tours. The bus leaves at 9:15 and returns at 4:45. I think it gives the most time in the city to walk around, see the sights on my own time table and not be concerned with the train issues. It costs more, but after all the costs involved in this trip - what difference will this make? Of course, this is the attitude that has filled up my closets!

I have learned the answer to my question if anyone is interested. You can't buy the 24 hour transportation card on-line or by phone. We will have to wait until we get there to buy it. Marlyne

• 2 years later...

Archived