CC Meet & Mingle "crashers"

Several years ago, I was at a M&M where a crasher won the big prize of the Aqua Mouse. As they were giving it to her, they found out that she was a crasher. They let her keep it, instead of letting the rest of the registered guests have a chance at winning it. :rolleyes:

To my fading memory, I thought that the raffle ticket is a piece of the invitation you receive in your cabin.

We haven't had much in the way of refreshments since way back, but this time on Mariner back in Dec. they had the old canape's, even the salmon ones that we used to have. And I had made Christmas treats for our group and only had so many to go around. And it was obvious that some people were wondering in and taking them. I was really worried that they would completely disappear before our M&M group completely assembled and we had contests going on on this one. We did run out but don't think it was too much of an inconvenience.

I've also been to some where there seemed to be people that were clueless and didn't interact with us at all. But I really don't mind. Signing up is just a formality that helps them plan better.

From everything I have read, you can get blank ones from guest relations because not everyone gets them delivered to their stateroom like they should. A few people that were actually registered didn't even get the inviations so they missed the event due to the time of it being different than what was published here on CC.

I did not know that. But how would one know to do that if they weren't on CC in the first place?

As mentioned previously by myself and others, there was far more than logoed office supplies raffled away. If that was all it had been I wouldn't be as concerned. But these were prize packages that actually had high values.

I guess I don't really care who wins the prizes, whether it's a lurker or somebody who can't shut up on the boards (such as me:D). I doubt that there are many winners who don't have any clue what they're doing there.

Yes, they are playing by the rules but it makes little sense to me to go to a meet and mingle if you never tried to actually meet the people in the forums that you belong to. After 20 years of doing forums and meets like this maybe I'm just old fashioned, but if you're a lurker then wouldn't you just lurk at the party? What reason is there to go if you're not going to talk to anyone? They certainly can't figure out who to avoid either if they don't bother to talk to anyone and get names.

I like to think that our friends go so they can hang out with us. And we've been at quite a few M&M's where people who were chatty as heck on the Roll Call showed up at the M&M and sat in the corner. Some are more talkative online, some in person. I'm not going to judge or question the motive of somebody who hasn't posted but comes anyway.

Now, on a long-ago cruise on the Sun Princess, we hosted a party in our cabin for our CC group because Princess doesn't sponsor M&M's. I told interested people to email me and I would divulge our cabin location. Somebody emailed me, said she was a lurker and wanted to come to the party. I said ok. Well, she sent her 9 year old son over without her because his older brother didn't want to come and was having a tantrum.:eek: She eventually showed up with said son, who at least was quietly sulking by then.

I had been clear that it was a BYOB party - we had munchies and some sodas, but weren't going to foot the bar tab for 30 strangers. She "forgot" that part, and was eyeing our wine. I was annoyed enough about having an unaccompanied minor in my cabin for 30 minutes (who DOES that????) that I wouldn't let her have any. She went and fetched a bottle (leaving the kids alone in our cabin:eek::eek:) and then settled in on a lounger, and didn't show any sign of departing when everybody else did, so I threw her out.

Now if we're going to have a party I'm firm on my "lurkers need not apply" policy. I don't even post it on the Roll Call unless it's a really small group. Lesson learned!

We haven't had much in the way of refreshments since way back,.

We had a good selection on Allure last May. They did raffle off a ton of odds and ends, the activities director talked, and he brought an IT guy if anyone was having problems connecting.

Now, on a long-ago cruise on the Sun Princess, we hosted a party in our cabin for our CC group because Princess doesn't sponsor M&M's. I told interested people to email me and I would divulge our cabin location. Somebody emailed me, said she was a lurker and wanted to come to the party. I said ok. Well, she sent her 9 year old son over without her because his older brother didn't want to come and was having a tantrum.:eek: She eventually showed up with said son, who at least was quietly sulking by then.

I had been clear that it was a BYOB party - we had munchies and some sodas, but weren't going to foot the bar tab for 30 strangers. She "forgot" that part, and was eyeing our wine. I was annoyed enough about having an unaccompanied minor in my cabin for 30 minutes (who DOES that????) that I wouldn't let her have any. She went and fetched a bottle (leaving the kids alone in our cabin:eek::eek:) and then settled in on a lounger, and didn't show any sign of departing when everybody else did, so I threw her out.

Now if we're going to have a party I'm firm on my "lurkers need not apply" policy. I don't even post it on the Roll Call unless it's a really small group. Lesson learned!

People never cease to amaze...but it sounds like you handled it perfectly, Jean!

But Jean, you've got to admit that was really funny

laughing-019.gif

It was except for the part about sending her kid over alone. It's been 7 years and I still remember him announcing, "I'm Oliver. My mother sent me over because my big brother doesn't want to come and is having a tantrum right now." And he was the first to arrive, so we left the cabin door open just so we couldn't be accused of anything later.

I like to think that our friends go so they can hang out with us. And we've been at quite a few M&M's where people who were chatty as heck on the Roll Call showed up at the M&M and sat in the corner. Some are more talkative online, some in person. I'm not going to judge or question the motive of somebody who hasn't posted but comes anyway.

Good grief, what nerve she had....it takes all kinds doesn't it?

I have an objection to people that just sign up for a meet and mingle but never socialize or even say hello to the group prior to the cruise also attending just so they can win prizes.

These people make a contribution by helping to meet the Meet & Mingle quorum so I have no objection at all to their attending.

One can always post a photo of themselves in the roll call beforehand.

In my case, no way. I'm always amazed by the amount of personal information that people put out for everyone to view on the Roll Calls & a photo would be way too much commitment on my part. ;)

Archived