CC Meet & Mingle "crashers"

I have been to M&Ms in areas of the VCL,where it was not roped off just for our group.........the other people just sat there and went about their own business.Not like they would get free drinks or any great food out of the deal.....at least not from any M&Ms I have been to.

And so what if someone does. What's wrong with meeting another cruiser?

I agree and have been wondering I am the only one that has signed up in our group of 12 and have been wondering if it would be ok if any of them come as well. So just don't do the net alot

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Since not all lounges are closed off, I am wondering if people tend to wander in during the meet and mingle that aren't from cruise critic and weren't invited.

As mentioned, that really wouldn't be a problem as many Meet and Mingle events are pretty dull...........

Just saying.....;)

As mentioned, that really wouldn't be a problem as many Meet and Mingle events are pretty dull...........

Just saying.....;)

As long as one of the crashers doesn't take the drink out of my hand, or grope my wife, I'll be fine. :rolleyes:

I agree and have been wondering I am the only one that has signed up in our group of 12 and have been wondering if it would be ok if any of them come as well. So just don't do the net alot

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Are you sure there are enough signed up to have one for your cruise? If not, get some of your group to sign up so they even have one. I always get anyone traveling with us to sign up and tell them if they don't want to go it's not mandatory, most of them go and enjoy it for what it is.....

Not like they would get free drinks or any great food out of the deal.....

As mentioned, that really wouldn't be a problem as many Meet and Mingle events are pretty dull....

Agreed on both counts. ;)

M&M are held during the day with not much more than iced water and lemonade available - maybe some finger foods but there is certainly no alcohol or a big spread of any kind. What you may find is people who have been following your Roll Call who never introduced themselves; one M&M, a "silent follower" walked away with one of the big door prizes (dinner at a specialty restaurant or something). No biggie, just an observation. :p

EDITED to add: if there are not enough people on a Roll Call for an "official" RCI M&M, then feel free to set something informal up. Actually, we tend to do that anyway, meeting somewhere before embarkation (a hotel, perhaps) or even on deck before sailaway.

It was more of a thought if they did a raffle or there was a gift exchange/cabin crawl/free drinks etc.

As far as the gift exchange,only those who bring gifts are supposed to get one........

as far as the raffle,they get a ticket when they check in......so if they really want a chance at a keychain,so be it..:p

Cabin crawls are usually prearranged.....but if they should tag along,whats the big deaL??

Only free drinks I ever had were water,lemonade,etc.......

and you never know,it will help promote CC and we'll have a new member signing on!

At our Meet & Mingle they gave way 3 or 4 very nice prize packages courtesy of the ship. Champagne, Internet, chocolates, etc. I wondered myself how many were really cruise critic members... as we had a rather high number of people that none of the core group of us seemed to know. I have an objection to people that just sign up for a meet and mingle but never socialize or even say hello to the group prior to the cruise also attending just so they can win prizes.

At our Meet & Mingle they gave way 3 or 4 very nice prize packages courtesy of the ship. Champagne, Internet, chocolates, etc. I wondered myself how many were really cruise critic members... as we had a rather high number of people that none of the core group of us seemed to know. I have an objection to people that just sign up for a meet and mingle but never socialize or even say hello to the group prior to the cruise also attending just so they can win prizes.

Sometimes(this is my observation),some of the group form friendships(the "core group") and tend to stick to themselves and not mingle with the others........therefore the shyer ones just sit amongst themselves......not everyone is outgoing and will walk around to talk to others.....just the ones in their immediate area..

I really dont think anyone signs up just to win a prize.:rolleyes:

At every MM I've done they gave away a RCI pen and notepad, or another promo freebie gift. I've never ever seen anything given away that was worth more than a few dollars. Don't get your hopes up!

Sometimes(this is my observation),some of the group form friendships(the "core group") and tend to stick to themselves and not mingle with the others........therefore the shyer ones just sit amongst themselves......not everyone is outgoing and will walk around to talk to others.....just the ones in their immediate area..

I really dont think anyone signs up just to win a prize.:rolleyes:

I have to agree. We stopped going to M&M's quite some time ago. Way to many settled into their own clique/group. I have also seen this on the roll calls.

I also agree that it is rather doubtful someone is signing up just to win a prize. It was very rare for us to see prizes worth just showing up for. Not saying it has not happened just don't count on it.

At every MM I've done they gave away a RCI pen and notepad, or another promo freebie gift. I've never ever seen anything given away that was worth more than a few dollars. Don't get your hopes up!

I think you're missing that I said this IS what they gave away on Feb 5th on the Oasis. This isn't wishful thinking. There were 3-4 packages with internet time, champagne, dinners and other very nice items in them. It wasn't keychains and cheap junk.

My thoughts

I make badges for my CruiseCriters so if someone crashes they would not have a badge

What about people traveling with a CruiseCriter but never "registered" would they be welcomed.

Lets say one wears a CruiseCritic hat or lanyard and someone asks what is this all about and you invite invite them to M&M whereas they join CC in the internet cafe.

What about the Roll Call lurkers what do we do with them?

I all else fails make them walk the plank:rolleyes:

I have to agree. We stopped going to M&M's quite some time ago. Way to many settled into their own clique/group. I have also seen this on the roll calls.

I also agree that it is rather doubtful someone is signing up just to win a prize. It was very rare for us to see prizes worth just showing up for. Not saying it has not happened just don't count on it.

Even worse - not a Royal Caribbean Roll Call, but on the Carnival Dream Roll Call for the holiday cruise in 2010, it felt like everyone was trying to one-up one another. Before Facebook was discouraged, the ring leader created a FB group, and I stupidly joined and added my sister. Well, my sister and I were quite entertained watching the drama unfold (I was off at college and sis was at home - when I came home right before the cruise, it turned out that we both despised the same person, "Keith").

This Keith person was a super pessimist, shooting everyone down and trying to one-up everyone. He always had to be right.

Needless to say, my sister and I stayed the heck away from that Meet & Mingle because there wasn't one person who we were interested in meeting. Get back home and open up FB - turns out Keith didn't even show at the event (we actually spotted him on the ship and looked the other way). Everyone was super offended that he was a jerk and didn't have the man parts to show his face. Then he said that the event was for Cruise Critic members and he wasn't on CC. :confused: How the heck did this random guy get on the FB group? Perhaps his wife is a CC member and added him... she was equally chatty but not quite as offensive.

The point of a Meet and Mingle is for members of a forum that talk to each other to get together and meet face to face after having talked to each other for months prior to the cruise. Whether they participated a lot or a little bit doesn't matter... but that they actually bothered to say hello and introduce themselves. I can't imagine wanting to go to a party where I didn't know anyone.... unless there was something of value in it like prizes or free drinks. As for guests of the member, I think it is perfectly acceptable to bring a person or two with you as you can introduce them properly. I enjoyed getting to have some face time with all of the people I've met on here and meeting their SOs.

I've been participating in forums for about 15-20 years now. Whenever we had get togethers of this nature it's always been about meeting the friends you made. I understand being shy as well as I used to be very very extremely shy, but even if I went to a social gathering I always tried to meet the people I'd been talking to online.

We also had a problem with the honeymooner party being crashed by many non-honeymooners in order to get the free champagne

What is the point in handing out private invites to something if it isn't private? :)

They gave away a LOT of stuff on our June Ex cruise. Several bottles of wine, and multiple $50 free internet coupons were the ones I remember. I couldn't believe how much stuff they gave out! Adam would have been going insane.

Oh yeah someone won a shore excursion for 2.

Archived