Ruby has Noro again....

mikew40

We are currently sailing on the Ruby and we have been told that the NORO virus is on the ship and it broke out last night. We are now in lockdown, no salt etc............. My hands are already numb as I am washing every chance I get. Hopefully it clears up quick.

We are currently sailing on the Ruby and we have been told that the NORO virus is on the ship and it broke out last night. We are now in lockdown, no salt etc............. My hands are already numb as I am washing every chance I get. Hopefully it clears up quick.

On my, sorry to hear that Mike and Belinda. Be VERY carefull in the Horizon Court. Don't drink from any tumbler or cup that you find already on the table. Be very suspicious of any silverware that you find inside a folded napkin on the table UNLESS you observe different people bussing the tables and setting the tables. If you observe the same person doing both jobs, see if you can tell if they wash or sanitize their hands in between touching soiled utensils and clean ones. If in doubt, get a clean tumbler, fill it with hot water, and dunk your silverware in the hot water for 5 minutes or so. DO NOT lay any clean silverware on the table - there's no telling who ate there last and how well the table was cleaned afterwards - a swipe with a wet rag doesn't get it. And, after you go through the buffet line and handle the tongs and spigot handles that people who don't wash their hands also use, sanitize your hands again just before you eat. Think cross-contamination and break the chain between everything that is possibly contaminated and your mouth.

Stay well.

Say it isn't so.:( Wow. Ruby and its passengers/crew have been through too much.

One thing I wondered after the last outbreak. I know when the ships come in they get sanitized. But do they sanitize the terminal to the same level? If not, every handrail is a viral festival...

I also think of the airport...the people get off the ship and go to the airport while the people getting on the ship are going through the airport and using the same transfers and cabs. Wash, wash, wash...all the time!

I really hope it isn't true! I do have to question whether this report is accurate. It would be good to have someone else on the Ruby now to corroborate this. The reason I question the OP is that I was on the Ruby last week and about the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise, there was a posting on CC with this same message....that Noro had shown up on the ship. Well....it WASN"T true! There was no sign of Noro at all. We challenged the post and I think the thread was eventually taken down.

Sooo....anyone else on Ruby this week?

I am also on the Ruby right now and the information is correct. We have not been told how many people are sick. Looks like they are doing what they can to contain it. People out and about tonight are having a good time.

I really hope it isn't true! I do have to question whether this report is accurate. It would be good to have someone else on the Ruby now to corroborate this. The reason I question the OP is that I was on the Ruby last week and about the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise, there was a posting on CC with this same message....that Noro had shown up on the ship. Well....it WASN"T true! There was no sign of Noro at all. We challenged the post and I think the thread was eventually taken down.

Sooo....anyone else on Ruby this week?

Truth is it doesn't really matter whether it is true or not. It also doesn't matter whether they sanitize the terminal either. There are cases of Noro everyday in schools, nursing homes, jails, hospitals, everywhere you go. Noro on the Ruby isn't news - it is an unfortunate part of everyday life. Unless you close down the entire world for a week and sanitize every nook and cranny Noro will always be a part of our everyday life. Washing your hands isn't a cure all nor is it a quarantee that you won't get Noro. It is simply the best preventative available. You can take all the precautions you want and it is still a roll of the dice. The real winner in all of this Noro talk is Purell.......doesn't work against the Noro virus but everyone wants to use it $$$ Venting is over.....OMG I feel so much better:D

Truth is it doesn't really matter whether it is true or not. It also doesn't matter whether they sanitize the terminal either. There are cases of Noro everyday in schools, nursing homes, jails, hospitals, everywhere you go. Noro on the Ruby isn't news - it is an unfortunate part of everyday life. Unless you close down the entire world for a week and sanitize every nook and cranny Noro will always be a part of our everyday life. Washing your hands isn't a cure all nor is it a quarantee that you won't get Noro. It is simply the best preventative available. You can take all the precautions you want and it is still a roll of the dice. The real winner in all of this Noro talk is Purell.......doesn't work against the Noro virus but everyone wants to use it $$$ Venting is over.....OMG I feel so much better:D

I agree, this is no surprise, its everywhere. :(

I'm saddened to hear this as I thought that Noro outbreaks had ended as reported on local news.

To those onboard, please avoid using public restrooms, stay away from the buffet, wash your hands regularly and use hand sanitizer, and try not to touch handrails, elevator buttons, etc. if at all possible.

Be well and enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

Chris

Couldn't have said this better myself..........thank you!

There are cases of Noro everyday in schools, nursing homes, jails, hospitals, everywhere you go. Noro on the Ruby isn't news - it is an unfortunate part of everyday life. Unless you close down the entire world for a week and sanitize every nook and cranny Noro will always be a part of our everyday life.:D

The Washington Post had an article Tuesday (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/stomach-virus-cases-increasing/2012/02/28/gIQAzRrBhR_story.html) about multiple cases (over 100) in a local elementary school and over 85 in a single day at a local university. Most of us can't/don't live in a bubble. Practice good hygiene and hope other folks do too but don't lose sleep (and weaken your immune system :D) fretting over what might or might not happen!

Is the Noro Virus more rampant in the winter/spring time rather than other seasons, or is it year round? We have it in many local elementary schools here but this seems to be bad this winter.

mikew40,Hope you are well. Would you kindly please give us an update on the outbreak. Those of us who are sailing this Sunday would like to be able to plan port arrival times in the event of a delayed sailing. Thanks you.

I am also on the Ruby right now and the information is correct. We have not been told how many people are sick. Looks like they are doing what they can to contain it. People out and about tonight are having a good time.

cats36,Please keep us updated. Thank you. Be well and enjoy Grand Turk.

We were on the Ruby on 2/5. We were late boarding due to 'deep cleaning' of the ship. Yes, we were worried but had a great time.

The ship's crew did a wonderful job as they cleaned all the time and worked very hard. We used the main dining rooms all the time and avoided the buffet, avoided public restrooms, washed hands constantly--we carried small hand sanitizers with us. It is better that they alert everyone and take early precautionary measures early on.

Stay well and enjoy the cruise. The Ruby is a beautiful ship.

Is the Noro Virus more rampant in the winter/spring time rather than other seasons, or is it year round? We have it in many local elementary schools here but this seems to be bad this winter.

In the Washington DC area, the Washington Post reports that

"In Virginia, the number of outbreaks is about 20 percent higher than during the same period last year, health officials said.

Maryland health officials said that so far, the overall number of outbreaks in that state is comparable with recent years, but since January and February are peak times for the nasty and highly contagious bug, they are asking residents to take simple precautions, like washing their hands, to avoid infection."

I'm sure it varies around the country.

People say that it can happen at any time, but the fact that the it keeps returning to the same two ships makes me think that Princess/the staff are doing something that is keeping it from being eliminated.

Archived