Which is best southern caribbean itinerary on ADVENTURE?

Adventure of Seas has 2 southern caribbean itineraries ..trying to decide which one to book!

One goes to these islands:

-St Thomas

-St Kitts

-Curacao

-Aruba

The other itinerary goes to these islands:

-Barbados

-Antigua

-St Martin

-St Lucia

-St Croix

Has anyone done both trips?

Any suggestions or comments on which of these islands are really great would be appreciated. My husband and I like to do lots of fun and adventurous stuff, not just sightseeing.

Thanks!

I've done both (err... first itinerary varied slightly - Dominica instead of Aruba), and personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either! :)

St. Lucia is a great island for fun and adventurous. It's very lush and mountainous. We did ziplining with a company called Treetop Adventure Park (recommended to us by a young couple we met onboard - they have done the ziplining, mountain biking [very strenuous], and hiking tours through Treetop). I recommend booking an excursion to do this because we tried to wing it and get a cab, which was very expensive... we ended up tagging along with an excursion.

Barbados is a little dull... it's mostly a beach/sightseeing tour port.

We've taken a jeep tour on St. Croix, and it was great. There isn't much shopping there, so if you aren't beach people, definitely book an excursion.

St. Martin has tons of excursion options such as catamaran racing and snorkeling tours - great for the adventurous type!

And then we beached in in Antigua, so I can't really tell you what types of adventurous activities there are to choose from. The beaches are gorgeous, though - such a unique, crystal blue water!

Now, for the other itinerary...

St. Thomas is a popular port... we've done several excursions there, our favorite being a bike tour of Water Island.

St. Kitts is actually our favorite port, but it's because it's rather uninhabited and just pure and gorgeous with the beaches. The beaches are a long drive from the port... and there are wild (and domesticated) green monkeys on the island!

We have completed both itineraries, with a slight variation:

• St Thomas
  • St Martin
  • Antigua
  • St Lucia
  • Barbados

• Aruba
  • Curacao
  • St Martin
  • St Thomas

We truly enjoy St Martin - great port, you have to visit.

Aruba and Curacao are truly beautiful, if you can get to those I highly recommend it. In Aruba, we did the horseback on the beach and in Curacaso we did the cooking class.

St Lucia is beautiful. We did a catamaran (sp) with snorkeling. Fun, but would have rather gone with the zip line.

Given your options, we would go with the first one St Thomas, St Kitts (which we did on our last cruise), Aruba, and Curacao.

If we missed Antigua, we would be OK with it. That leaves St Lucia, St Martin, and Barbados (which is OK, but kind of boring). Never been to St Croix

Hope this helps.

The Aruba/ Curacao is my favorite route in all the Carribean. We have done this one twice. I did the Barbados route once- it was good but I love Aruba. They used to do St Martin also on this route and St Martin is my favorite island.... so much fun.

Adventure is a great ship and would sail her again. Love leaving out of PR- I get there a day early and stay a day later ( ck the airfare- sometimes you can save quite a bit)- this really extends your vacation. Enjoy- there is no bad choice.

Thanks so much for the info!

Sooo....Barbados is not all that great? And Aruba is better?

I have heard romantic things about both islands in movies and such, but looks like I'm going to have to choose one over the other.

So is the general opinion that Aruba would win out over Barbados?

If so, that narrows down which itinerary to choose!

I have heard romantic things about both islands in movies and such, but looks like I'm going to have to choose one over the other.

We are doing these itineraries as a B2B on the Adventure Of The Seas starting 18 March 2012. We've been to all the port's multiple times with the exception of St. Croix. You may want to Cruise on over to the "Ports Of Call” forums for more detailed answers to your questions concerning the different Ports.

We've been to all these islands, most of them many times. We prefer the 2nd itinerary. I'm not wild about Aruba, I find it boring, but always find plenty to do on Barbados. And we don't spend a lot of days sitting on beaches. There are lots of boat tours on Barbados, as well as exploring on the island. We've been to ARuba 4 times, always rent a car - you can drive around the entire island in less than a day, with time left over. I do love Curacao, though. Antigua is one of our favorite islands - we love Adventure Antigua's tours. Plus, we prefer port days to sea days, so the extra sea day on that first itinerary is a minus for us.

We just got back from a back to back with this itinerary. While both weeks were great, if I had to pick one it would be the second itinerary that includes Barbados.

We've done these ports many times and have our favorite activities on each island - my favorite days for this cruise were the Silvermoon in Barbados and Orient Beach in St. Martin.

Have never left from San Juan but are thinking of the Adventure for next year. We would want to go a day early and stay a day later. Any good suggestions of where to stay for these 2 nights? Don't want to break the bank on a hotel stay but do want a safe and comfortable location.

Have never left from San Juan but are thinking of the Adventure for next year. We would want to go a day early and stay a day later. Any good suggestions of where to stay for these 2 nights? Don't want to break the bank on a hotel stay but do want a safe and comfortable location.

Check out priceline; we got the Marriott Stellaris for $110/ni. If you go to the San Juan board there is a sticky at the top about bidding on priceline. Find out which hotel is selling now and determine if you want to stay there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

We just got back from a back to back with this itinerary. While both weeks were great, if I had to pick one it would be the second itinerary that includes Barbados.

We've done these ports many times and have our favorite activities on each island - my favorite days for this cruise were the Silvermoon in Barbados and Orient Beach in St. Martin.

Doing this itinerary on a B2B in November.... countdown is killing me... can you describe what happens during turnaround please....

Doing this itinerary on a B2B in November.... countdown is killing me... can you describe what happens during turnaround please....

We just completed a B2B on Adventure Jan/Feb. If you have the same cabin for both legs, it is easy. There will be a Consecutive Cruisers get together on the last day before reaching San Juan, and they explain the process. We had our new Sea Pass delivered to the cabin on the last evening, marked with a green sticker so you could differentiate between the two. We were required this time to get off, clear Immigration, click off your first sea pass and click on your new one. Different from last year when we did not have to get off at all, so you never know which situation it may be. You can go into San Juan if you want, anytime after 8am, but cannot return til after 12:30. Or you can stay onboard.

They also have a special luncheon in the MDR for those staying on.

We've been to all these islands, most of them many times. We prefer the 2nd itinerary. I'm not wild about Aruba, I find it boring, but always find plenty to do on Barbados. And we don't spend a lot of days sitting on beaches. There are lots of boat tours on Barbados, as well as exploring on the island. We've been to ARuba 4 times, always rent a car - you can drive around the entire island in less than a day, with time left over. I do love Curacao, though. Antigua is one of our favorite islands - we love Adventure Antigua's tours. Plus, we prefer port days to sea days, so the extra sea day on that first itinerary is a minus for us.

I actually feel just the opposite about Aruba. I love traveling around the side opposite from the port. I find the topography of the island fascinating.

Well if you can't do a b2b and we chose to do this as airfare is pricey, then we both just said the Barbados one. It is awesome. Would I do the other one? Oh yes...we are booked on another b2b on the adventure next feb. The only difference is the arrangement of the days.

Tough decision you have for sure but you sure can't beat this ship. The two weeks last month were our best in 26 cruises. Hands down the best service in every aspect. Food so much better than what we just experienced on the Allure in December.

PS: a special thanks to Oceanboy....he started our adventure on the adventure although the Explorer has a special place in our hearts.

I have stayed at the Marriott Stellaris many time- beautiful beach and hotel... I have also stayed at the Intercontinential- lots of hotels and resturants nearby and more to do.

Old San Juan always looks nice- never stayed- no beach.

Enjoy- can't wait to come back to Puerto Rico and on Adventure!

We did the 2nd route last May, and loved it. Can't rec hotels in SJ, as we flew in the same day (eek I know, wedding was the night before so we had no choice really). Our sea day was first, which was nice to relax and unwind into vacation mode before hitting Barbados. We are also action people, here's what we did:

-Day 2 Barbados- took a cab to the beach, we had to pay a little money for access to chairs, umbrellas, and a welcome drink. There was a rope swing off the dock and we negotiated a jet ski rental with a local- $15 for 30 minutes when DH got done with it! Not bad! Barbados by far had the clearest water I've ever seen.

-Day 3 St. Lucia- did the RCCL Land and Sea tour. I could have done without the "land" part, a bit too slow for me. The sea part was great though, catamaran around the island with rum punch flowing! We met a lot of great people on that part.

-Day 4 Antigua- booked snorkeling through RCCL, we didn't see as many fish as I was expecting, but again, just great to be out on the water. Also stopped at a beach and there was food and drink provided on the catamaran.

-Day 5 St Martin- this is DH favorite island in the caribbean! We went to Orient Beach in the morning and Maho Bay after lunch, to watch the planes lane- look up online if you've never seen this! There was a bar there that we sat at which was nice. The two beaches were on opposite ends of the island, so we actually went back to the ship for lunch between.

-Day 6 St Croix- best excursion we did! Gecko ATV tour- rode ATVs all over the island, including to the very top of the rainforest! It was awesome, and I can't say enough great things. We did the half day tour. In the morning, we rode horses on the beach, a fun bucket list item but I probably don't need to do that one again for a long time.

Hope this helps! You will love either route I am sure!

I actually feel just the opposite about Aruba. I love traveling around the side opposite from the port. I find the topography of the island fascinating.

We prefer the opposite side of the island, too. And you're right, the topography's fascinating. However, after 4 times we don't need to do it again. There are islands where we have things we like to do that we never tire of, but Aruba isn't one of them.

Barbados-We swam/snorkeled with the turtles and it was AWESOME!! They are gigantic!

Aruba- We also loved our beach day here. We've even considered spending a weeks vacation in Aruba. Gorgeous place!

With that said, we also love St. Marteen and St. Lucia.

I don't think you will go wrong with either!;)

~Steph

We stayed in SJ at DA House Hotel!! Very reasonable and we felt very safe. Beautiful rooms, and close to the port. I actually got the information from the cruise critic and that other site for Trip reviews.

Only downfall was no elevator. But we were very very satisfied with this place and it was super reasonable. It has some spectacular views. We walked to the Sheraton and rented a van for the two days we were there pre-cruise. We visited the forts , the rainforest and many beautiful places! Check it out! :D

~Steph

By the Way, you will notice how they describe their rooms. "close to the party" , "mostly quiet" etc... they like to party in the late hours of the night in SJ. With that said we chose an "away from the party" room and were fine. Also they have some great places to eat within walking distance! ;)

We've done both versions many times, but I love the Aruba/Curacao leg. It was even better when St. Marteen was in the itinerary as I did not particularly care for St. Kitts--It's beaches were dark and not silky smooth sand because it is of volcanic residue.

Numero Uno Guest House is a great place right on the beach. You can check it out online. Its a very quaint place right on the beach, lovely.

We stayed in SJ at DA House Hotel!! Very reasonable and we felt very safe. Beautiful rooms, and close to the port. I actually got the information from the cruise critic and that other site for Trip reviews.

Only downfall was no elevator. But we were very very satisfied with this place and it was super reasonable. It has some spectacular views. We walked to the Sheraton and rented a van for the two days we were there pre-cruise. We visited the forts , the rainforest and many beautiful places! Check it out! :D

~Steph

We stayed at The Numero Uno Guest House this year for 3 nights its on the beach. Very relaxing and not far from the Condado if you want to party. Last year we stayed at Da House in the heart of Old San Juan, loved that one too, Da House is the party central for alot of locals. Price wise you cant go wrong with either.

Archived