Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response. (emphasis mine)

We'll have to agree to disagree then. From memory of many previous posts by the OP over the years, my original statement still applies. I'll also offer that the OP knew full and well that their own name wasn't on the list for their cabin, but left out that detail because it dimishes the response she is hoping to provoke.

Now many things have been said about me, many inflammatory, but to say I have a tendency to start tip related threads is an outright lie. As a matter of fact I rarely if ever even respond in such threads. If you go back and look at the threads I've started, alot of folks here like to do that kinda research, my threads may be a tad bit different or the questions may seem random, but they are not about tipping. So I would appreciate a retraction from you or you should specifically detail the many threads I've started on the topic of tipping. My contention is that you won't be able to do this because they are simply not there. Case closed.

Ok, I went back and did the legwork...I started a thread called, "help me understand the logic of this..." where I was asking not about the amount of tips and how much, but why folks were so concerned about tipping on a cruise and not in land based hotels.

Pickle,

Do not let the comments bother you so much.. it is what it is. One question I would have is did you see your name next to your cabin? Is is possible this was a list from the previous cruise as someone suggested? Just wondering, not saying you are wrong, just asking,

Bob

Don't be a Cheapskate! They do post who has removed their auto-tips as well they should. I heard one jerk a few rooms down explain to our Steward that he had removed his tips and then would tip accordingly. I bet he stiffed the poor steward.

I bet the steward thought he would too. I hope he hid his toothbrush.:D

Get over myself? Cause I am bragging about being a server?? I'm riled up about a list being in plain sight of other passengers and the idea that some people have that they would change their service based on this. I never said it was to embarrass a non tipper and I certainly NEVER said that I wouldn't tip. I am shocked that me saying I am a server and questioning how innapropriate it is to have this list out in the open would lead you to believe I don't tip...speaking of having facts before flipping out.....

From what I've read the clip board is on the steward's cart. It seems to me that only someone who is nosey would poke around there. My best guess the list is used for many purposes, one likely being to note special requests from their guests, such as passenger X needs extra towels, passenger Y wants extra ice, etc. Exactly where do you want the Steward to keep this information, if not on his/her workspace?

If it has the tipping info, it is likely something that is put on their by their supervisor, assuming tip removal is tracked. Perhaps the stewards on that ship are being told what passengers have removed the tips to ensure that they provide excellent service and that their supervisors will be monitoring the work they do in those cabins.

While I know it has been posted on here that Carnival does not have the tipped crew turn in any tips they get should a passenger remove the auto tips. I assume this is a general Carnival policy. However I have also read on various boards (eg. Princess) that the Hotel Director has a lot of latitude on how they run the ship (from the hotel side). Is it possible that individual Carnival ships have different policies in this regard, in other words can the Hotel Director overrule the Carnival's general policy and have tips turned in when the autotip is removed? Some Hotel Directors may view tip removal as a service issue and having the threat that tips would need to be turned in if the autotip is removed, might ensure that the tipped crew provide good service. I also wonder if the percentage of tip removal is used as an evaluation tool for upper ship management? For example if a ship has consistently a high removal rate than perhaps headquarters might feel the Restaurant Manager, Housekeeping Manager and Hotel Director are not providing good management on that ship.

"a week of fantastic service (I have NEVER had anything less on Carnival)"

Really? My first cruise was impeccable service, my second not bad at all. My last, several problems and a few grumpy staff. Though, we all have bad days, Several never acknowledged us or smiled and twice we had room issues, one night we had a no show steward, so before bed I went down to the desk to get the next day's FunTimes and make a comment. Even watched 4 get into a verbal argument in the buffet. Even then my auto gratuity stayed. I am pretty lenient, my wife adjusted hers though slightly. It was a nice cruise never the less, and some staff made up for it with splendid service and treatment.

Never had less than fantastic? I wanna cruise with you.

I'll add 2 things, 1.) The verbal fight of four over who will clean up the spilled salad ( btw, my wife did in front of them) was entertaining for the several groups of people watching this all had smiles and treated it like a floor show. Afterwards the staff did look embarassed.

2.) I work in the tourism business and deal with tourists daily. I know how they on board can have a bad day. I just wish my employer allowed us, who work with the public all day, to accept tips. Then again, I atleast am paid a living wage.

honestly, as someone who's worked as a server for years and depended on tips for my pay...if i saw a list that they were carrying around, i would be tempted to complain and/or remove my tips. That's just rude and petty imo. I can't imagine being a server and carrying around an index card of who is a good tipper and who isn't so i could plan my service accordingly...

like!

I don't understand the problem. If you are so cheap what is the difference if the staff knows how cheap you are.

They should post a list somewhere of those that don't tip so all the passengers know the names. Again what is the difference? Those that tip will not have their name on the list and those that don't tip don't care anyway so there name a list is immaterial. Why would non tippers care if everyone know who they are?

Why do you non tippers care who knows you didn't tip? Why is this such a big deal?

It’s not like the non tipper cares that they don't tip.

I think Carnival should raise cruise prices by $100 pp, pay their staff fairly and let me tip who went "above and beyond" for me.

The way I see it now, I'm not tipping so much as paying "just another fee". :shrug

What of the rumors that staff are not allowed to accept individual tips and must pool any cash they receive or face consequences? Any truth to that?

Why is that amusing to you??? :confused:

So remove your tips or don't tip if this offends you.

It never ceases to amaze me that for mere dollars a day people get so insane and totally irate.

It's unbelievable to me that this could cause such a stir.

You all keep arguing over the lousy couple bucks a day that gets automatically charged to your account.

I wish they'd post the list on the jumbo screen out on the pool deck. It would be more interesting than what's usually shown on there anyway.

And after they get so bent out of shape state they would rather it be included in the fare.:confused:

What's the difference, one way or the other you are still paying it.:eek:

Bill

And after they get so bent out of shape state they would rather it be included in the fare.:confused:

What's the difference, one way or the other you are still paying it.:eek:

Bill

I totally agree with you!!

I realized when the lines implemented the fuel surcharge a couple years back and people were saying they would rather it was included in the fare, that people are ostriches...If they don't see it, they can pretend it doesn't exist.

Something for them to keep in mind is that IF anything they pay extra for was included in the fare, it would wind up costing them more because they'd be taxed on it.

Ok, I went back and did the legwork...I started a thread called, "help me understand the logic of this..." where I was asking not about the amount of tips and how much, but why folks were so concerned about tipping on a cruise and not in land based hotels.

Actually I just did a brief check starting back as far as post history shows going forward and came up with these in 5 minutes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=267245

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=277419

and this one where you tried to turn a smuggling thread into a tipping thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6253134#post6253134

I stopped at that point and if I needed any more to prove my point I would have continued working forward towards today. All of my previous on-topic posts in this thread stand as written.

just pay the tips, you cheap ass people.

If you can afford to cruise then tips are not much more.

Crazy to think its ok to not tip.

Go ahead flame or whatever but if you need to not tip then you need to be home finding a third job cause you must have two already and its not enough.

Stupidness.

Trying to save money i can understand, many things can be done, however taking money from hardworking crew i have no patience for this.

+1!

Actually I just did a brief check starting back as far as post history shows going forward and came up with these in 5 minutes:

and this one where you tried to turn a smuggling thread into a tipping thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6253134#post6253134

I stopped at that point and if I needed any more to prove my point I would have continued working forward towards today. All of my previous on-topic posts in this thread stand as written.

I clicked on your links and feel very much vindicated. The first one you list was posted in December of 2005 and I asked if tips should be done for children as they are for adults, totally legitimate question and many others have posed the same one.

The second question had to do with room service. I asked if one orders something from room service and THEY forget something, such as cream for the coffee and one has already tipped, would it be necessary to tip the person who brings what should have been brought to begin with. Again, not a "tipping" thread, per se, and again, a totally legitimate question because this actually happens quite often, they forget something that is ordered.

The third one you cite isn't a thread I started, I made a comment regarding how folks break Carnival's rule regarding smuggling and made a reference to tips.

I'm sure if you or anybody were to look back at my THREADS, the overwhelming response from any sane person would be that they are about topics other than tips, which is why I'm criticized so often. I'm accused of having random, off the wall threads, which I disagree with, but this is the first time I've been accused of being a troll and constantly starting tipping threads.

After my Liberty cruise the clipboard observation was something I meant to include, but forgot and also I forgot to mention my pleasure with the cd, Karl with a K, and I also started a thread about that too.

So give it a break.

I bet the steward thought he would too. I hope he hid his toothbrush.:D

Even though I do tip I still hide my toothbrush because you just never know if they need to get the rim of the toilet clean.

Really, does it matter what she likes to post about because I actually like her posts because they are usually very interesting.

If anyone would like to check back on my posts I do not like cheap tippers or wild children.

Wow...that is some fine detective work...where is Jimmy Hoffa?

I really can`t believe you went and did this...do you feel better?

Get a LIFE...:cool:

Really, does it matter what she likes to post about because I actually like her posts because they are usually very interesting.

If anyone would like to check back on my posts I do not like cheap tippers or wild children.

Interesting, but on the edge of being a contraversial subject, carefully worded!

She said she should have put more into the Liberty cruise comments. The subject of that cruise turned contraversial. It turned ugly by posters, but she knew there would be deep questions, the subject should never have come up, but it was.

So, yes, I think she likes to stir the pot, then play innocent.

Archived