Salmon run

Howasaur

We have found that on our trips prior to early or mid-July the salmon have not been running yet, but on our trips from mid-July through August the salmon have been plentiful. So based on our own personal experience I would say if salmon are important to you (they are for my DH) book a cruise from mid-July onward.

We went in late June and there were only a few ,next time in second week in Sept. it was Amazing . Even the small creeks were filled with thousands of fish. I bought a lic. for ten dollars and fished off the metal bridge in town and caught 35 Salmon. Threw them all back.

Dolittle, I would love to catch a salmon. We'll be there Sept 12-20th, part of that time on a cruise and 3 day land tour. You didn't mention the name of the town where you fished. Please let me know. Thanks, Tom

Overall, it's a pretty safe bet, you will see salmon in August on the inside passage.

I've sailed mid Sept, when the runs were over, except for late running Haines. Bad smells about it. :)

Dolittle, I would love to catch a salmon. We'll be there Sept 12-20th, part of that time on a cruise and 3 day land tour. You didn't mention the name of the town where you fished. Please let me know. Thanks, Tom

Sorry Tom it was Ketchikan , there was a guy in a shack who sold me the lic. and told me how to catch them this was in 2001 so it may have changed. I fished on a metal bridge right in the center of town ,you will see it there were some locals and some ships crew fishing with me . If you have any other Ques. please ask. P.S.they were pink salmon

Archived