Paris to Normandy in Oct. or Nov. (Viking or Uniworld)

newcruisermom

Hi,

My husband and I (both in our 50's) are planning our first river cruise and have decided on Paris to Normandy. For our budget and airfare, we are looking at October or November. Would that be too late in the season to enjoy this itinerary?

I have narrowed down our choices to Viking and Uniworld. I am most interested in the towns along the Seine, and my husband is more interested in Normandy and the World War II site there. (Of course, we both want to see Paris.)

We absolutely loved our previous Windstar and Azamara cruises, but we realize that a river cruise is the way to see these parts of France.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Hi,

My husband and I (both in our 50's) are planning our first river cruise and have decided on Paris to Normandy. For our budget and airfare, we are looking at October or November. Would that be too late in the season to enjoy this itinerary?

I have narrowed down our choices to Viking and Uniworld. I am most interested in the towns along the Seine, and my husband is more interested in Normandy and the World War II site there. (Of course, we both want to see Paris.)

We absolutely loved our previous Windstar and Azamara cruises, but we realize that a river cruise is the way to see these parts of France.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

November can be pretty chilly in Paris. That's all I'm going to say. Perhaps early October?

We did this cruise the last week in November on Viking. We chose Viking over Uniworld because the price was really cheap for this one date. We have sailed on Uniworld and it was great. It was chilly in Paris, but I didn't have to get out the long johns. The year before we were in Europe during the big snowstorm and survived. We live in Florida so we have a set of clothing that we take to Europe for this time of year--all weather coat, fleece vest, scarfs, gloves, hats, extra socks and in case its needed, silk underwear. We are going on the Main in Germany the week before Christmas this year. What can I say--I adore the Christmas markets. Some towns in Normandy, along with Paris, have Christmas markets. Worth the cold to me.

I would recommend October... for the weather (I think it could be very cold on the beaches in Normandy in November...) - but also because you would get the best of the harvest in October. Think Calvados brandy....:D

Although most of the summer flowers will be gone, there should still be lots of greenery, and Giverny is beautiful in the early Autumn.

We did the Seine with Uniworld at the end of September - and it was perfect. We loved the River Baroness - and this trip started our love affair with river cruising.

By the way, on the Baroness, even the lowest category cabins have quite a big window, so we were very happy with booking cheapest cabin.

Just my 2 cents worth here...

Fran

We did this trip in mid December of 2011 on Viking and it was COLD, but fun. Giverny was not part of the tour because the gardens are closed in the winter. Some of the cities had Christmas Markets open, too.

We have been near the Seine in that part of France in December and it was extremely misty. We get a lot of mist in the autumn in Britain so it makes me think late November in northern France may be a problem if you want to see things from the boat.

Thank you, Everybody!

I appreciate your helpful information. Based on your insights on the temperature and the foliage, we are going to spend a few extra $$'s and try to book in late September or early October. (although now you've gotten me intrigued about Christmas markets...)

We'll post a review when we come back! :)

Archived