Grand turk "the wall"

elou

We met a couple from Ca. on the Eurodam recently who snorkled at the "Wall". The said it was awesome/great/wonderful etc. and were thrilled they had done that. I think they said it was a HAL excursion - but not positive.

Has anyone done the wall? Is it mountain-like (which in Grand Cayman it is) or just a lot of coral formation with pretty fish? No answer on Port board.

What are you expecting from a wall? It is a reef that just drops down into the depths where you can't dive and less light means you see less.

This is the best pix I got from the Wall - I'm looking straight down here.

A group from my roll call planned a charter through Grand Turk Diving. It was a 4 hour trip. Included a stop at a shallower place, the wall, and time at Gibbs Cay (to see the sting rays). We really enjoyed ourselves.

thewall.jpg.e3d6ecb140b9f1db2a21fecf125c3266.jpg

Yes it is a wall similar to GC.

Typically with a 2-tank dive you will do the 1st dive deeper along the wall (max depth 100-110ft) the a shallower 40-50 reef dive.

As Peter pointed out at the deeper depths you really start to lose color but it is cool to see some of the cuts in the wall forming canyons and the blue into black abyss water.

Here is a link to a video I shot there about 5 years ago. At the beginning with the turtle it was real deep (and you can see he just calmly started taking me deeper knowing that he would shake me off SOON). You will also notice towards the end the color comes in a lot better (this was at much shallower)

http://vimeo.com/8449208

That's a great video. Thank you for sharing.

I love diving the wall in Grand Turk and have done it twice, once with Blue Water and the second time with Oasis. If I'm in GT again, I will dive the wall again.

Great video. We have dived the wall off Providenciales in T&C several times and keep going back. I shot video for the first time last December - there is so much beauty to capture. If we're ever on a ship that stops in Grand Turk, we will definitely dive. Great advantage that the wall is so much closer to shore there than in Providenciales, where it's a 45 minute boat ride to the dive site.

The wall is so close to the beach that you can see it from a high deck on a ship. There is a sudden change in colour from beautiful aquamarine to dark blue. I have seen some strong swimmers snorkeling directly from the beach to the wall near the dock. I don't think I could ever get bored snorkelling or diving on the wall in Grand Turk.

Archived