Why do we have to pay more for a handicapped room

JoyB

You are incorrect, Rick. They cannot charge more because they chose not to make C2 an accessible room but rather made it a C1. The GS/OS issue is different. They do not claim they have any "full" suites that are accessible (other than loft suites).

Trying to understand. I can understand that if there were no C2s that were accessible that would be discriminatory to "force" someone to pay for a C1. What if they did have C2 accessible rooms but they are all booked by the time the OP wants to book one. Are they obligated to give the C2 rate for a C1?

I looked at the Oasis deck plans. It looks like there are 4 accessible C1 cabins. There are no C2 Acc. cabins. I would guess that they are designated C1, rather than C2, because they are in a prime midship location.

If you go to the Oasis deckplans, and look at deck 14, you can see what I mean. Also, if you look at the top of the page, to the right of the ship deck plan pic, you can click on "view accessible stateroom". This will show you a popup of all accessible cabins and categories on the ship. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_OA

They are not penalizing OP for choosing an accessible stateroom. There are also no D8 accessible staterooms. So if OP's friends got D8s, and she had to get an accessible D7, she would probably have to pay a bit more.

I booked 8 rooms the very first room I asked for was for a A room at the sale price. I was told that They dont have the A rooms for that price but did have them for $20 more per person. it was not so much that it was more money but that it did not seem fair that he should have to pay more for a room that only a hadicapped person can use we did not care what floor we was on as long as we got the balcony since it was cheaper then an inside and outside room at the time. the other rooms that I book did get the cheaper price and they were different on floors. we did not care we just wanted a balcony room for that price. The A room that we got was on the 14 floor and was c1.

I dont know call me crazy but it just seemed very odd that RCCL would not understand this.

Thanks for all your comments, I guess there are lots of ways of looking at it.

Joy

this is what I asked for:

Central Park View Stateroom with Balcony C2

Deck 14 , Deck 11 , Deck 10

Square footage: 182 sq ft

Balcony square footage: 52 sq ft

Occupancy: Up to 3 guests (some sleep 4)

Amenities: Private inward facing balcony with views of interior Central Park area. Sitting area (some with sofa beds), two twin beds that convert to a queen-size bed, private bathroom with shower, vanity area, hair dryer, LCD TV, radio, and telephone. Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

ON SALE!

$849

$1,698

Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

ON SALE!

$849

$1,698

spacer-transparent.gif

ON SALE!

$849

$1,698

This is what they gave me:

Central Park View Stateroom with Balcony C1

Deck 14 , Deck 12 , Deck 11 , Deck 10

Amenities: Private inward facing balcony with views of interior Central Park area. Sitting area (some with sofa beds), two twin beds that convert to a queen-size bed, private bathroom with shower, vanity area, hair dryer, LCD TV, radio, and telephone.

ON SALE!

$869

Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

ON SALE!

$869

$1,738

Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

Did you ask for a C2 accessible? That cabin doesn't exist on the Oasis deck plans. The CP balcony accessibles are C1.

This is correct.

JoyB: there are no C2 accessible rooms. See the popup link I posted for all available accessible rooms on Oasis http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_OA

You will see that there are no C2 accessible rooms available at all. Your accessible room is designated as a C1 accessible, but even if it were not accessible, it would probably still be a C1 due to it's prime location. You are not being charged more because you are purchasing a handicapped room; you are being charged the same amount as all other C1 passengers who booked at that price during that particular time.

If the price of the C1 category goes down, you can ask for a price adjustment. You will not be penalized because you are are in a C1 accessible.

this is what I asked for:

Central Park View Stateroom with Balcony C2

Deck 14 , Deck 11 , Deck 10

Amenities: Private inward facing balcony with views of interior Central Park area. Sitting area (some with sofa beds), two twin beds that convert to a queen-size bed, private bathroom with shower, vanity area, hair dryer, LCD TV, radio, and telephone. Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

ON SALE!

$849

$1,698

Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

ON SALE!

$849

$1,698

spacer-transparent.gif

ON SALE!

$849

$1,698

This is what they gave me:

Central Park View Stateroom with Balcony C1

Deck 14 , Deck 12 , Deck 11 , Deck 10

Amenities: Private inward facing balcony with views of interior Central Park area. Sitting area (some with sofa beds), two twin beds that convert to a queen-size bed, private bathroom with shower, vanity area, hair dryer, LCD TV, radio, and telephone.

ON SALE!

$869

Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

ON SALE!

$869

$1,738

Promotions

Rate type

* Per Passenger

* Cabin Price

still don't know why you don't get it. You are charged for the C2 cabin because there are no handicapped C1's and the C2's cost $20 more regardless if they are handicapped or not

Also not the case when you say only a handicapped person can use it. If they aren't sold about 60 days out, they are released and anyone can book them.

Did you ask for a C2 accessible? That cabin doesn't exist on the Oasis deck plans. The CP balcony accessibles are C1.

I ask for the sale price and for the room to be a handicapped room.. Why have a Handicapped room at a higher rate when only a handicapped person can use it.. which would mean you are making them pay a higher price for a room only they can use... we were not asking for a upgrade and as a diamond C&A member he would of gotten anyway. which he did not care about he just wanted a balcony room he could get his wheelchair in.

still don't know why you don't get it. You are charged for the C2 cabin because there are no handicapped C1's and the C2's cost $20 more regardless if they are handicapped or not

Also not the case when you say only a handicapped person can use it. If they aren't sold about 60 days out, they are released and anyone can book them.

You've got it reversed; C1 is more.

I stayed in a handicap room in December on the LIberty..It was huge. I could not believe how much bigger than a regular balcony room. Maybe that is why it is a little bit more expensive. I did balcony guaranteed, so I was quite surprised when I stepped into the handicap room. So I know I paid the same as all guaranteed balcony rooms (handicap or not).

Yes I do get it... my question was why make handicapped room C1 when they are mostly for the handicapped and there are no C1 that are handicapped. I can understand charging more if they dont sell but this is not the case. so the way I see it they are charging for this room...

Sorry this question upset you.... I was told this is the place to ask questions...

I ask for the sale price and for the room to be a handicapped room.. Why have a Handicapped room at a higher rate when only a handicapped person can use it.. which would mean you are making them pay a higher price for a room only they can use... we were not asking for a upgrade and as a diamond C&A member he would of gotten anyway. which he did not care about he just wanted a balcony room he could get his wheelchair in.

You are asking for something that doesn't exist. They are only handicapped rooms available in the C1 category, and it looks like the sale price is for C2. There are no handicapped rooms in the C2 category. You don't seem to be understanding this.

I booked 8 rooms the very first room I asked for was for a A room at the sale price. I was told that They dont have the A rooms for that price but did have them for $20 more per person. it was not so much that it was more money but that it did not seem fair that he should have to pay more for a room that only a hadicapped person can use we did not care what floor we was on as long as we got the balcony since it was cheaper then an inside and outside room at the time. the other rooms that I book did get the cheaper price and they were different on floors. we did not care we just wanted a balcony room for that price. The A room that we got was on the 14 floor and was c1.

I dont know call me crazy but it just seemed very odd that RCCL would not understand this.

Thanks for all your comments, I guess there are lots of ways of looking at it.

Joy

The room could be used by a non-handicapped person.

Ok, what is the solution? Make all cabins handicapped ? I wonder what the price of the cruises would be then. Oh, I am handicapped. BUT I know that there are some things I cannot do or have. I am going on the Oasis next month. Should I complain that I zip line is not handicapped accessible, or that I am paying for some things I cannot use? Life is not fair. If it was, ALL of us would be able to dance. I guess I will take that up with god.

Yes I do get it... my question was why make handicapped room C1 when they are mostly for the handicapped and there are no C1 that are handicapped. I can understand charging more if they dont sell but this is not the case. so the way I see it they are charging for this room...

Sorry this question upset you.... I was told this is the place to ask questions...

Do you mean why are there no C2s that are handicapped?

The C1 accessible rooms that they built are in prime midship locations. To put the accessible rooms here, they sacrificed putting other, non-accessible C1 cabins here.

They probably could have made 4 C2s accessible instead of 4 C1s, but someone decided it might be nice for those accessible rooms to be nearer to the elevators than farther, hence C1 vs C2.

There are other, lower categories that have accessible cabins. You are not being forced into a C1.

no you don't get it.

It's no different than having to jump up to a more expensive category to accommodate a triple or quad booking.

I stayed in a handicap room in December on the LIberty..It was huge. I could not believe how much bigger than a regular balcony room. Maybe that is why it is a little bit more expensive. I did balcony guaranteed, so I was quite surprised when I stepped into the handicap room. So I know I paid the same as all guaranteed balcony rooms (handicap or not).

No, that is not why. They C1 accessibles are more expensive than the C2 non-accessibles because they are different categories. There are no C2 accessible cabins available at all.

You can't buy something that does not exist. If I buy a non accessible cabin of XYZ category...and you buy an accessible XYZ then we pay the same price...

but if they don't HAVE that...and the next closest thing is an XYZ1 cabin that happens to be the "same" just in a "better" location..they you pay more....just like I would if i wanted the non accessible XYZ1 cabin.....

the cruise line is not penalizing a person for needing an accessible cabin-that's essentially a violation of DOT/ADA rules (DEPENDING on other things...jsut generalizing). The are charging the SAME price for the SAME CATEGORY of cabin....for HC/non HC.....the difference in price is that it's a better LOCATION...

heck..i get it and i am confused......:confused: it's hard to explain to make sense...

I bring a group of 10 on a cruise each year. One member of our party is in a wheelchair. We have never been charged extra for the handicap room. It is usually the size of a JR suite.

I feel RCCL does a great job with disabled guest.

Rob

Archived