First Royal Caribbean Cruise...Which ship?

My family is considering booking our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. We have cruised Disney Magic, Caribbean Princess and Carnival Glory...We enjoyed each one. My boys are 15 and almost 19 and each may also bring a friend along..My question is this...which ship for our first experience. Do we jump right in with Oasis and Allure or go with a Freedom class ship? Or other recommendations? Based on how busy and active the boys are..I prob.would consider no less than voyager class...they love basketball and are very athletic and could play all day...and enjoy many other active based activities..hubby and I just need sun, a good lounge chair and drink in hand....

My family is considering booking our first cruise on Royal Caribbean. We have cruised Disney Magic, Caribbean Princess and Carnival Glory...We enjoyed each one. My boys are 15 and almost 19 and each may also bring a friend along..My question is this...which ship for our first experience. Do we jump right in with Oasis and Allure or go with a Freedom class ship? Or other recommendations? Based on how busy and active the boys are..I prob.would consider no less than voyager class...they love basketball and are very athletic and could play all day...and enjoy many other active based activities..hubby and I just need sun, a good lounge chair and drink in hand....

Our first cruise was on Navigator out of FLL , it was fabulous and I was thrilled with all the amenities for kids , our two girls were 9 & 10 at the time, they loved every second and cannot wait to go again. I am going on a ladies only cruise in May, on Liberty of the seas, will let you know how I get on:D

We have cruised both the lines that you have mentioned, we are also repeat with RCCL, both Voyager class, with the ages of your kids and with them brining friends it probably is not a bad idea to jump into Oasis or Allure as they have the most to do: that being said i have not cruise anything other than voyager and love thay class of ship. Do some research on all , there are a few great blogs out on the web and of course cruise critic has a wealth ok knowledge...have fun sit back and enjoy planning....:cool:

Our boys 14 & 17 love the Freedom class ships but with that being said it always seems to come down to price. Oasis for us was cheaper than Freedom this year and with Freedom you have to fly into Orlando unlike Oasis where you can fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Also, not sure when you are planning on traveling but Independence is returning to the US and you can always consider them. Good Luck!!

I think you are on the right track thinking Voyager class or up for active teens. I would book what your budget can handle. I don't think you need to start at Oasis class. My son was on the Mariner at 16 and 17 and enjoyed every minute of it. I would look at the itineraries but also check which port is best for you to sail from since airfares are so high these days. Narrow it down and put it to a vote!:p

Good luck.

I feel that for teenage boys a Freedom Class ship at minimum (Freedom, Liberty and Independence) or Oasis or Allure would be the most fun-filled and activity-packed ships for them. Why? Because these ships have the awesome Flow Rider and amazing rock-climbing walls, putt putt golf, full court basketball courts, an arcade, Johnny Rockets (for fun snacks) and so many other attractions such as 3-D movies, discos, Sorrento's Pizza, and have itineraries that feature ports with lots of water sports.

If you can take a ship that goes to Labadee, there is so much there for boys to do, such as the Zip Line that goes over the ocean and the super fun Dragon's Tail Coaster that both my adult sons and my husband love. There is a jet ski tour, they might enjoy too. These jet ski tours go really fast though.

Oasis and Allure have premium pricing, but offer so many entertainment choices and dining choices, it is worth it, but I admit that the pricing is high. A very good second choice is any of the Freedom Class ships which give you a kind of "taste" of Oasis and Allure without the luxury pricing.

Freedom leaves from Port Canaveral. Liberty leaves from Fort Lauderdale. Oasis leaves Fort Lauderdale on Saturday and Allure leaves from there on Sunday. These ports and sailing dates might have some impact on your final decision.

If you can afford Oasis/Allure, then go for it. But, if not, your kids will still love any Voyager or Freedom class ship. If you're flying, check the prices of airfare (and hotel - if possible, you'll want to go down one day early as insurance against flight delays). Some ships leave on Saturday and others leave on Sunday...one may be more convenient for you, or one may have higher airfare than the other.

After several Disney cruises we opted for the Freedom when my son was a little older and he absolutely loved it (and so did we!) There was so much to keep him occupied all day, rock climbing wall, arcade, mini golf, ice skating and he even enjoyed the evening theatre shows. He still enjoys the Disney ships as we went on the Dream last year but we're going back on Freedom in August.

Since you have the older teenage boys, you need to go big or stay home. You and the kids will love the Oasis/Allure. What are you plans for the rooms? The only thing I don't like about the Oasis/Allure is the size of the rooms. The standard room sizes are smaller than the Freedom class ships. Having 4 boys in one cabin will be cramped.

With teens, minimum Voyager class.

If they want waverider, Freedom class.

We have a half dozen cruises on Navigator and love it.

Recently did 4 cruises on Liberty of the Seas...wow and wower.

You can do 4 and 5 dayers from Ft Lauderdale if that fits

your schedule and budget. Labadee's zipline will thrill 'em!

IMHO, no need to spend the huge dollars on the monstrosity ships

Besides, they only have 7 day schedules.

Have fun.

:cool:

Since I have no interest in Allure or Oasis (too big with too many people), I'd go with a Freedom class ship. You'll have lots of amenities that are on the Oasis class ships at a much more affordable price.

I would go freedom class as a minimum if possible but certainly not less than Voyager class at any cost!

But of you can, do Oasis or Allure for sure! You won't be sorry. It is big ship but no more difficult to learn to navigate than any other new ship. As for the number of people, it (to me) does not feel one bit more crowded than any other ship.

I travel with teenagers and little ones and I think you will love RC. Welcome!

You've done a good job narrowing it down to two good choices, now use other criteria. Which has ports you want, sails from a port you can get to easy/cheaper. You can't go wrong, pick one, have a great time, do the other next time.

Since it looks like you cruise mostly during the spring break and the summer, you will probably get much better prices on the Freedom class ship. Of course, if there is no price difference, I would choose the Allure or Oasis for teens. The one big advantage that the Freedom class (Western Itinerary) has over the Allure or Oasis is an extra port which we love. :)

We have done the Freedom of the Seas twice and we LOVED her both times. We are giving Carnival Liberty a try this year because she is 1/2 the price of Allure/Oasis. We are hoping to do the Allure/Oasis next year for our oldest daughter's graduation. :D

I think you should do a freedom class or oasis class ship. They are definitely fun for teens with all the attractions on board! I went on the Allure and had so much fun on it, in fact it was my favourite cruise! You could jump into the oasis class but then later if you decide to go on another royal caribbean ship, you might have that high expectation you did on the oasis or allure, and you might be disappointed on how the ship doesn't have all the things you had on the oasis class. If you do the freedom class ships it would still be fun, but then the oasis class is pretty much the freedom class ships, but better. Totally up to you though!

Samantha :)

Norwegian Jewel (November 2009), Norwegian Epic (March 2011), Royal Caribbean Allure of the seas (September 2011), Celebrity Equinox (March 2012)

Either! The Freedom Class is great for families with kids of all ages! The Oasis Class is too, with added steroids for your cruising enjoyment.

As others have said, you won't go wrong with either so consider your budget, the origination port, ports of call, and day of debarkation.

I just got back from my second time on Allure, and it is now my favorite cruise of all time. Part of the reason is my family was there - a bunch of them! (21, to be exact) Dh and I have cruised alone and I've cruised with just my kids, but we've never sailed together as a family. It was perfect (well, there were ups and downs, of course, but it was the best vacation). Our cruise on Freedom was pretty close, but my DH wasn't there. And Allure last year, well, I missed my kids. But seriously, I think you'll have a great time on either class you choose, especially if you're together.

Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to check out my reviews of both classes. You can find the links in my signature. (The latest Allure is about our family experience; whereas, the March 2011 Allure cruise has a lot about the ship.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am asking myself this very same question, sans the children. There have been some very good responses to the OP's question; so thank you all of you.

I stumbled across these pictures that I thought I would share which are helping me make up my mind.

http://malcolmoliver.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/4998992392_2ccb99838a_o.jpg?w=450

http://malcolmoliver.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/4998387949_4a861ffd4d1.jpg?w=450&h=299

They are pictures of the Oasis and Freedom while docked side by side. A rather unique perspective which, until now, I had not seen before. Both seem like very "bustling" ships of which neither will disappoint.

I would start with the Voyage Class and work up, if it is just you and your husband I would also consider the Radiance Class, this way you can compare. We did our first Freedom Class this past Oct and enjoyed our cruise, but we prefer the Radiance Class, because of the view from inside it offers. With so many Class ships we each find our favorite for what they offer. Personally, I would stay between the Radiance Class to Freedom Class. Haven't tried Oasis, maybe one of these days.

Archived