Early Saver vs. Past Guest Rates

Trin1103

Hi all!

Well - now that we qualify for "Past Guest" pricing on Carnival.com (we just completed our first cruise in January this year) - I wanted to post this question.

I am wondering what the differences/advantages/disadvantages are between pricing rates when booking our next cruise - because we now have the option of Past Guest rates as well as Early Saver rates. Now admittedly - you may not save any more than $20 booking under your Past Guest #, but I would like to know which rate is the most preferred with folks on here. What's the difference apart from monetary value? Different cancellation/rescheduling regulations? What??

Thanks!

..Trin..

If your plans are firm, early saver is the way to go. If the past guest rate (for the same category) is then lower, you can apply for a price match and get onboard credit.

However- the downside to early saver is that the deposit is not refundable (I think), and no changes to the reservation are allowed (this I know). So if, for example- you needed to reschedule, you couldn't just move your reservation to the next week (which may incur a fee for regular bookings, but with ES, it would be all money lost). Or if you cabin mate can't go, you can't just change the name and bring someone else.

Early saver is also only available if you book in a certain time frame. We booked our next cruise only a few months out, so we had to use the past guest rate instead- the rate dropped and since it is after final payment, we're SOL. The early savers on our roll call all got OBC.

If you have access to military rates I wouldn't book an ES. It ended up costing me a good bit of money.

Actually, the way to lose money is by booking military .. book ES and then price match to military rates. Someone booked military and then found out he couldnt get price drops and had a suite booked, so no upgrades. Missed a $1400 lower price.

book ES and then price match to past gues, military, whatever your qualify for ..

We always book ES and on this cruise we just got home from we had a 521.92 OBC!!! The last form I filled out, had just 2 hours left before ES became invalid. We were very happy to see that e-mail.

A correction on the deposit: it is non-refundable, but you don't lose it all, only 50$ and the rest is held by Carnival to be used in 2 years from the date you cancel.

We had some one in our party cancel, so I know this to be true. What I did NOT know, or maybe had forgot, was that you could not downgrade. So, since our friend canceled, we were struck paying for the suite....more than I would have wanted to. All upgrades are OK too. I have heard that under certain conditions, they will change your reservation...i.e. death.....lol.

If your plans are firm, early saver is the way to go. If the past guest rate (for the same category) is then lower, you can apply for a price match and get onboard credit.

However- the downside to early saver is that the deposit is not refundable (I think), and no changes to the reservation are allowed (this I know). So if, for example- you needed to reschedule, you couldn't just move your reservation to the next week (which may incur a fee for regular bookings, but with ES, it would be all money lost). Or if you cabin mate can't go, you can't just change the name and bring someone else.

Early saver is also only available if you book in a certain time frame. We booked our next cruise only a few months out, so we had to use the past guest rate instead- the rate dropped and since it is after final payment, we're SOL. The early savers on our roll call all got OBC.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you posted, but if you want to change reservations, IE, another week, you WILL NOT lose all your money. The cost to you for changes is a loss of $50 per person. So, if you book for 10/20 and then change to 10/27, you will lose $50 per person.

If you cancel, IE can't go 10/20 but decide to rebook for 10/27, at the same time, you lose $50 p/p so would need to come up with $50 p/p to do the booking. If you don't know when you are going, and cancel, the $50 p/p will be held for 2 years, I think, not sure, and if you rebook, the balance of your deposit, say $250-50= $200 p/p will be applied to your final payment, not the deposit.

I know it's confusing using ESA, but if that fare is available, and you know you will meet the conditions, it's a great way to save money. To make a long story short, we booked ESA for our cruise last week, AFTER FINAL PAYMENT we got price reductions. We then used the military rate and ended up with almost $400 in OBC. That won't happen if you book the military rate unless prices go down BEFORE final payment.

If ESA is not available when you book, pick the best rate!!!!

If you don't know when you are going, and cancel, the $50 p/p will be held for 2 years, I think, not sure, and if you rebook, the balance of your deposit, say $250-50= $200 p/p will be applied to your final payment, not the deposit.!

Close but no cigar. If you cancel you lose $50 and the remainder of the deposit is held and can be applied to a later booking.

No matter what, changes will cost you $50 per person.

Actually, the way to lose money is by booking military .. book ES and then price match to military rates. Someone booked military and then found out he couldnt get price drops and had a suite booked, so no upgrades. Missed a $1400 lower price.

book ES and then price match to past gues, military, whatever your qualify for ..

Didn't work that way for me.

In November, when Carnival ran a big military special that could be used to book 3 rooms I wasn't able to do that. I could only book one room because I'd booked the 3 rooms with an ES rate.

To this day, the other 2 rooms haven't dropped below what I got the one military rate room for and we sail in a month.

So, booking the ES cost me money. Had I booked a past guest, I would have cancelled the other 2 rooms and rebooked.

Close but no cigar. If you cancel you lose $50 and the remainder of the deposit is held and can be applied to a later booking.

No matter what, changes will cost you $50 per person.

You are right. Sorry, I should have re-read what I posted as I do know the rules, but sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own. I was trying to say if you cancel and don't rebook, you will lose the $50 and the balance of the deposit will be held and used towards final payment, not the deposit.

I haven't ever had to cancel, but this is what I interpret the rules to be. Thanks for the correction!

Archived