Traveling companion not going

lawyerrose

This happened to someone we know whose boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) decided not to go one day before their cruise. She was already in Florida, waiting for him when she got the message. She called her TA who told her to just show up as the cruise line may want to re-fare at a higher rate.

When she did check in, they asked where her traveling companion was and she told them he was coming on his own. At that point, she still had hopes he changed his mind because she couldn't reach him by phone. She had no idea if he was charged for the Hotel Service charge, and even the cabin stewards asked if he would be coming onboard.

The answer is not cut and dried -- it really depends on what kind of fare you booked under and what insurance you have.

A couple of years ago I booked a cruise on the Westerdam that had no "single supplement" so I would have been paying for 2 anyway. I booked a friend with me. At the end, the felt they could not go, and I checked with my PCC. To cancel the second passenger would have ended up costing about $150 more.

I ended up showing up by myself and telling them that the other passenger was traveling separately. Just before sailing, the desk call my cabin to see if the other passenger was expected to join at another port.

I ended up getting a credit for the second passenger's port charges.

You need to check with your PCC or TA to see what your options are.

Rich

So what happens now? The cruise is next Monday, it's all paid for, but she can't make it. Do I just enjoy the cabin to myself? Will there be a problem? Will I have to pay more money?? Does anyone know??

I will replace her.....;)

You should have your cabin all to your lonesome. If your companion had insurance she will get her share of the fare back, if not she loses but you gain.

Enjoy your cruise .

Great to see you on CC, Trisha!

Rose, enjoy your cruise...and your cabin all to yourself!

I think you're better off just keeping it to yourself, boarding and letting your companion's arrival or non-arrival be up to her/him. I read on the Carnival board recently that when a cabin no-show occurred Carnival charged the one who showed up more,for being a single, but no details of what type of fare she had or when she told someone, except that it was after final payment.

I don't think it's being underhanded, they already go their money. As for Hotel Service Charge, they get that from everyone who shows up, including children and 3rds and 4ths in a cabin, so that balances out if there are singles too. JMHO. m--

I read a couple of years ago here where one ccabin mate cancelled right before the cruise and the other one was charged a higher fare when they got on the ship.

So -- there is no telling what can happen.

Wish you luck that you will have the cabin by yourself and not be suddenly charged a higher fare.

Just Go, check in and board.

It is not your responsibility to account for someone else. You have your boarding pass and you paid for your cruise.

She well could change her mind; her circumstance could change between now and then, she could be planning a 'surprise' for you..... you do not need to account for her comings or goings.

I read a couple of years ago here where one ccabin mate cancelled right before the cruise and the other one was charged a higher fare when they got on the ship.

So -- there is no telling what can happen.

Wish you luck that you will have the cabin by yourself and not be suddenly charged a higher fare.

Several people, other than just me, have reported that they were re-fared as a single when the second occupant canceled.

In my case, I talked to my PCC several times about possible outcomes and the best one was to just show up and "play dumb" about the second passenger. Cancelling the second passenger would have resulted in more money out of my pocket.

Rich

If the person cancelling had HAL's Platinum CPP (i.e. not 3rd party insurance) giving them a refund, I could see HAL possibly tacking on a single supplement charge. Otherwise, this could be a way for solo travelers to get a single cabin at less than the normal supplement charge. Book two, cancel one, and get a refund of most of the cancelled phantom passenger's fare. No?

Rowsby - in that case was any refund paid by HAL insurance?

Just Go, check in and board.

It is not your responsibility to account for someone else. You have your boarding pass and you paid for your cruise.

She well could change her mind; her circumstance could change between now and then, she could be planning a 'surprise' for you..... you do not need to account for her comings or goings.

Thanks. You're right. I don't know what's going on with her and that could happen. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about having the whole cabin to myself and thinking that might be nice!:)

Rowsby - in that case was any refund paid by HAL insurance?

I think the other person had insurance....

My SIL asked if she needed to pay extra when she boarded and they said no.......she had a great cruise....

I think the other person had insurance....

My SIL asked if she needed to pay extra when she boarded and they said no.......she had a great cruise....

So then you don't know if it was HAL insurance. What I'm driving at is, if a 3rd party insurance paid off, or there was no insurance at all, then HAL still got their money and they don't care. If HAL CPP paid a refund, then they're out half the fare of the cabin if they don't tack on a single supplement.

HAL doesn't self-insure on policies cruisers write.

Doesn't Berkley provide the CPP Standard and CPP Platinum coverage? HAL wouldn't lose if Berkley had to pay out.

Is that what you are getting at, John?

So then you don't know if it was HAL insurance. What I'm driving at is, if a 3rd party insurance paid off, or there was no insurance at all, then HAL still got their money and they don't care. If HAL CPP paid a refund, then they're out half the fare of the cabin if they don't tack on a single supplement.

Sorry....I don't know......

Archived