Traveling companion not going

lawyerrose

HAL doesn't self-insure on policies cruisers write.

Doesn't Berkley provide the CPP Standard and CPP Platinum coverage? HAL wouldn't lose if Berkley had to pay out.

Is that what you are getting at, John?

No - I thought HAL self-insured their CPPs, and they would lose on cancellations where they gave a refund and couldn't re-sell the cabin.

HAL doesn't self-insure on policies cruisers write.

Doesn't Berkley provide the CPP Standard and CPP Platinum coverage? HAL wouldn't lose if Berkley had to pay out.

Is that what you are getting at, John?

No - I thought HAL self-insured their CPPs, and they would lose on cancellations where they gave a refund and couldn't re-sell the cabin.

I would have to look, but I believe HAL states that prior to sailing, Standard and Premium coverage are NOT insurance, just a cancellation protection plan. The premium package becomes insurance, underwritten by Berkley, basically upon boarding the ship.

There was discussion a couple of months ago that there was a short period, from midnight before boarding, until boarding that was totally uncovered but HAL changed the wording on their Protection Plan to cover that period.

I checked real quick -- from the website

The CPP Standard Plan is not insurance, and is administered by Holland America Line Inc.; it provides no rights other than those explained above.

Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with enhanced cancellation protection. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services. CPP Platinum may not be available for purchase in some locations outside the U.S. and Canada

Rich

From one of the last cruise brochures (on the insurance coverages pages):

Except for Trip Cancellation which is reimbursable by Holland America Line, the insurance coverage provided under the CPP Platinum Plus is underwritten by Virginia Surety Company, Inc., under policy number HTP04195. This plan was designed and is administered by BerkelyCare IN CALIFORNIA: BerkelyCare is a service mark of Aon Direct Insurance Administreators, CA Insurance License #0795465. IN ALL OTHER STATES;BerkelyCare is a division of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc. in all states other than CA, except: AIS Affinity Insurance Agency, Inc. in MN and OK and AIS Affinity Insurance Agency in NY.

Whatever any of that mounts up to.....? :D

From one of the last cruise brochures (on the insurance coverages pages):

Whatever any of that mounts up to.....? :D

I have always taken it to mean that the cancellation part was borne by HAL and the medical portion of the Premium Plan was underwritten by an insurance company.

By that token, if the second person were to cancel then HAL would be out both fares. If the second person stays on, then as far as HAL is concerned would not half a loaf be better than none?

If the second person stays on, then as far as HAL is concerned would not half a loaf be better than none?
Maybe not. If the 2nd person canceled maybe they could re-sell the cabin, or upgrade someone to it and re-sell a lower cabin at double occupancy.

Maybe not. If the 2nd person canceled maybe they could re-sell the cabin, or upgrade someone to it and re-sell a lower cabin at double occupancy.

You're right if the cancellation was in enough time to do so, but in a last minute cancellation it would be in HAL's best interest to let the single occupant go with no penalty.

You're right if the cancellation was in enough time to do so, but in a last minute cancellation it would be in HAL's best interest to let the single occupant go with no penalty.

Two factors to consider here --

1. If the cruise is wait listed, that time frame may be as little as 48 hrs.

2. If HAL, or any other cruise line for that matter, allowed this there would be no reason for anyone to book a single cabin. Just put a friend as the companion, then at the gate get a 50% refund because the friend "changed their mind" and canceled.

Whenever one person in a cabin cancels, the other is re-fared at the single rate. That is currently the policy, and from what I have read includes third party insurance payments for the second passenger. Some third party insurance covers the insured for the increase in fare if one of two passengers cancels.

Rich

Two factors to consider here --

1. If the cruise is wait listed, that time frame may be as little as 48 hrs.

2. If HAL, or any other cruise line for that matter, allowed this there would be no reason for anyone to book a single cabin. Just put a friend as the companion, then at the gate get a 50% refund because the friend "changed their mind" and canceled.

Whenever one person in a cabin cancels, the other is re-fared at the single rate. That is currently the policy, and from what I have read includes third party insurance payments for the second passenger. Some third party insurance covers the insured for the increase in fare if one of two passengers cancels.

Rich

I neglected to include the "beat the system" people in my reasoning. What you say makes sense.

Isn't "cruise cancellation" such an unhappy term?

It happened to me on another line (Princess) because of a medical issue with my father.

Princess allowed us to change cabinmates from my father to DW for a $25. admin fee. We thought this was very fair. They told me at the time that if I had went solo there would be no issue since the cabin was paid for in full. I would suspect HAL is the same.

Hi

this happed to me last year. My Brother paid for tickets. I had insurance for both of us. She got got just before less than 10 days before the the cruise. Since I got all the money back because she was ill. I can do it again this year. I loved having the room to myself.. I was on Hal

Mary

I did not have to pay anything extra even though the TA said I would. I sailed for 1/2 the rate just had a the 2nd person in the room with me. I got all my money back as she did for her air fare. She really was sick and had surgery before I came home. I had a room where the two beds put together. It was great. You will love it. I loved it so much I going back and solo and paying the rate for two

Mary

Archived