Carnival Sunshine???

big_duck

It looks like many of the improvements will be good, mainly the Serenity area, though the steam/sauna areas appear to be losing their wonderful, huge picture windows to the sea.

I'll miss those and also the name, but the overall changes look like smart decisions by Carnival.

I'm wondering how many of their longtime crew members will stay for the transition? My friends and I were on the ship in 2010 and found the staff to be uniformly excellent, especially their lead entertainer Rudy Lowe. We encountered him early during our voyage, and didn't realize he was a performer until later in the evening, when he was the star of the show.

He is a great singer/entertainer in the full-cast revues they have and also in his own "Rudy Lowe Show," which featured singing, stories and fun engagement with the audience. We ran into him several more times during the cruise and he couldn't have been more pleasant, cheerful and helpful. I understand he's been with Carnival for many years, and you could see how much he still enjoys his job as he acted as a de facto "mayor" of the ship, greeting every crew member he saw warmly and chatting and taking pictures with numerous passengers along the way.

He even reacted with humor and professionalism when one of my companions, full of a bit too much "cheer," um, passed gas rather loudly in his presence. The man deserves a promotion for that alone!

Anyway, I hope Rudy and some of the other great waiters and crew members we remember will still be on the ship, no matter what the name!

The Carnival Destiny was the first passenger ship to be built to a size of 100,000 tons. She was the first ship to be built larger than the Queen Elizabeth of 1938, which had reigned as the world's largest passenger ship for 58 years.

While many credit the SS Norway for starting the 'mega-ship' craze, and indeed, she was the first cruise ship to provide a large vessel experience, it was the Carnival Destiny that defined what a mega-ship is today. Only 10 years prior, the Holiday was launched, herself a 'super liner' of her time.

To many, a cruise ship is just a big 'boat' to go and have fun in- for the most part, that is true. But some vessels, like the Carnival DestinyNorway and Voyager of the Seas signify so much more. The signify a great evolution, and to have the ship that started the trend that has led to the boom that we have seen in the cruise industry changed so heavily, is to me at least, a shame.

Best post of this otherwise dumb thread. thanks!

I personally like the name. It's a great way to pay homage to the ports they frequent.

It's actually a great marketing strategy, so I applaud them.

& I understand the Destiny's historic relevance, but with all these amazing ships constantly being pumped out, how many people would really keep cruising on this old, outdated ship? Even the people that are true to her will start venturing out to see what these newer ships have to offer. People complain about the ship, and now that they're doing something about it, they're more complaints.

Well, you can literately be "Walking on Sunshine"! :D

Haha, but seriously, I dont get the point of renaming it. But whatever. Whatever floats JH's boat. LOL, see what I did there?!

Hmm.. is this what my family means when the say I have "corny/stupid jokes'??

Oh Carnival!!

First it was the Carnival Splendor then it was the Costa Concordia followed by the allegra, now the carnival destiny??? Everyone knows that renaming a boat ship brings nothing but bad luck and make the boating experience something that you will want to forget.

Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names.

Everyone knows that renaming a boat ship brings nothing but bad luck and make the boating experience something that you will want to forget.

Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names.

Uuuuh, Destiny is far from being the first cruise ship to change names. There's a huge list of ships that have been transferred, refurbished, and had their names changed. In fact, many of these ships have a better, more prosperous life after their names are changed...

Does anyone else think that it is ironic that for the past several weeks everyone has been speculating about the possibility or advisability of rebranding or renaming Costa or its ships, Carnival decides to rename one of its own vessels and comes up with a name that calls to mind Royal Caribbean's new class of ships? Seems the biggest beneficiaries of this name change will be the printers who will have to produce all new print products, the companies that manufacture all the logo clothing and associated products, the sign painters who will repaint the ship with its new name, and the advertising agency that will create new ads promoting the ship's new identity.:rolleyes:

I frankly have no problem with the chosen name but have trouble envisioning the meeting where executives thought this was such a priority and so necessary that they raised the idea in the first place:D Can hardly wait to see what Costa renames the Allegra.;)

Uuuuh, Destiny is far from being the first cruise ship to change names. There's a huge list of ships that have been transferred, refurbished, and had their names changed. In fact, many of these ships have a better, more prosperous life after their names are changed...

Sure there have been transfers of those type from Carnival Corp and RCCL to their subsidiaries and small lesser known mostly European or Australian based lines, but how often have ships been refurbished, had their names changed, and then kept in the exact same fleet? At least the Costa Romantica kept most of her name in the transition.

it's actually bad luck to change the name of a boat /ship:eek:

The ships are almost always re-christened in the new official naming ceremony. This 'cancels' the bad luck. ;)

Are you suggesting NeoDestiny?

Heavens forbid NO. Even with the change the name Costa NeoRomatica is awful.

There should have been a month long contest to pick the new name and the winner given a suite on her for the first sailing out of New Orleans. That would have offered up plenty of better names than Carnival Sunshine.

There should have been a month long contest to pick the new name and the winner given a suite on her for the first sailing out of New Orleans. That would have offered up plenty of better names than Carnival Sunshine.

That would have been nice but it seems Mr.Arnison chose this name. And If we dont like it too bad per his tweet

That would have been nice but it seems Mr.Arnison chose this name. And If we dont like it too bad per his tweet

I think it was last year, maybe the year before, Celebrity Cruises came out with a new advertising campaign that received such an immediate backlash from frequent guests and Cruise Critic members that they actually cancelled the new campaign within a couple of weeks. The CEO of Celebrity Cruises came on Cruise Critic and actually thanked everyone for their input. It was an amazing display of a company saying 'We made a mistake. Sorry.'

It's a shame Carnival can't step up to the plate and Mr. Arison admit the name is less than pleasing to the majority of Carnival guests.

So because you don't like the name they chose means it's a mistake?

I can understand if they put a bunch of restaurants on the ship with terrible food that no one liked...shows that nobody enjoys, etc....now that would be a mistake.

At the end of the day you (or other people complaining about the name) are going to cruise it eventually...and if not, it's really sad that you'd let a name prevent you from doing something you love doing.

So because you don't like the name they chose means it's a mistake?

I can understand if they put a bunch of restaurants on the ship with terrible food that no one liked...shows that nobody enjoys, etc....now that would be a mistake.

At the end of the day you (or other people complaining about the name) are going to cruise it eventually...and if not, it's really sad that you'd let a name prevent you from doing something you love doing.

Corporations make failed business decisions all the time, be it a product change or the name change of a product. Think along the lines of New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, Coors (the beer folks) Spring Water, LaserDiscs, The Arch Deluxe and the McDonalds McDLT, Windows Vista, Ford's Edsel, the Miscrosoft Zune mp3 player, BeerShampoo, and Cocaine Energy Drinks. Even Euro Disneyland was renamed Disneyland Paris when the name just proved unpopular.

It's not uncommon for any business to make a retreat once the public makes it feelings known.

But the name of a ship, officially rechristening a ship with a new name, is not something that a company can take back if it's proven unpopular. You can't change the ships name with every dry dock period like you can with it's dining and entertainment venues.

No, when all is said and done, the name won't be the deciding factor in keeping people off of this ship. There may be a plethora of other factors that when combined may make it a 'last choice' when choosing ships out of New Orleans. Or they may just go elsewhere.

In my post I never said that the new name was a mistake because I didn't like it. I did say that a cruise line changed a well thought out paid for advertising campaign very shortly after it was rolled out due to consumer backlash.

When you go back and read the threads that have appeared the overwhelming majority do not like the name, hate the name, think the name is stupid and just sounds plain silly.

Again, this whole re-vamping of Destiny comes down to dollars and "sense." It makes more sense financially to rebuild the ship than to build a new one. After being out of service only 2 months, they have literally almost made a Breeze-like ship. While I think the name does sound like one of my kindergarteners named her, the ship will have some nice amenities (2.0 upgrades, waterworks, etc.) and will draw in new blood. (customers) And remember- most consumers are not savy enough to research and see that there is actually less passenger space with the remodel. Great marketing by CCL!

It's not as silly as Norwegian Breakaway.

The Breakaway is an awful name but I think I gotta say Carnival one-upped them. The Sunshine is worse. I can't wait for the Carnival Rainbow.

Hey wait, maybe the next ship will be named after Ron Artest and they can make him the, ahem, God Person. We'll call it the Carnival Metta World Peace.

OK, I just can't keep silent on this.

What dope smoking, tofu eating, tree hugging middle aged hippy beard came up with this beauty of a new name for the Carnival Destiny?

Will tie dye be mandatory on elegant night?

Will the house band be The Grateful Dead?

Will the funnel be reshaped into a peace sign?

Will there be a vegan specialty restaurant?

A vegan restaurant might not be so bad, and I could make a tie dye gown.

Why change the name? Smells like BS to me? Than to top it off the add those cabins to Deck 3 and 5. Now that is going to be a very crowded ship. Would I go on it Heck no. Way too many people And a name like that a big F. no! I think Carnival should change their name to "Carnival Greedy Bastard Cruise Line":eek:

Why change the name? Smells like BS to me? Than to top it off the add those cabins to Deck 3 and 5. Now that is going to be a very crowded ship. Would I go on it Heck no. Way too many people And a name like that a big F. no! I think Carnival should change their name to "Carnival Greedy Bastard Cruise Line":eek:

I don't think they're greedy...

My feeling is they are like any other business, trying to make a nice profit. I think that's what they are supposed to do. I just don't like how they are going about it.

They are charging less and providing less to keep charging less. It is working perfectly for them.

Read these boards. The VAST majority of people who 'like' CCL, like it because of these reasons (You will find these sentences all over the CCL boards here)

It's a good bang for your buck!

I have a large family and CCL fits my budget!

I have looked around and other cruise lines cost WAY more!

Carnival gives me a decent cruise for little money!

I can't afford air fare so I have to cruise CCL because they are the only line that leaves from a port that is driving distance from our house!

....and so on.

The people that CCL now caters to (for the most part) are people who feel they can only afford Carnival.

People used to sail CCL because it was awesome...now they sail it because it's cheap. This is what Carnival wants...this is the market they are aiming to draw. They aren't greedy, this is just business.

Even though sailing cheap isn't my priority so all the changes are not making me happy, the worst thing is the unbelievable lack of caring that the upper beards seem to have in regard to customer feedback.

How apallingthat Mickey would make those kinds of comments??? Now I understand why JH gets away with mocking passengers on his blog/FB...they do NOT care what people think.

How long is this business model going to work for them??? :confused:

I'm curious to say the least....

Archived