Rental Car from Port Area

kimscruisin

Most car rental companies will arrange to pick you up and take you to their locations near the airport to pick up the car. Cayman Auto Rentals is the only company with a physical location within walking distance of the port.

Cico/Avis does get one big plus... they are generally regarded as having the best street map of all the rental car companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise where we rented from Avis - it could not have been easier. As soon as we arrived on the dock we called Avis. By the time we got directions from the visitor info booth and walked the 4 minutes or so to the Blue Iguana gift shop pick-up point, the shuttle driver was waiting for us. Within 20 minutes he had delivered us to the Avis rental office across from the airport, we had completed all paperwork and were in a car on our way to Rum Point. Returning to the ship and back to port was just as quick and easy. Avis gets high marks from us! We only wish the tendering had been so fast.

Just returned from a cruise where we rented from Avis - it could not have been easier. As soon as we arrived on the dock we called Avis. By the time we got directions from the visitor info booth and walked the 4 minutes or so to the Blue Iguana gift shop pick-up point, the shuttle driver was waiting for us. Within 20 minutes he had delivered us to the Avis rental office across from the airport, we had completed all paperwork and were in a car on our way to Rum Point. Returning to the ship and back to port was just as quick and easy. Avis gets high marks from us! We only wish the tendering had been so fast.

Ditto. Had the same great experience. When to Rum Point too. Loved it. Was about $60 all included when we did it. I think it is a bit more now.

I believe all told our cost was about $72. We had 4 people so did not get the smallest car available. There is also a gas station within a few blocks of the car rental location - we paid less than $6 for gas.

It has been six years but when I did it, the shuttle to the car rental place and then waiting in line at the car rental place, then getting back to the car rental place and then shuttling back to the ship all took entirely too long.

• 2 months later...

I just looked at our itinerary for next month and it looks like we'll be in Grand Cayman for 6hrs. We don't want to do anything big while on the island, no beach, no tours, etc.

We basically want to have a nice relaxing day, maybe rent a car and drive around the island ourselves. I've read where when you rent a car, they pick you up, paperwork, bring you back, etc. But how much time can we expect that we can actually drive around? Is it a huge island? Or can we pretty much drive around the whole thing within a couple hours?

I've just been looking around and noticed that Cayman Auto Rentals has a Suzuki van to rent (there might be 7 of us) for a reasonable price. If the other 3 in our party aren't going with us that day, we'd get something smaller obviously. But just wondering if anyone has used them?

I'm planning on renting a car for our trip in 3 weeks. We LOVE Rum Point and that is our destination. There are no tours that take you just there. From the looks of the maps I've seen it shouldnt be hard to get out there. Maybe 20-25 minutes. In the past we have arrived there on a tour boat. A car rental is so much better and cheaper than a tour. Our stop there is from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. A nice amount of time. We plan on spending about 3-3 1/2 hours at Rum Point.

Now to decide which rental car company.

Archived