Planned early disembarkation

LDVinNC

On our upcoming transatlantic, we will be leaving the Ryndam in Cherbourg, two days before the final port of Rotterdam. We DO have permission, and a letter, from HA allowing us to do this. We know we will have to take our own luggage off the ship, but I was wondering if there will be any time constraints - will they make us debark (or is it disembark?) early or can we do it at our leisure, since our car rental pickup is not until 11 am. If anyone has done such a thing, please advise. Thanks!

They can surely tell you. If not over the phone pre-cruise, then when you board the ship. One point I would like to make....tell security you will not be reboarding. I know you have permission, but security may not get the word, and will be announcing your name over the PA system. This happened on a previous cruise of ours. Sounds like a great cruise.

If not at the beginning of the cruise -- but close to it -- you will get a form letter asking about your plans for disembarkation -- be certain on this form that you indicate that you are leaving the ship a couple of days early and that you do indeed have a letter from Seattle giving you permission to do this.

A day or so before you leave the ship, you should get a letter directing you where to and when you are to leave the ship.

Since your cabin will not be "turned around" for new guests on that day, I would expect that you can leave later than on a normal debarkation day ... but there may be a time frame that you must meet with French Customs and Immigration.

I did this last year from the Prinsendam, leaving in Edinburgh a couple of days early to connect with QM2.

First of all, Seattle knowing that you will leave early does not guarantee that the word gets to the ship; it didn't with me. I'd recommend getting your authorization in writing and having a copy with you. Check with the front desk early in the cruise (perhaps when you get the disembarkation survey) and make sure they are aware.

A day or two before you disembark you will get a letter giving the final conditions for disembarkation, which are largely determined by the local authorities. Expect to meet with a French immigration representative about the time the ship is cleared. THEY may require you to leave as soon as you finish the interview but HAL won't. I met with British immigration about 8:30 and was then allowed to stay on the ship as long as I wanted (leaving about 19:20). If there is a deadline to leave the ship it will be announced in the letter. I know I was given an offer of assistance with luggage, I don't know if that's universal or not. By the way, I was given credit for the days I paid for but missed.

I'm going to try to edit this post later to attach the letter I got (from another computer). Have a wonderful cruise.

Roy

exitltr.pdf

Bring several copies of the written permission. It could be handy having extras in the event you have to turn one into the office... though they probably would copy it for you.

My experience disembarking early worked out without a hitch. Do as suggested, talk with the Front Desk ahead of time, always have documentation available if needed, and you'll be good to go. Timing wise, disembarking will most likely be at your convenience.

When we disembarked two days early in Halifax instead of New York City we were on a TA on the Eurodam. We did not even decide to leave early until the day before and we simply told the front desk we were going to be leaving. We were assisted with our luggage to meet with immigration in the Hudson Room and we were then told we could stay aboard until we were ready to leave or could go right away. We chose to leave right away and we were assisted with our luggage to the outside of the terminal where we were picked up by our rental car agency. It just seemed suddenly simpler to rent a car and be home in 4 hours than to fly from NYC to Toronto and then home.

It seemed about 40 other passengers had the same idea.

HAL had us sign an agreement that we would not claim reimbursement for the unused part of the cruise.

Archived