Hellesylt & Geiranger

We will be cruising Iceland and Norway on the Carribean Princess July 20,2012 and would like information and recommendations on whether we should disembark at Hellesylt and take an excurison or stay on the ship and sail on to Geiranger. If we get off in Hellesylt will we miss sailing through the Fjord. Any recommendations on which to do?

We will be cruising Iceland and Norway on the Carribean Princess July 20, 2012 and would like information and recommendations on whether we should disembark at Hellesylt and take an excurison or stay on the ship and sail on to Geiranger. If we get off in Hellesylt will we miss sailing through the Fjord. Any recommendations on which to do?

Welcome to the Cruise Critic boards. Lots of helpful people here and much good information to share. We did an "upcountry" ship tour from our ship, disembarking at Hellesylt and finishing at Geiranger. You are not missing any sailing through the fjords. Why? As you depart from Geiranger, you will see all of the famed waterfalls and other sights there along that area during your sail out. You see all the various sights along the routing to Hellesylt as you sail into there.

Below are just a few of my photo samples for just some of what we saw in doing that trip. You see more details by checking out the live/blog from our Norway coast trip in July 2010.

Hellesylt is not a large village, but it was a starting point for our overland tour. In most cases, you don’t take the tender into this port unless you have a tour departing from this point. We stopped at the Raftevold Hotel, overlooking the Hornindals-Vannet Lake. At approximately 1,700 feet, this crystal-clear lake is as deep as Lake Tahoe and is the deepest lake in Europe

Reactions and questions on and about this great area?? Other stops in the area?

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,189 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,417 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the eight-hour “Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger” bus tour, we stopped at the Jostedalsbreen National Park with these great views, even on a cloudy and foggy day. The rains had stopped by this point in the tour. These visuals include a nearby village scene and the grass on the top of a small building.:

FjordsNatParkWaterBridge.jpg

FjordsGrassRoof.jpg

At the Videseter Hotel on the way to Geiranger, we saw a spectacular waterfall and then a cute sheep (up close and personal) at this scenic high mountain elevation location.:

FjordsHotelWaterfall.jpg

FjordSheepFace.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

We will be cruising Iceland and Norway on the Carribean Princess July 20,2012 and would like information and recommendations on whether we should disembark at Hellesylt and take an excurison or stay on the ship and sail on to Geiranger. If we get off in Hellesylt will we miss sailing through the Fjord. Any recommendations on which to do?

If you do an excursion from Hellesylt, you'll see what you missed between Hellesylt and Geiranger on the sailaway. I haven't been there yet, but I briefly had a Princess Norway cruise booked in 2010 that stopped in Hellesylt, and I planned to do an all-day excursion from there.

We are on this ship in June and also doing this stop. I have similar questions.

Here is what I've found through the boards and research. You do sail in the same way you sail out - so if you get off for an overland tour, you will see the fjord on your way out. However, I've heard the sail in is typically slower than the sail out. I've also heard that the sail in is sometimes narrated. I also figure that by the evening I'll be exhausted if I did an overland tour (based on what others have said) and it would be evening/dinner time. Plus if the weather isn't ideal - sailing in and out gives you two chances to see this.

Everyone who has done an overland tour seems to love it - but agrees it's exhausting. There does not seem to be a ton to do in Geiranger - you can do a short tour - the time in port is not extensive and it's a tendering port so it takes a bit longer.

I've eliminated the kayaking/Rib boat/rafting excursions as I'm not sure we'd really see anything new. There are 8 of us going and I'm still trying to figure out what everyone most wants to do. If we do the overland tour I'm inclined to pick the one with a bit of glacier hiking, just to cut down on the "sitting on the bus" time. I think one reason it is difficult to get a lot of information on what to do is because there are likely very few people that have done this stop both ways to offer opinions on what they liked better.

Nancy - depending on your other stops - I'd love to hear what you are doing.

We are on this ship in June and also doing this stop. I have similar questions.

Here is what I've found through the boards and research. You do sail in the same way you sail out - so if you get off for an overland tour, you will see the fjord on your way out. However, I've heard the sail in is typically slower than the sail out. I've also heard that the sail in is sometimes narrated. I also figure that by the evening I'll be exhausted if I did an overland tour (based on what others have said) and it would be evening/dinner time. Plus if the weather isn't ideal - sailing in and out gives you two chances to see this.

Everyone who has done an overland tour seems to love it - but agrees it's exhausting. There does not seem to be a ton to do in Geiranger - you can do a short tour - the time in port is not extensive and it's a tendering port so it takes a bit longer.

I've eliminated the kayaking/Rib boat/rafting excursions as I'm not sure we'd really see anything new. There are 8 of us going and I'm still trying to figure out what everyone most wants to do. If we do the overland tour I'm inclined to pick the one with a bit of glacier hiking, just to cut down on the "sitting on the bus" time. I think one reason it is difficult to get a lot of information on what to do is because there are likely very few people that have done this stop both ways to offer opinions on what they liked better.

Nancy - depending on your other stops - I'd love to hear what you are doing.

I'll be in Geiranger (but not Hellesylt) on Brilliance of the Seas in June. What you've said about the long tours from Hellesylt being exhausting makes very good sense, and for that reason, I didn't book the 8-hour tour from Geiranger that is offered by RCI. (It also wasn't as interesting as the two offered by Princess.) Instead, I booked the 3-hour "Geiranger Fjord Panorama" that looks fairly equivalent to Princess's "Mt. Dalsnibba & Flydalsjuvet" excursion - but without the snack and $60 less! Another of our ports is Olden, and that is where the hike to the Briksdal Glacier is offered - which I plan to do.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's what we did three years ago. We got off the ship in Hellesylt (even though they tell you it is ONLY for people who have booked tours, that's not really true) and then got on the LOCAL ferry that goes up the fjord. First of all, it got us in to Geiranger about an hour ahead of the ship and we were able to get a rental car quickly...which enabled us to get to ALL of the places on the ships' tours by ourselves. Secondly, we were on the ferry with locals and had commentary in several languages. There was Norwegian music playing and we had yummy baked goods and coffee from the little snack bar on board. I would do this again in a heartbeat. Yes, we paid for the same journey twice (being on the ship and being on the ferry) but consider it a very inexpensive "shore" excursion to be on the local ferry!! The "expert" on our ship wasn't always correct in her information, so we enjoyed the local flavor of the ferry and all the folklore shared with us along the way...as well as the locals who wanted to be sure we saw things! We are going again this summer, and the "overland" trip sounds more interesting for a second trip. But, maybe we will just take the ferry again. On the whole, we seldom take ships tours and have never yet (knock on wood) missed the ship.

I would say that out of all the tours offered in Norway the tour from Hellysylt to Geiranger is definately one of the best and well worth the money. The scenery inland is even more spectacular than going along the fjords, at least that is my opinion. Even if you are on a bus for a long time it will not seem like a long time as each corner you turn has even better scenery than before so if you appreciate wonderful scenery you will be amazed.

I did this trip ( Grand Princess, 2007 ) overland, and still think it´s the best excursion I have ever taken. Stunning landscapes! Besides, my son was able to touch the snow for the first time. You just have to be lucky with the weather! Enjoy.

We did the overland tour with Princess and it was EXCELLENT. We would HIGHLY recommend it. It is worth the money spend on it.

We made many stops along the way. We stoped for a snack break (coffee & cake), and lunch at set meal (cucumber salada, shrimp cocktail, bread, salmon, potatoe, watermelon, beer, water).

It is an all day bus tour but the views you see mountains, waterfalls, sheep wandering the roads, glaciers, the narrow roads where the bus/cars have to pull over to let the other pass.

You tender off at Hellesylt, bus, and tender back onboard at Geiranger. You do not miss the view of the fjord as you return the same way as you came in.

This is a popular tour so book early.

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if any one will see this, but if you do, let me know which side of the bus is best for photos on the Overland Tour. We are going from Geiranger to Hellysylt. So let me know which way you went so I can adjust appropriately. Thanks!

We had the front seats behind the door, right side, they were the best. We could look out the front and also the right side window and also across the aisle.There were great views from both sides of the bus.

You will REALLY enjoy this tour. Well worth the money spend.

We had the front seats behind the door, right side, they were the best. We could look out the front and also the right side window and also across the aisle. There were great views from both sides of the bus. You will REALLY enjoy this tour. Well worth the money spend.

Agree with above that both sides of the bus are about equal. On the really good places, there will be stops and opportunity to get out, see more, take pictures, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,421 views.

• 1 month later...

The company we're cruising with is offering a trip (6.5 hours) the takes us ti Gerainger and up Mt Dalssnibba. I fancy the first bit but not the second.

The tour is £90pp, is it worth it ?

Many posts say that the mountain is pot luck as to whether you get to see anything.

Help please.

The company we're cruising with is offering a trip (6.5 hours) the takes us ti Gerainger and up Mt Dalssnibba. I fancy the first bit but not the second.

The tour is £90pp, is it worth it ?

Many posts say that the mountain is pot luck as to whether you get to see anything.

Help please.

The company we're cruising with is offering a trip (6.5 hours) the takes us ti Gerainger and up Mt Dalssnibba. I fancy the first bit but not the second. The tour is £90pp, is it worth it ? Many posts say that the mountain is pot luck as to whether you get to see anything. Help please.

YES, Mt. Dalsnibba can be a bit of a gamble. On our all-day trip, it rained a little in the am and we had this mountain top fogged in later in the afternoon. BUT, overall, we saw lots and lots of other great sights and really enjoyed going "up country" to see much more than just what is in this small port.

It is worth it? I don't know the size and flexibility of your bank account. Another way to consider it is looking at the TOTAL costs you will spend on the air travel, cruise, etc., for this adventure trip. That £90pp is a small portion of complete, overall costs. If you don't get the best on the mountain top, maybe you have lost a little, but you will still see some good and interesting things. If you have nice weather, then the value and memories will "priceless" as compared to the big, big feeling for having "missed it".

Trade-offs!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 77,690 views.

Archived