going to bars & not drinking

4spring

Actually, the card players should be considerate of others who would like to sit down and EAT, which is what that area is designed for. There are other areas of the ship to socialize and play cards. :cool:

I'm totally with you on this one! There are plenty of areas you can go and socialize and play games, but the buffet is for eating when food is available....it is hard to eat while standing...

I Go to every bar or club on the ship, if i ordered a drink at each bar i'd get kicked off at the first port,i'm a one drink kinda girl.:)

Just take a longer cruise...more time to spread it out!:D

The OP said they ordered drinks, finished and wondered if it was OK if they stayed to enjoy the music.

You chimed in saying it was not OK. Or maybe you misunderstood the original post when you replied. Either way, your argument is weak.

In my opinion of course.

Actually I don't see where he ever replied to the OP directly, he was replying to someone who referenced not buying any drinks, so there is a difference.

I think we can look at it from 3 points of view:

Non-Drinker-feels they paid for their cruise and it includes entertainment so they can sit and hang out and not drink.

Drinker-feels since they are drinking and the most logical choice to do so is at the bar, they should be able to sit at the bar as they are using it for its' intended purpose and that is where you get the drinks.

Carnival-won't touch this with a ten foot pole. Start a 2 drink minimum & people will complain. Make a rule and try to deal with how long you can have a seat for each drink. Which employee is the lucky one that get to walk around and time people and then ask them to leave...be people would rather clean the dumpsters!

So, what we know is that Carnival isn't going to do anything about it. We know not everyone drinks nor should they be forced to drink just so they can enjoy the music. We know that everyone paid for their vacation so it is anyone's spot.

What I know is how I feel. I can be either a drinker or not. More so I will drive but NEVER do I sit at the bar without tipping for each glass of water that I drink. Never do I sit at a table and tip on any amount less than if I had ordered a meal. If I got a $7 appetizer and DH got a $8 burger...that is $15...20% is $3 for a tip...wouldn't do it...I se ho much 2 dinners would have cost...if the average was $20 each and bill would have been $40...20% is $8...I will tip the $8. I don't want our waitress to be penalized because we were just grabbing a quick bite...that I what McDonalds is for...

Now I know that I don't enjoy standing while I drink, it just leaves no place to set your drink down at all or relax...I do find it much less difficult to stand while not drinking or holding a drink...i have rarely seen this as an issue as there is almost always a seat in the piano bar and I don't care if it is prime, but I could see how someone that wants to sit and have a drink in a BAR and has no place as the bar is full and some are not drinking...

No one has any more right than the next person but common courtesy does go a long way. If we have been somewhere for a while and we are leaving soon and someone comes in and needs a seat we will get up and give it to them, drinking or not...

But now that the Piano bar I non smoking, there I always room...

There is no reason for Carnival to do anything about it! Because anyone is allowed to go and sit and listen to the pianist. There is absolutely no rule in place that says you have to buy a drink to sit in the Piano Bar. How can anyone not get that! Even kids are allowed to sit and listen to the music. You don't have to buy a drink and you are most certainly not obligated in any way to give up your seat to anyone. Geez, it's a simple concept!

There's a troll on this thread that's trying to take it over and as usual trolls make no sense so at a certain point it's just best to say Goodbye rather than try to make sense with nonsense!.

The piano bar is not open to be a free lounge for listening to music.Its open to sell beverages PERIOD.

Um, not quit, it's open for entertainment for passengers. Not only have I paid my cruise fare for it's included entertainment, but I'm also paying the musician directly per song to play requests. Cash in his pocket that night. I will also buy the piano man a drink with requests. Most nights I drank, but the last night of our cruise I didn't drink because I wasn't feeling well. I spoke with the server to ask if I could sit without ordering alcohol and asked her to keep bringing me ice water, which I tipped for each time. My tips put cash in her pocket directly that night.

I am pretty baffled by much of the opposition voiced re: mandatory alcohol consumption in the lounges. I book bands through our local venues, most times they get paid a percentage of the bar rather then collecting a cover at the door. My husband is a musician and often times in the same scenario. The main concern is that everyone has a good time, regardless if they consume alcohol or not.

Agree with all, see the smile? I rarely sit in a bar without a drink BUT if I was watching someone play and like the song, you would be hard pressed to get me to leave with or without a drink in front of me.

Last cruise, my DH & I went & sat down in the piano bar for a while. The drink we ordered was finished but we wanted to sit & listen to the music. The place wasn't crowded. Is it okay to just sit & enjoy the music?

The ONLY comment I would have is that sometimes people are kinda waiting for that primo seat......:D

Geeezzzz! What a to do about nothing.... IF you were to notice the OP said the place was not crowded! Of course it's OK to sit and enjoy. I'm ashamed that my silly comment about waiting for a primo seat caused all this.... Again a piano bar is for watching and sharing, yes they SELL drinks and yeah they would like you to BUY one, but gosh that surely does not mean on a cruise ship that you have already paid for that you HAVE to buy a drink... THE absolute best comment here is about the piano bar being non-smoking now, which should make it empty anyway as it seemed to be the hangout. Get a life, enjoy the music with or without a drink. Fine by me...

Its sad but true .Because they arent allowed to ask people to move

Because there is no rule to enforce;).

So a bar is open in case someone wants to drink LOL.You are incorrect

On my two previous cruises there were many times when I walked through a bar/lounge and the only person in it was the bartender, so yes, the bars/lounges are open in case someone wants to drink. Granted, CCL would love to sell you the maximum amount of beverages (with or without alcohol) that they can in any of the bars/lounges but they certainly can't force you to buy them.

On our last cruise my husband and I were walking around the ship in the evening, after dinner and there was no big show in the main theater. We had our insulated mugs with iced tea. We stopped at the piano bar and listened awhile, sitting off to the side (not right at the bar by the piano). We were approached once to buy a drink and we delined. We were there about a half-hour I think. It wasn't busy as it was early yet, so I didn't feel guilty for not buying. I think I would if it was packed though. I think I would have felt like we were taking up seats that "paying customers" could have had. Yes, I know we paid for the cruise but the bar is in the business of selling drinks.

Most nights when we went to the comedy club or the Habana Bar to listen to the band we did buy at least one drink. I generally "nurse it" though and make it last a good while.

My husband and I both drink a bit, maybe 3 or 4 per day. However, we often enjoy the entertainment anywhere on the ship without a drink in hand, including the prime seats at the piano bar. Whether anyone else is drinking has never been on my radar. The motto is "fun for all" and that obviously includes people who don't drink!

Um, not quit, it's open for entertainment for passengers. Not only have I paid my cruise fare for it's included entertainment, but I'm also paying the musician directly per song to play requests. Cash in his pocket that night. I will also buy the piano man a drink with requests. Most nights I drank, but the last night of our cruise I didn't drink because I wasn't feeling well. I spoke with the server to ask if I could sit without ordering alcohol and asked her to keep bringing me ice water, which I tipped for each time. My tips put cash in her pocket directly that night.

I am pretty baffled by much of the opposition voiced re: mandatory alcohol consumption in the lounges. I book bands through our local venues, most times they get paid a percentage of the bar rather then collecting a cover at the door. My husband is a musician and often times in the same scenario. The main concern is that everyone has a good time, regardless if they consume alcohol or not.

Maybe you should re read my posts before you comment about my mandatory alcohol comsumption.In case you cant find it I will tell you what I did say.There are plenty of virgin drinks as well as soda that people who do not drink can order

There is no reason for Carnival to do anything about it! Because anyone is allowed to go and sit and listen to the pianist. There is absolutely no rule in place that says you have to buy a drink to sit in the Piano Bar. How can anyone not get that! Even kids are allowed to sit and listen to the music. You don't have to buy a drink and you are most certainly not obligated in any way to give up your seat to anyone. Geez, it's a simple concept!

There's a troll on this thread that's trying to take it over and as usual trolls make no sense so at a certain point it's just best to say Goodbye rather than try to make sense with nonsense!.

Im a troll because my opinion varies from yours.Take your ball and go home !!!

Well poop!!! I wanted to ask a question but now I fear being harassed. I'll be traveling with a 14 yr old this cruise. My question: Will it be ok to go into a club, bar, etc with her with me? I don't drink, although recently I have started trying red wine. I would like to see the red frog pub & the snacks people have been talking about. I'd also like to watch folks do Karaoke & visit the piano bar. Including the disco where the dancing is goin on.

Now before you slam me, I wouldnt ever consider her going in a bar on land. I ran one for 10 yrs & its certainly not a place for kids. Of course I'd be picky about observing what was going on in the place at the time. Just wondering if anyone else ever does & if its acceptable. Thought this thread appropriate for asking this question as I wouldnt be drinking with my granddaughter with me.

As the OP, I want to thank everyone for their opinions. It gives me a "read" on how different folks view this. I have the feeling that I very well might end up in the piano bar or any other bar of interest while on my cruise. Since I'm not one to order a bunch of drinks, I'd probably sit off to the back away from "primo" seats (btw, I took no offense bob on that comment"). And if the place was packed & no one in my group was drinking, I might get up & stand along the wall so that folks with drinks had a place to put theirs. (but that's just me).

Am curious as to what folks think about kids in the piano bar. I've seen some in there in the past but not a a bunch. Usually as part of a family group.

As the OP, I want to thank everyone for their opinions. It gives me a "read" on how different folks view this. I have the feeling that I very well might end up in the piano bar or any other bar of interest while on my cruise. Since I'm not one to order a bunch of drinks, I'd probably sit off to the back away from "primo" seats (btw, I took no offense bob on that comment"). And if the place was packed & no one in my group was drinking, I might get up & stand along the wall so that folks with drinks had a place to put theirs. (but that's just me).

Am curious as to what folks think about kids in the piano bar. I've seen some in there in the past but not a a bunch. Usually as part of a family group.

I disapprove. I've noticed that the Piano bars have occasionally turned into Camp Carnival since they've banned smoking. Kid's doing sing-along's using the mike at 11 p.m., being passed tambourines to "help" with the music, etc. Just sad, in my opinion the Piano bar was much more fun with the smokers. My spouse & I generally shake our heads and go elsewhere.

Well poop!!! I wanted to ask a question but now I fear being harassed. I'll be traveling with a 14 yr old this cruise. My question: Will it be ok to go into a club, bar, etc with her with me? I don't drink, although recently I have started trying red wine. I would like to see the red frog pub & the snacks people have been talking about. I'd also like to watch folks do Karaoke & visit the piano bar. Including the disco where the dancing is goin on.

Now before you slam me, I wouldnt ever consider her going in a bar on land. I ran one for 10 yrs & its certainly not a place for kids. Of course I'd be picky about observing what was going on in the place at the time. Just wondering if anyone else ever does & if its acceptable. Thought this thread appropriate for asking this question as I wouldnt be drinking with my granddaughter with me.

By golly, there is a rule about kids in the bars/lounges:;)

Lounges, shows, and the dance club: Guests under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult in all public areas of the ship. Guests under the age of 18 must vacate the dance club by 10:00pm. Guests under the age of 18 may not attend the Midnight Shows, which are "R" rated.

I disapprove. I've noticed that the Piano bars have occasionally turned into Camp Carnival since they've banned smoking. Kid's doing sing-along's using the mike at 11 p.m., being passed tambourines to "help" with the music, etc. Just sad, in my opinion the Piano bar was much more fun with the smokers. My spouse & I generally shake our heads and go elsewhere.

Joe, I guess I was posting a response to the post above mine which was asking about this. I guess I commented just out of curiosity. My kids have meals with us & go on excursions with us but after that, they pretty much hang out with their friends. I wouldn't really want to have a bunch of kids doing a sing-along at the piano bar either. And spending time in the piano bar for me, would be a way to chill out away from the kids. (although Sardis- was only asking about one child, whom she would want to spend time with so that seems pretty doable).

Thanks for the above post outlining Carnival's take on this.

Guests under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult in all public areas of the ship.

Woah- there is seriously a rule on this? That sure isn't enforced.... kids run around (not necessarily misbehaving) all the time without supervision.

Woah- there is seriously a rule on this? That sure isn't enforced.... kids run around (not necessarily misbehaving) all the time without supervision.

Yes, but that rule is so when the kids get it trouble it makes the parent responsible for their actions as they weren't with them...

Archived