Comparison of Carnival vs NCL embarkation

Bibble

I know very well how embarkation goes for Carnival.

Can anyone tell me if it's the same for NCL? (last NCL cruise was before a majority of my Carnival ones, and I can't recall). Can we get there early if we want, just like Carnival? Do they do zones just like Carnival?

That's really all I wanted to know. I don't want to get there early like I do for Carnival, and then have to wait outside...

Thanks in advance!

I embarked on the Spirit - my first cruise. After they scanned my carry-on, they gave me a 'number'. I was there early - we didn't leave til 5, I was in the port at 10:30. We didn't start boarding til noon, and they called you by number.

I hope that helps....

I know very well how embarkation goes for Carnival.

Can anyone tell me if it's the same for NCL? (last NCL cruise was before a majority of my Carnival ones, and I can't recall). Can we get there early if we want, just like Carnival? Do they do zones just like Carnival?

That's really all I wanted to know. I don't want to get there early like I do for Carnival, and then have to wait outside...

Thanks in advance!

It is pretty much identical, though IMO NCL is a bit more organized and has better seating in their waiting areas, at least in Miami.

Very similar, though not every sailing/port seems to use the numbers for boarding, even when you get there early. Yes, you can get there early with NCL too :)The biggest difference we noted was that NCL doesn't use the kiosks. But they still have a pretty painless and efficient process.

This was different for me. There was a longish looking line when we got out of the cab. However the line moved fairly quickly. The check in area appeared to be in a temporary building. It reminded me of a tent.

The check in was pretty efficient. One lady was training, and had a problem with my dads passport. She said something about declined. Before my dad could launch, the supervisor was there taking over and checking dad in. Then we got in another line and boarded. The entire process, cab to ship was 45 minutes.

We also ate in the mdr for lunch. That was very nice.

I think it has more to do with debarkation port than cruise line. We have cruised both and the procedure is very similar. Last December we cruised NCL out of NYC - super easy and quick - on board in minutes (arrived early - around 11:00 am I believe, on board by 12:15?) and we were even permitted to go to our cabins immediately. Of course there was no luggage for a few hours but it is nice to put your carryons somewhere and put things in the safe before you go to lunch.

Thank you all for your responses!!!

I get very "antsy" about the unknown, and now that I've got Carnival's embarkation down to a T, I started thinking about NCL (for next October - LOL) and wondering if it's the same deal.

I appreciate it!

I might be taking a NCL cruise so this is of interest to me.

Glad to have helped :)

I'm just the person who really likes to get on the ship as soon as possible. I'm that anxious kid who can't wait to get there... and since I know that getting to Carnival at 10:00 means I sit and read for a little while, but get onboard shortly after VIP, I was wondering if it's the same for NCL. As much as I'm okay with sitting and reading for an hour, I don't necessarily want to be standing in the security line for an hour until it's okay to go in. Not sure if that makes sense. And the NCL cruise I'm doing is only 2 nights, gotta make the most out of that first day! LOL!

NCL 2x out of Miami...can get there early

easiest ever

no kiosks..but really NO lines...you get up to the counter, give them your

preprinted "?" passport and check in all at once..give your credit card, get your security picture taken and get your sign and sail card all at once

then you walk right onto the ship

Nice touches : NCL has balloons and cheering staff to greet you as you enter ship, they have a lounge where you can drop off your carry ons

and they tag them , so that you can enjoy lunch and then pick them up when the rooms are ready

Have a good cruise

Nice touches : NCL has balloons and cheering staff to greet you as you enter ship, they have a lounge where you can drop off your carry ons

and they tag them , so that you can enjoy lunch and then pick them up when the rooms are ready

Yes! I can't believe I totally forgot about these things, these are what we missed on Carnival back in January. Really handy!

Two other things to note - on NCL, your security photo gets taken at check-in before you board the ship. Not sure how it's done across the Carnival fleet but on the Imagination, it was done right after we boarded. I preferred having it out of the way on NCL. Also, one of the MDRs will be open on NCL for lunch so you won't have to deal with the buffet craziness. They don't generally advertise this but if you ask a crew/staff member which MDR it is and how to get there, they'll tell you. It's a very relaxing way to start vacation!

Yes! I can't believe I totally forgot about these things, these are what we missed on Carnival back in January. Really handy!

Two other things to note - on NCL, your security photo gets taken at check-in before you board the ship. Not sure how it's done across the Carnival fleet but on the Imagination, it was done right after we boarded. I preferred having it out of the way on NCL. Also, one of the MDRs will be open on NCL for lunch so you won't have to deal with the buffet craziness. They don't generally advertise this but if you ask a crew/staff member which MDR it is and how to get there, they'll tell you. It's a very relaxing way to start vacation!

Great we are platinum on Carnival and get on very early, nice to know that once you get thru check in on NCL you are basically done.

You can eat lunch in one of the dining rooms instead of having to battle the mobs at the buffet. The dining room is usually pretty empty and it is sooo relaxing instead of dealing with the masses. I must say my favorite part of NCL embarkation day.

Embarkation is, as others have said, a bit more streamlined. You get everything done in one line and then after you go past where you get your welcome aboard picture taken, the picture goes on the s&s card and then go to where they " ding" your card for the first time and you are on the ship !

This info is helpful to! Thank you so much!

Archived