Current Cruise Directors (CD) List - UPDATED

DonnaK

We got off Legend of the Seas (Korea & Japan cruise) last week and the cruise director was Dan but I can't remember his surname (his "nickname/catchcry was "Dan Dan Mian" (Dan Dan noodles).

Adventure OTS - Warren Allen started 6/2 and will be there until 6/30, then "cultural director" Jerome Sueur will take over for two weeks (6/30-7/14). Abel Jeney returns July 14 for 4 months.

Allure OTS - Ken Rush started June 10th until Sept 9, then Allan Brooks will be on from Sept 9 to Sept 30, then Jimmy Rhodes. Ken Rush expects to return after his break (Nov/Dec)

Brilliance OTS - Paul Lancaster started 3/31 *Anna Bass starts July 27

Enchantment OTS - Keith Williams started May 17. John Blair returning from his break on July 12.

Explorer OTS - Leigh Xuereb started June 7. Richard Spacey expects to return to EX at the end of July/beginning of August, but hasn't received official notification of his next assignment yet.

Freedom OTS - Graham Seymour *off July 29th returning Sept 30th. Staying through to Feb 13th 2013 *Drew Devine covering Graham's break (Confirmed by Graham himself on this thread 4/29 post #307 and #309)

Grandeur OTS - Rico Du-Breil until July 13th, returning sometime in September. Luke Aerowsmith will be there July 2nd until September 14th.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton started on June 16 thru October

Jewel OTS - Clo O'Connor (started with the eastbound TA on May 3 through the westbound TA ending 9/16. Carly Boileau will be back in Boston on Sept 16 after TA for Canada/NE cruises.

Legend OTS - Dan Whitney then Jimmy Rhodes

Liberty OTS - James Andrews until mid-July, then Leo Papa

Majesty OTS - Mitch Merucci started May 7. Dave Chapman is returning from his break in mid-July

Mariner OTS - Carly Boileau until August

Monarch OTS - Marc Walker until Sept. 14. Marc will return Nov. 16 until April 2 when Monarch leaves the fleet. (who will be filling in as CD during Marc's break Sept 14 through Nov 16?)

Navigator OTS - Simona Ferraiuolo started May 27 *Warren Allen returns on 6/30 for 4 weeks.

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert *started 6/9 Ricky Matthews expects to return when Amy takes her break.

Radiance OTS - Paul Rutter from May 11 until August 31. Bobby and Becky Brown will be returning from their break on Aug 29

Rhapsody OTS - *Anna Bass started June 15 until July 27

Serenade OTS - Rich Edwards *April 14 through June 22; then Ricky Matthews

Splendour OTS - Bill Brunkhorst for the spring/summer season in Europe. (Rich Edwards may be taking over as CD sometime in July - to be confirmed) João Pereira returns for the fall/winter season in South America

Vision OTS - Mike Hunnerup

Voyager OTS - Lixin Fang *Started in Shanghai on June 19

Currently unassigned: Mercedes Fuentes, Claudia Periou, Simeon Baker, Casey Pelter, Dennis Sciortino (aka Dennis Charles), Jimmy Rhodes, Gordon Whatman, Luke Aerowsmith

We got off Legend of the Seas (Korea & Japan cruise) last week and the cruise director was Dan but I can't remember his surname (his "nickname/catchcry was "Dan Dan Mian" (Dan Dan noodles).

that was Dan Dan the party Man, formerly CD on Radiance of the Sea. His name is Dan Whitney. Who was the master for your cruise?

Does anyone returning this weekend have info for us?

Has Warren left Adventure, and is Jerome Sueur now the CD?

Is Warren back on Navigator?

Has Jimmy Rhodes started on Legend yet?

Adventure OTS - Warren Allen started 6/2 and will be there until 6/30, then "cultural director" Jerome Sueur will take over for two weeks (6/30-7/14). (Has the changeover occurred?) Abel Jeney returns July 14 for 4 months.

Allure OTS - Ken Rush started June 10th until Sept 9, then Allan Brooks will be on from Sept 9 to Sept 30, then Jimmy Rhodes. Ken Rush expects to return after his break (Nov/Dec)

Brilliance OTS - Paul Lancaster started 3/31 *Anna Bass starts July 27

Enchantment OTS - Keith Williams started May 17. John Blair returning from his break on July 12.

Explorer OTS - Leigh Xuereb started June 7. Richard Spacey expects to return to EX at the end of July/beginning of August, but hasn't received official notification of his next assignment yet.

Freedom OTS - Graham Seymour *off July 29th returning Sept 30th. Staying through to Feb 13th 2013 *Drew Devine covering Graham's break (Confirmed by Graham himself on this thread 4/29 post #307 and #309)

Grandeur OTS - Rico Du-Breil until July 13th, returning sometime in September. Luke Aerowsmith will be there July 2nd until September 14th.

Independence OTS - Joff Eaton started on June 16 thru October

Jewel OTS - Clo O'Connor (started with the eastbound TA on May 3 through the westbound TA ending 9/16. Carly Boileau will be back in Boston on Sept 16 after TA for Canada/NE cruises.

Legend OTS - Dan Whitney then Jimmy Rhodes (Has the changeover occurred?)

Liberty OTS - James Andrews until mid-July, then Leo Papa

Majesty OTS - Mitch Merucci started May 7. Dave Chapman is returning from his break in mid-July

Mariner OTS - Carly Boileau until August

Monarch OTS - Marc Walker until Sept. 14. Marc will return Nov. 16 until April 2 when Monarch leaves the fleet. (who will be filling in as CD during Marc's break Sept 14 through Nov 16?)

Navigator OTS - Simona Ferraiuolo started May 27 *Warren Allen returns on 6/30 for 4 weeks. (Has the changeover occurred?)

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert *started 6/9 Ricky Matthews expects to return when Amy takes her break.

Radiance OTS - Paul Rutter from May 11 until August 31. Bobby and Becky Brown will be returning from their break on Aug 29

Rhapsody OTS - *Anna Bass started June 15 until July 27

Serenade OTS - Ricky Matthews started June 22

Splendour OTS - Bill Brunkhorst for the spring/summer season in Europe. (Rich Edwards may be taking over as CD sometime in July - to be confirmed) João Pereira returns for the fall/winter season in South America

Vision OTS - Mike Hunnerup

Voyager OTS - Lixin Fang *Started in Shanghai on June 19

Currently unassigned: Mercedes Fuentes, Claudia Periou, Simeon Baker, Casey Pelter, Dennis Sciortino (aka Dennis Charles), Gordon Whatman, Luke Aerowsmith, Rich Edwards

What sailing will Ricky Matthews return to the Oasis and how long will he stay?

Don't have that info yet. But Amy just started her contract on Oasis, and Ricky just started his on Serenade, so I don't imagine that it is anytime soon.

Darn Legend of the Seas stealing Jimmy Rhodes away from us on Explorer for this August. :)

Are you kidding? Good riddence! Richard Spacey or Leigh Xuereb are least one million times better than Jimmy. Huge difference. I would go out of my way to avoid Jimmy. I would also go out of my way to sail with Leigh or Richard again.

How long are the contracts? 2-3 months or longer?

Richard Spacey was asked this question on our last Explorer cruise. His response is that the contracts vary. Sometimes it's a few weeks, one month, two months, four months, six months, etc. Sometimes a cruise director will divide their contract between two ships. It's impossible to predict. And, they don't even know half the time...they can be given one assignment and then have it changed to something else.

(It's not like the Captains, who switch off between two of them every 10 weeks or so)

Since I've been maintaining this thread, that's definitely been true. Contracts have been all different lengths. I get info that a particular CD is going to one ship on a certain date, and then when the date approaches, it gets changed, or the ship gets changed.

Richard Spacey was asked this question on our last Explorer cruise. His response is that the contracts vary. Sometimes it's a few weeks, one month, two months, four months, six months, etc. Sometimes a cruise director will divide their contract between two ships. It's impossible to predict. And, they don't even know half the time...they can be given one assignment and then have it changed to something else.

(It's not like the Captains, who switch off between two of them every 10 weeks or so)

Since I've been maintaining this thread, that's definitely been true. Contracts have been all different lengths. I get info that a particular CD is going to one ship on a certain date, and then when the date approaches, it gets changed, or the ship gets changed.

Donna,

There is an overall pattern. The primary CD on a ship usually has a 4 month contract with 2 months off. Then, for every 2 CDs, there is one vacation substitute, 2 months to replace each one, so the subs have a 4-on/2-off schedule, sort of!

However, the CDs themselves often request minor changes which start the dominoes falling.

The CD scheduling is not as critical as the Captains. For the most part it doesn't really matter what ship a CD is on. So much of the job is generic and could apply to any ship.

IMHO, the most important considerations are language and culture. Not many CDs can just slip into the role in Portuguese-speaking Brazil nor the role of dealing with the Asian culture due to the vast differences in either scenario. Some of the silly pool activities just don't fly in other areas. But most CDS can readily transfer from North American itins to European to South Pacific, etc.

Sure, there are differences between large ships and smaller ones, long itineraries and shorter ones, domestic or foreign, etc, but introducing production shows, recording ships tours and morning shows, hosting the Quest or pool activities - these don't vary that much from CD to CD or sailing to sailing. Of course, personality comes into play, but that just fits into the overall framework of the job.

I think the CD has to be more flexible to adapt to the passenger mix and other conditions and that just creates a more fluid situation.

JMHO - YMMV.

Donna,

There is an overall pattern. The primary CD on a ship usually has a 4 month contract with 2 months off. Then, for every 2 CDs, there is one vacation substitute, 2 months to replace each one, so the subs have a 4-on/2-off schedule, sort of!

However, the CDs themselves often request minor changes which start the dominoes falling.

The CD scheduling is not as critical as the Captains. For the most part it doesn't really matter what ship a CD is on. So much of the job is generic and could apply to any ship.

IMHO, the most important considerations are language and culture. Not many CDs can just slip into the role in Portuguese-speaking Brazil nor the role of dealing with the Asian culture due to the vast differences in either scenario. Some of the silly pool activities just don't fly in other areas. But most CDS can readily transfer from North American itins to European to South Pacific, etc.

Sure, there are differences between large ships and smaller ones, long itineraries and shorter ones, domestic or foreign, etc, but introducing production shows, recording ships tours and morning shows, hosting the Quest or pool activities - these don't vary that much from CD to CD or sailing to sailing. Of course, personality comes into play, but that just fits into the overall framework of the job.

I think the CD has to be more flexible to adapt to the passenger mix and other conditions and that just creates a more fluid situation.

JMHO - YMMV.

Yes, I've noticed that on some ships, or with some CD's, there is a general pattern like you described above. But, there are wide variations, such as Warren Allen or Anna Bass who have been all over the place, a few weeks here then a few weeks there then a few weeks someplace else over the course of one contract.. Or Dennis who was CD for 10 months straight before his current break. Richard told me right before he took his break that while he expects to return to EX, he hadn't received official notice of his next assignment. Jimmy expected to return to EX, but was "bumped". We had specific info regarding Carly, which was changed several times close to the beginning of her current contract.

So, it's not so easy to know or predict in advance.

I agree with a lot of your comments about certain CDs being the right fit for specific cultures and regions.

I don't know how you all feel about this, but it's an idea that I "borrowed" from another cruiseline's CD thread.

So that we all can put faces to the names here, if anyone has any photos of a RCI cruise director, feel free to post them here.

I don't know how you all feel about this, but it's an idea that I "borrowed" from another cruiseline's CD thread.

So that we all can put faces to the names here, if anyone has any photos of a RCI cruise director, feel free to post them here.

I think that is a great idea :)

Donna

Are you kidding? Good riddence! Richard Spacey or Leigh Xuereb are least one million times better than Jimmy. Huge difference. I would go out of my way to avoid Jimmy. I would also go out of my way to sail with Leigh or Richard again.

Nope, not kidding. You don't like Jimmy Rhodes and that is fine. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I don't think any better or worse of you for it. You didn't like the guy. We did. My wife and I enjoyed Jimmy. I would hope for the same consideration from you.

That being said, if Richard Spacey or Leigh are our cruise director in August, I can guarantee that it's not going to ruin our cruise. I'm rather certain that we'll have a great time anyway with whomever the cruise director happens to be. Enjoy your day. :)

Nope' date=' not kidding. You don't like Jimmy Rhodes and that is fine. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I don't think any better or worse of you for it. You didn't like the guy. We did. My wife and I enjoyed Jimmy. I would hope for the same consideration from you.

That being said, if Richard Spacey or Leigh are our cruise director in August, I can guarantee that it's not going to ruin our cruise. I'm rather certain that we'll have a great time anyway with whomever the cruise director happens to be. Enjoy your day. :)[/quote']

I think you took my post more seriously than I intended it to be. Of course I respect your opinion and experience even if it differs from mine (and if you look back a few pages at my other posts on the same subject, you will see that). You are not the only person who likes him, and I am not the only person who doesn't. That's what makes this thread so interesting - all the different opinions and experiences shared here.

Sorry that this particular post came off offensive.

Enjoy your cruise - I love Explorer!!!

No problem at all Donna and no need to apologize. It happens all the time on message boards and I'm just as much as fault, if not more.

I do see how Jimmy Rhodes can rub people the wrong way and although he will likely not be on this cruise, I am interested in experiencing another cruise director to get some comparisons going. We're from NJ and will have taken two cruises from Cape Liberty in Bayonne. In the next few years, I also want to take a cruise from Baltimore or Florida to compare ships.

I loved EoS and cannot wait to get back on her next month...that sounded entirely too dirty, but I'm leaving it that way. :D

Good talking to you Donna and sorry for the confusion. :)

Bart

I guess I'd like to say that I don't mind seeing who is and isn't someone's favorite CD. I'd just like to see it not stated too harshly or insulting. Some of them do read here or have the remarks repeated to them and it DOES hurt their feelings. We could take it a little easier on them. Personalities don't always mesh but they obviously got their jobs for some good reason and some degree of capability.

I know the CDs I've liked best seem to have not always been the favorites of others. I happen to not like the overly showy, loud, and in your face type of CD. That seems to be what others think are fun. I thought a CD should "direct" the cruise, not BE the cruise. Sure, I like it if they have some sort of extra talent - singing or dancing - but it's not a requirement. I just don't like the flying all over the stage type of thing - jumping around - yelling out stuff. Too much of a put on for me.

That's how I see it. :)

Gina

Will I ever get to see the great Joff Eaton at work...deep sigh! Looks like he'll be off The Indy when we do the TA in November this year :(

Haha I feel the same. I hear so many good things about him but have not been fortunate enough to get him yet. The other two cruise directors I have had on the Indy have been fantastic but I really want to see how good Joff is.

Haha I feel the same. I hear so many good things about him but have not been fortunate enough to get him yet. The other two cruise directors I have had on the Indy have been fantastic but I really want to see how good Joff is.

Had him on Jewel 3 years ago and have him this year :D. Really suits British humour and reminds me a lot of John Cleese; looks, voice and style of presentation. There is a quite a bit of him on youtube that will give you a good idea of him :)

Great idea. I'll start with a pic of Dennis Charles playing Crew vs. Passenger water volleyball on the Serenade a couple years ago.

4532146221_0591196f0b.jpg

I don't have photos of any other CD's, other than what was in the Behind the Name Tags sheets. I think the candid photos will be more fun anyway.

Archived