Montreal to Plattsburgh, NY Taxi Cost

We will be disembarking from a New England/Canada cruise in Montreal. We want to go into upstate New York to pick-up a car rental since the one-way car rentals are horribly expensive from Canada to the US. Can any of you please tell me what the taxi cost would be from Montreal down to Plattsburgh, NY which is only about an hour drive?

Another option would be a shuttle service if anyone knows the cost of that and who to contact.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. We want to spend about 10 days driving around Vermont and New Hampshire to see the fall foliage and we are trying to work out the logistics to make it possible.

Billie

i googled it..not sure of the accurancy but i would think close to $200 plus tip...and that's IF you can get someone to take you..

have you checked into Amtrak?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245664917

Yes, and would you believe it is a 3-hour journey by train but only 1 hour by car! It is still an option, however. We also have looked at Greyhound and Trailways and we will also continue to explore shuttles and taxis.

This cruise is not until October, 2013 but we just wanted to be sure it was a feasible idea.

Thanks for your help,

Billie

I highly doubt you'll get a cab driver to take you across the border.

One of the reasons that Amtrak takes three hours is the border crossing, everyone has to be checked by customs and immigration. It's actually a full 75 minutes drive from the port in Montreal to the airport in Plattsburgh where you'd be picking up a rental car. Add in up to an hour sitting at the border waiting to cross (with the meter tick, tick, ticking) and it's roughly the same amount of time. On top of that, the cab driver will most likely demand a double fare for the return trip if he'll take you at all.

Amtrak will be your best bet. That train builds in extra time for customs and immigration, but often arrives early if things go smoothly.

Yes, and would you believe it is a 3-hour journey by train but only 1 hour by car!

Not sure where you got your driving times. I have driven this and with zero traffic leaving Montreal and no wait at the border it would be 1 hour 20 minutes. Realistically though, I would expect it to be almost 2 hours.

Archived