Dawn vs. Pearl

tntornadox

Hey everyone,

I am planning a cruise for January/February of 2013 and my choices have landed between the Pearl and Dawn. Itineraries aside, which would you prefer and why? I know Jewel-class was built off the Dawn/Star platform, but I don't know of many real differences, I would appreciate any input!

We just returned from the Dawn in the Caribbean. We have been on the Dawn twice and the Pearl twice and I would pick the Dawn. Not a single problem, all food venues were great and the service was great!! She was recently was re-furbished and the public areas were nice and the rooms have flat screen TV's.

We were on the Gem first and then on the Dawn, 6 months later. The Gem was so beautiful and had everything you could think of onboard. That being said, I thought I wouldn't like the Dawn as much. However, to my surprise I ended up loving the Dawn. The Dawn is my favorite NCL ship. The ship has a user friendly layout, is in very good condition and has the friendliest crew at sea. TBH, I think each ship in the NCL fleet, although I have not been on all of them, have their special unique characteristics. The Pearl is the Gem's sister ship, so I am sure she is beautiful as well.

I am so excited to hear all these great things about the Dawn, I was worried that because we went on the Epic as our first NCL ship all the rest would not be as good:confused: we really like NCL so we wanted to try a different ship so I was so happy to see this tread:)

My first cruise with my husband was on Dawn's sister ship, Star and we have become addicted to cruising because of that experience. I have a special place in my heart for the Star/Dawn class ships. Having said that...no ship in NCL's fleet will ever live up to the experiences we have had on Epic. We have cruised on Epic twice so far and look forward to going back on her. You started at the top with Epic so it will be difficult not to compare the ships. In my book, Epic will always come out ahead.

I know Jewel-class was built off the Dawn/Star platform, but I don't know of many real differences, I would appreciate any input!

The most actual differences are not so much with class but individual ships. I've been on Pearl and so far (been on 3 of 4 Jewel-class ships) it's my favourite. We are soon going to Star which is Dawn's sister and I'm waiting for it very excited too as there are no major differences in my opinion besides the recent move of Spinnaker lounge on Dawn and Star.

And that brings us to the most important point to me: itinerary. I've grown fond of the Spinnaker lounge as a nice place to sit and enjoy the views during and outside of events in there. Especially if sailing in Alaska or from NYC in winter months, nice inside places are essential to have for the first and last sea days.

On Dawn and Star Spinnaker lounge has been moved from all around windows and great views in deck 12 fwd to a flat, windowless hole in deck 7 aft. I understand the rationale behind the decision and will make up my mind about the change and how it works after I've seen it first hand - but that is a deal breaker for many.

If I had to choose right now between Dawn an Pearl by what I've experienced and read from these boards, I'd go Pearl. :)

You started at the top with Epic so it will be difficult not to compare the ships. In my book, Epic will always come out ahead.

This will be my (and my group's) first NCL cruise and I wanted to book a ship other than Epic for the reason you mentioned! I thought it would be nice to work our way 'up' to Epic and enjoy the ride along the way.

I am excited, it sounds like NCL will be a perfect fit for me. Thanks for the input, everyone!

I have cruised on the Pearl, and my upcoming cruise will be on the Dawn. The Pearl is a lovely ship, and we enjoyed her very much.

Last summer, our cruise on the Jewel, similar to the Pearl was fantastic.

I look forward to our first cruise on the Dawn in June.

We've sailed on the Jade (another of the jewel class ships). I liked the layout of the ship and particularly the thermal suite at the bow for sea days. We are booked on the Dawn this Oct and the Star in Fall 2013 and understand the spa is at the stern of the ship. Both upcoming cruises have cooler weather. We chose the newer suites on deck 12 and are really looking forward to it.

We have had wonderful cruises aboard both Dawn and Pearl.

Each cruise was different, yet the ships are more alike than not.

I prefer the open air eating area at rear of Pearl...this is sorely missing on Dawn.

1 liked the Spinnaker Lounge on the "old" Dawn. Now that it has been changed, this is less of a factor.

Our room stewards on Pearl were exceptional; very friendly, extremely helpful and accommodating. This can be highly variable depending on the particular staff assigned to your cabin.

Wait staff in MDR's on Dawn were indifferent at best. This was especially true in Aqua.

Entertainment on each ship was surprisingly different, yet again each was very good. Dawn seems more "musical," while Pearl had better "action" type acts, i.e., Shark Bait.

We had a great time on each ship, but there is one thing that we always come back to when talking/remembering these cruises...Jose & Patti. Jose & Patti are the best entertainers we have experienced on any cruise. Apples to apples, if I had to choose between these ships, I would pick the one with Jose & Patti.

Archived