library on Royal Caribbean

old skater

We're traveling in a few weeks and just realized the number of books we might have to bring for bedtime. I've read that some cruises have libraries on board, but haven't heard about the quality or quantity of options. We're traveling on Freedom of the Seas (western carib.). What sort of children's options do they have? If the options are poor, would it be reasonable to bring some of our very worn books and just donate them to the library?

We're traveling in a few weeks and just realized the number of books we might have to bring for bedtime. I've read that some cruises have libraries on board, but haven't heard about the quality or quantity of options. We're traveling on Freedom of the Seas (western carib.). What sort of children's options do they have? If the options are poor, would it be reasonable to bring some of our very worn books and just donate them to the library?

I've always found an adequate selection of books in the ships library. Of course it is not as big as your library at home.

Personally I would not take up room in my luggage, especially if flying with the weight restrictions, with books that I was going to just get rid of.

Libraries on ships do have children's books, but not that many, and they encompass YA to picture books. Usually it's just a shelf or two, with double copies of some books.

I haven't looked at the picture books much, but books for ages 8-15 aren't that great in selection or quantity.

Adult options on the Navigator were pretty bad as well. I have never seen such an assortment of weird titles, often in multiples.

I can only think they bought job lots of about to be thrown out books from distributers or something. I wish I had written down the names of some of the out-there, completely unknown, books.

• 1 month later...
Adult options on the Navigator were pretty bad as well. I have never seen such an assortment of weird titles, often in multiples.

I can only think they bought job lots of about to be thrown out books from distributers or something. I wish I had written down the names of some of the out-there, completely unknown, books.

Totally agree. The Oasis was the same way.

Contimplate geting a Nook Color - they have a great selection of picture books (some of them free or 0.99). My 16YO DD has a Nook Color and the little kids she sits for "beg" for bedtime with her Nook -- it's mainly the novelty, but she's got about 45-50 picture books on it (in addition to her "stuff") .

The price of the readers has gone down considerably. You can also get some interesting kids electronic games for on it to keep them occupied at other times. IT is small, fairly light, easy enough to recharge and definately not a "uni tasker".

If you have something like an iPad or a Nook Touch or a Kindle Fire you should check to see if any of your local libraries have digital lending capabilities for children's books. You might be able to "check out" 20 books or so worth of new things to enjoy on the trip. :)

If you have something like an iPad or a Nook Touch or a Kindle Fire you should check to see if any of your local libraries have digital lending capabilities for children's books. You might be able to "check out" 20 books or so worth of new things to enjoy on the trip. :)

I would recommend the Nook COlor too. I have one and besides keeping my books it also has some for my DD. We also have some games that keep her occupied on long car rides, baseball games etc. So much easier than lugging a bunch of books.

Archived