Connoisseur cruise tour on Princess

soccergang

I haven't done that tour. I was in Alaska 12 years ago and we travelled independently. We are returning this June. I looked at the costs of arranging our land portion myself vs. going with a cruisetour - there was no comparison. I am saving many $100's of dollars by doing my own travel planning. It just took a few days reading Fodors, Frommer's, and skimming the Internet. I was a little nervous about not having a car, but there are cabs and shuttles to the various hotels.

Look at www.toursaver.com and www.alaska-discount.com - both have many 2 for 1 specials for hotels, trains, museums, excursions, etc.. The only place we are renting a car is in Fairbanks. Otherwise, we are using trains. As I told my husband (who would have signed us up for a cruisetour if I wasn't watching) - this is the USA. They speak English. They take US currency. And, there are lots of books, cruise critic, and trip advisor for information.

Of course, I realize that some people prefer someone to handle all of the details for them (that's why my husband keeps me around :)!) If you've been to Alaska before, you would have a pretty good idea of what there is and how to do it.

If interested, I can send you my itinerary, but you should decide what you'd like to see and do first.

With any cruisetour selection, I advocate getting ALL the details and figuring out what the facts are. :)

The above mentioned "inclusions" are not of that much value in my opinion. First point, with independent, the Fairbanks tours are frequently available with 2 for 1 purchased coupons- there also is WAY more to Fairbanks than what cruisetours included- if of any interest.

The TWT is decent access into Denali, but again with independent, the shuttle buses may be preferred. This is also an area FAR superior for activities, with your own transportation.

So, take apart the segments, figure out what YOUR priority for touring is, for many it's at least two nights at the Denali Princess. Factor in all transits- Direct to Denali train Denali/Whittier is 10 hours, with the significant scenery the two hour segment Whittier/Anchorage. If meals are included, check out the details, of where you have to go, otherwise budget 50% more then you would at home.

Getting all the facts, your priority for touring, and THEN booking is far easier then trying to fix the wrong cruisetour choice after booking.

I haven't done that tour. I was in Alaska 12 years ago and we travelled independently. We are returning this June. I looked at the costs of arranging our land portion myself vs. going with a cruisetour - there was no comparison. I am saving many $100's of dollars by doing my own travel planning. It just took a few days reading Fodors, Frommer's, and skimming the Internet. I was a little nervous about not having a car, but there are cabs and shuttles to the various hotels.

Look at www.toursaver.com and www.alaska-discount.com - both have many 2 for 1 specials for hotels, trains, museums, excursions, etc.. The only place we are renting a car is in Fairbanks. Otherwise, we are using trains. As I told my husband (who would have signed us up for a cruisetour if I wasn't watching) - this is the USA. They speak English. They take US currency. And, there are lots of books, cruise critic, and trip advisor for information.

Of course, I realize that some people prefer someone to handle all of the details for them (that's why my husband keeps me around :)!) If you've been to Alaska before, you would have a pretty good idea of what there is and how to do it.

If interested, I can send you my itinerary, but you should decide what you'd like to see and do first.

I would appreciate having a copy of your itinerary. Email grandmamt at juno dot com.

Thank you.

Archived