Please help! Wat do I need when I am taking my child's friend along?

Dpeeps

I need to know what I need to bring along as far as any letters or if they need to be certified??? We are sailing with our 2 boys and each is bringing a friend. It gets a little complicated though.....the one's friend is 18. So I wasn't too sure what exactly I needed to bring with him saying that he is allowed to be sailing with us? The other boy is 15, but his mother is also sailing with us but he is going to be going down with us and is actually staying in the cabin with my son. I know we could wait on his family to board the ship but definintely do not want to do that because we do not have any idea when they will be getting there and if we are there much earlier I do not want to hold up all of the people in our party from boarding to wait on his mother. What kind of letter do I need to take with me saying that he is ok with me??

The 18 year old doesn't need permission. If the mother of the 15 year old could board with you, then you don't need a thing....she may need a letter stating that the father is ok with the trip!

She could always fill out the notarized form allowing her child to sail with you...simply for boarding purposes. Once onboard, no one cares who sleeps where or in which cabin...none of that matters at all.

The 18 year old doesn't need permission. If the mother of the 15 year old could board with you, then you don't need a thing....she may need a letter stating that the father is ok with the trip!

She could always fill out the notarized form allowing her child to sail with you...simply for boarding purposes. Once onboard, no one cares who sleeps where or in which cabin...none of that matters at all.

Thanks sooo much for the info! Silly question....but I forget....where is it that I get that notarized form? I am sure I used it when we took wour daughters friend along but that was a few years ago and my mind slips me! :eek: and we won't have to worry about a letter from a father because this boy was adopted by this lady who is a single mother! ;)

Regarding the boy who was adopted by a single mother... you know that, the boy knows that, the mom knows that -- but RCI doesn't and probably can't just take your word for it. They may require proof that the boy has no father to obtain permission from. Adoption papers? Better call RCI and ask.

As for the 15 year old boarding with you, you'll need a notarized letter of permission from his mother, along with whatever proof RCI wants for the no father situation. Sorry, can't tell you where to find a specific form from (try searching the RCI website). As a divorced mother of two, I always typed my own and sent it to the boys dad to sign before a notary public, then he'd send it back to me. It's been a few years since I've had to do that, maybe they do require a special form now.

As someone else already said, no permission needed for the 18 year old but he must be traveling with someone over 25 (I think that's the age requirement). I don't believe that person has to be in the same room, just on the sailing with him, assuming responsibility for him. You should have no problem with that one.

Thanks sooo much for the info! Silly question....but I forget....where is it that I get that notarized form? I am sure I used it when we took wour daughters friend along but that was a few years ago and my mind slips me! :eek: and we won't have to worry about a letter from a father because this boy was adopted by this lady who is a single mother! ;)

The standard form itself isn't notarized until you take it to a notary public. Use google to find a boilerplate copy of a standard form and then fill in the blanks or re-type with the applicable info. Then go to any notary public to have it notarized. You will need to show your picture ID to the notary and sign the form in front of him/her. Frequently, someone at your local branch bank will be a notary, or ask friends/neighbors/colleagues.... someone is bound to know a notary.

Archived