Monarch - Any Opinions?

We are thinking about doing the 4 night cruise on the Monarch this summer with our 2 girls, ages 3 and 8. Just a little background...we went on the Monarch (Southern Caribbean) back in 1999 for our honeymoon. We've since been on other RC ships (Adventure, Grandeur), Carnival, NCL, and Disney. DH says Monarch is still one of his favorite ships (he doesn't really like the new mega-ships) but I'm concerned that Monarch will seem dated and that the amenities will be less than impressive.

Case in point - on the day at sea, I imagine 2400 people all trying to swim in 2 small pools! Other older ships (like Carnival) have a waterslide and a kids splash area, so it seems like more places for people to spread out to, but honestly, Carnival isn't the experience we're going for.

I've also read some mediocre reviews about the food. And the cabins sound tiny!

I know she's an older ship and designed for shorter getaways, so I feel like I know what to expect and I think we'll have fun no matter what, but I still want it to be a great cruising experience. We only live about 2 hours from the port and the kids will be out of school, so it's a great "match" for us, but I'm just not 100% sure about it! Just looking for a little nudge ;)

Thanks!

I might not have the appropriate 'nudge', but my family and I (all 9 of us :eek:) will be doing the 4 night out of Port Canaveral on May - our first RCCL cruise. We booked 4 cat I rooms (nice to see the sun - but cheaper than a JS - althrough the rooms look TEENIE-TINY).

We've been on other lines and haven't had any troubles (with the exception of Carnival!) I would think that there would be enough of a mix of people that not all of them will be at the pool at the same time - besides, you'll have a day at Coco Cay (beach) then on to Nassau (beach), so many may wish to stay out of the sun on that last at sea day anyway - you'll have the pool all to yourself!! (not really - but it sounded good, huh??)

I say, bite the bullet and go for it! :)

there are many current reviews of the monarch on here. Many with photos.

for the value and the service, Monarch is a great buy. My wife and I had an ocean view for her birthday in April last year, and we loved it. We live about an hour from the port and the 3 night felt longer because we actually relaxed and had a great time. The rooms are not that small at all. yes its an older ship, but remember Sovereign class was at one time the largest in the world, and they keep the ship very clean.

The food was great, btw, and the service even better. There are many Monarch loyalists on this board that will defend her till she is sold! (2013/2014)? Majesty just got new carpet, so even those these are tired girls, they get lifts every now and again...

If you time it right you can get killer deals! We will be back on Monarch!

The cabins ARE teensy....you may want to consider 2 connecting cabins....one for the adults....one for the kids....We were in a SUPERIOR (so they said!) OV and only 1 of us could stand and walk at a time...I can't imagine 4 in one cabin. Not even for 4 days!

That said, there's still plenty to do...and you will have port stops. Your kids aren't old enough to need all the "bells and whistles"...they'll have fun, too!

The cabins ARE teensy....you may want to consider 2 connecting cabins....one for the adults....one for the kids....We were in a SUPERIOR (so they said!) OV and only 1 of us could stand and walk at a time...I can't imagine 4 in one cabin. Not even for 4 days!

That said, there's still plenty to do...and you will have port stops. Your kids aren't old enough to need all the "bells and whistles"...they'll have fun, too!

I had a superior OV as well and my wife and I had no problems. for 3 or 4 nights, you can pack very light, especially this time of year and in the summer. Again, great crew and fantastic experience. I've been on Freedom class and found the lack of promenade and flow rider, etc to not be a big deal at all. good crowd flow.

....We were in a SUPERIOR (so they said!) OV and only 1 of us could stand and walk at a time...

The deck 9 SOV's are 157 square feet on Monarch and Majesty........While that isnt a lot, I have a hard time believing only one person could stand and walk at a time? :confused:

Just doing a little research here..........here are great pics of the SOV on deck 9. While not huge by any means, looks like plenty of room for just two people!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30632741&postcount=16

We have cruised Monarch many times and have another scheduled for July. We love her for just relaxing and unwinding. Yes the rooms are smaller than Freedom class but still ok. We have done 4 in an oceanview and it was ok. A little crowded when trying to get ready for dinner. We usually did that in shifts. We have had a OV on deck 8 over Boleros once and the noise was minimal in my opinion. We do not go to bed until late and I guess I am so tired I could sleep through anything( usually I am a very light sleeper). The food is the same on all RCCL ships. Servive on Monarcg has always been great. For the price I do not thank you can beat it. Enjoy your cruise.

My experience has been that, the smaller the ship, the better the crew. Monarch has one of the best in the fleet - always ready to help out, cheerful, even happy (or really great actors). It's like coming home (although I don't have a cook, housekeeper, bartender and cruise director staff at home) every time I set foot on her.

The food was great, btw, and the service even better. There are many Monarch loyalists on this board that will defend her till she is sold! (2013/2014)? Majesty just got new carpet, so even those these are tired girls, they get lifts every now and again...

If you time it right you can get killer deals! We will be back on Monarch!

Count me as one! I hope to be back on her before she leaves the fleet, whenever that may be. I though I had done all my crying when she left the West Coast, but there may be a few sentimental tears left for that occasion.:(

Just a quick question for those who have been there......we are on deck 8 (OV) and over the Boleros Lounge. Will we encounter a lot of noise at night?

If they have a band playing, you will hear it. Some people find it very bothersome; others don't mind it much.

Monarch-bound next week for the third time! Nice ship, well-kept, good service, fun time, great price.

The regular staterooms really are tiny at about 120 sq. ft; we had those twice on the Sovereign, same class of ship. Think walk-in closet. We've had a superior ocean view both times on the Monarch, at 157 sq. ft. I prefer that size, but am not willing to pay much more for it. This trip, we'll be inside on deck 5. I have warned the newbies traveling with us!

Other than that, my only other problem would be that there are only two small hot tubs for all those people. Nearly impossible to get some time in those. But overall, I love the Monarch and will sail again as long as RCI keeps offering those great rates. Perfect little getaway for us, living only 73 minutes from the port, door to door! :)

just got off Monarch last week - sister ship to Majesty. After being in an inside and smaller outside cabin on these ships - we will do the SOV on deck 9 every time. The previous pictures give a great idea of the difference in space. The TV is flatscreen on this deck as well as having a safe (if that's important)

Thank you ALL for the help! I'm so glad to hear so many people have been pleased with the Monarch. We went ahead and booked today!

Even though we could said literally ANY week during the summer break, the last possible week we could go was the only sailing that had availabilty for an oceanview (I think the kids will like the window), so we had to take what we could get as far as cabins go. I think the kids are small enough that space won't be a huge issue (at least for 4 nights) and I'll keep an eye out in case anything opens up between now and then.

I'm excited! Thanks again for the help!

We also sailed her in 1999 for our honeymoon cruise out of San Juan Southern Caribbean!! We still remember our awe when we stepped onboard! We have been toying with the idea of sailing her again.....after reading through here, we just may!!!! Happy sailing!!! :D

Having only one cruise under our belt, I'm afraid I don't have any way to compare Monarch to the larger ships. (we will after NEXT January though woohoo!) :D

However, I don't believe you'll be disappointed with Monarch. Having been on the newer, larger ships, I have no doubt that if you pay attention, you'll notice some of the age and you certainly notice some differences in space.

But, my parents, as well as my brother and his wife, sailed with us last January, and they have a combined couple dozen cruises between them. On several other ships, including a couple other cruise lines. And, none of them have a single complaint about Monarch's size or age. Sure, they noticed the differences between Monarch and, say, Liberty of The Seas, but, their take was..."We're on a cruise".

I guess that means that they just didn't focus on the differences. They just enjoyed Monarch for what it has to offer.

My own personal opinion about Monarch is that 4 days is just about perfect. Monarch and ports of call have just enough going for them to keep one busy and never wanting for more. Yet, small enough to never seem too crowded. As I pointed out in another thread recently, one of the really cool things about Monarch is that it DOESN'T have 4000 people. What that means for you, the passenger, is that Monarch doesn't dump 4000 people onto Cococay. Just enough crowd to give you some company on the island, yet, thin enough to let you have some of that "private island" feel.

For what it's worth. While the pool water was entirely too cold for my aging bones,(January) the Mrs. never had any trouble finding some room for a dip in one of the two pools.

The hot tubs? Yea, tiny-tiny. The only time we found access was after midnight But, we found we enjoy roaming the ship that hour anyway.

The staterooms are incredibly tiny. But, they serve their purpose. We had a standard OV on deck 6. Just under the jogging track. We heard the occasional thumpity thump go by from a jogger above us, but, it was never a big deal.

The Monarch is wonderful, clean, easy to navigate, the inside cabins are small (did 3 teenage girls and myself 2 years ago, call me crazy we had a blast) but how long are you in you're cabin for except to sleep, which btw have such comfy beds you really hate to get up and get going. Food, staff in all areas are really nice. We have cruised on some larger ships with similar port visits and the first time we cruised on the Monarch we have been back on her the last 3 years in row and going again in 31 days. Happy cruising what ever you choose;)

The staterooms are incredibly tiny. But, they serve their purpose. We had a standard OV on deck 6. Just under the jogging track. We heard the occasional thumpity thump go by from a jogger above us, but, it was never a big deal.

We just got off the ship yesterday. I loved the staff..everyone was wonderful...not one problem. Food - as usual, not great but good.

HOWEVER, for all the research I do, I didn't realize the OV on deck 6 was under the jogging track. Never again. For us it was constant banging from the running and then at 4 in the morning, the scraping and dragging of loungers being repositioned by staff. It was awful. I always try to book a cabin on a deck that has cabins above and below. I'll know better next time.:(

....all that said, is there really anything awful about being away from the everyday, on a ship, at sea, visiting different ports??? ...not really! :)

We once did a balcony on HAL that was just under the Lido deck pool. the location was great, but there was a lot of lounge chair moving noise in the early hours. Friends of ours had a balcony overlooking the back and were amazed at the amount of trash that ended up on their balcony!

We are on deck 8 thus above Boleros Lounge. I've wondered about noise from that, but if we upgrade to a JC, we're back under the pool area. Currently thinking about a SOV on deck 9.

Archived