Our 1st Balcony cabin!

We have been on several cruises before but this is our first time in a balcony!:D Is there anything I should know? I saw a post once that said to tie a windsock to the rail so you can see your cabin from shore. Any other fun/informative information or suggestions??

Depending on deck and location on Radiance class like Serenade the lifeboat cover can block view. Higher up the better except that forward and aft of the cover the balconies on that deck are extended a bit. Note that standard D & E cat balconies are not real large so just enough room for two chairs and small (paper plate sized) table.

One note for balcony - do find the light switch that operates the light out on the balcony and as a courtesy to neighbors have it off when not needing it. One of the most magical experiences we have had on a cruise was sitting out there in the wee hours sipping a nightcap and looking at the stars. This works much better when lights are off. Prior cruises had been Alaska and North Atlantic so too cold.

Another suggestion - keep balcony door closed so it does not affect the air movement of the cooling system in the cabin. This is most often noticed if balcony is open and door to hallway is opened causing a wind tunnel effect.

Port days - balcony can make a great place to watch for (and raz) "runners" if your side is to the pier. Great fun - just don't be "one of those people."

Never been in anything other than a balcony, well did travel once from Stockholm to Tallin in an outside cabin (balcony would be a little chilly in the Baltic winter time.)

You will love having a balcony, not sure about the wind sock though! Not as if your going to board the ship by climbing up the outside....:D

You don't need a bungee cord, and you really can't hear anything but wind unless you are ON the balcony! Leaving the balcony door open does affect other cabin's A/C, so keep that in mind!

Don't leave anything on the balcony that could blow overboard...it does get windy!

Also disagree about the windsock; it could come loose and fly away, thus polluting the ocean and RCI is very conscious about their "Save the Waves" program.

Enjoy your balcony! We always book an ocean balcony cabin now - it feels like an "extention" of the room and is perfect for those who might have, well, claustrophobia issues. :)

Also disagree about the windsock; it could come loose and fly away, thus polluting the ocean and RCI is very conscious about their "Save the Waves" program.

Enjoy your balcony! We always book an ocean balcony cabin now - it feels like an "extention" of the room and is perfect for those who might have, well, claustrophobia issues. :)

My wife gets claustrophobic, but fortunately an oceanview is sufficient for her. We get a balcony if it's around $100-$150 more per person than the oceanview price.

After the millions of dollars they had to pay years ago, they don't have much of a choice other than to be serious about it. Such a shame that it took that type of action to get cruise companies serious about keeping the oceans clean......:(

More importantly, it's a fire risk, people do smoke on their balconies and a stray ash or tossed butt ( also never allowed! But sadly happens:() could ignite anything on the balcony that is not " standard issue". Our rule is if it wasn't on there when we arrived, it comes off when we are not sitting on the balcony.

I agree with the others, treat yourself to at least coffee and maybe breakfast on your balcony on port days, it's delightful!

Realize that it is not as " private " as you think; while people might have the illusion of privacy due due to not being seen, you can be heard very easily. ;)

Thanks for all the good info. We are travelling with our kids so...........we won't be joining the "balcony club" !! :rolleyes:

We will for sure keep our eyes out for runners late for the ship!

I love the idea of ordering breakfast/coffee early and watch the ship pull into the ports. We are in Las Vegas (bright lights in our city) so we really don't get to see many stars (the sky ones anyway) so this will be a HUGE plus.

Thanks for all the good info. We are travelling with our kids so...........we won't be joining the "balcony club" !! :rolleyes:

We will for sure keep our eyes out for runners late for the ship!

I love the idea of ordering breakfast/coffee early and watch the ship pull into the ports. We are in Las Vegas (bright lights in our city) so we really don't get to see many stars (the sky ones anyway) so this will be a HUGE plus.

Hi Happy Campers

This is our 1st time we are on a balcony also , thank you I have been reading your info , We will be on the Rhapsody of the Seas in September sailing Honolulu to Sydney , How often can you order breakfast,is it only when you are in port ,and do you tick what you would like them to bring is that extra cost,Also can you wash like a top and put it on the balcony to dry,or will I loose the top .as it is a 19days cruise .

Hi Happy Campers

This is our 1st time we are on a balcony also , thank you I have been reading your info , We will be on the Rhapsody of the Seas in September sailing Honolulu to Sydney , How often can you order breakfast,is it only when you are in port ,and do you tick what you would like them to bring is that extra cost,Also can you wash like a top and put it on the balcony to dry,or will I loose the top .as it is a 19days cruise .

Order breakfast any day or everyday (except maybe last morning when you get off). But as I had noted the table on balcony is tiny. But usually big enough to balance serving tray so if careful it is big enough to serve as low table for two. There is a card in the room for ordering that you hang on door night before. Most cold items like cereals, rolls, etc.. but some hot items too I believe. We usually just get juice, rolls and coffee as a starter before a later real breakfast. No extra cost unless extra charge beverages are requested.

We bring small industrial strength wood clamps (clothes pins on steroids) to clamp items to chairs for drying. But only while we are in cabin or on balcony where we keep watch. We avoid cotton (dries too slow) and travel mostly with polyester microfiber items that dry in minutes.

Order breakfast any day or everyday (except maybe last morning when you get off). But as I had noted the table on balcony is tiny. But usually big enough to balance serving tray so if careful it is big enough to serve as low table for two.

Yes like we would do each morning!

133.jpg

Hi Happy Campers

We'll be on the same cruise. Also our 1st time on a balcony :) Very much looking forward to it.

Archived