Holiday Inn Port of Miami

Steve8

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami last week and I wanted to share my thoughts. I really found it amazing reading all of the reviews on this place that were so far on the end of both spectrums.

First - Cost. For all of those that say it is way overpriced and you should stay at the Intercontinental it is much cheaper, don't know that for sure. I'm sure the Intercontinental is often cheaper and yes it is cheaper on Last Minute Travel. But that is not the case ALL of the time. It would have cost over $100 more a night to stay at the Intercontinental. The first Saturday in March is just a little different in cost than a Wednesday in July in Miami. I took my chances on the Holiday Inn.

Second - Service. We were greeted very warmly as soon as we got out of the cab. All of the staff were wonderful.

Third - Location. I think it is at a perfect location. We got there early so the rooms were not ready yet. We checked the bags and walked just a few yards to the Bayside Market Place. We had lunch and walked around a little bit and by that time the rooms were ready. We checked into our rooms then went to CVS to pick up last minute drinks. Later on we went back to Bayside for dinner and drinks. The next morning we got breakfast from Bayside. We never had to walk more than two blocks from the hotel for all of that. We had a view of the port and a taxi cost of less than $10 to get to the port. That is a prefect location in my opinion.

Fourth - Rooms. There is absolutely nothing great about the rooms. They were not big, they were not fancy, and they had no extras. They did work great for four people to sleep and shower in and they were clean. If you want more, you will be disappointed. If this is all you are looking for you will be satisfied.

Last - Others. The reviews are right, the pool is boring. But it was also just fine. I read the elevators are slow. The funny part to me was when my daughter said "these elevators are really fast".

Finally - The best test for a recommendation to me is - would you stay there again. Absolutely! Would I check to see if the Intercontinental is cheaper before I book - also absolutely. But next time for me there will be no hesitation in booking the Holiday Inn POM.

I would be happy to answer any questions if I didn't cover anything.

Hi Steve- that was my experience as well when I stayed there for one night prior to my cruise.

I liked the fact that it was so close to the Port of Miami and Bayside.

Also went to CVS for a few things and Ross, which is almost across the street. Was not looking for anything in particular but ended buying another bathing suit!

I would stay there again because of its convenience to just about everything. After all...its only for one night. Happy Cruising everyone.. :)

Totally agree with your critique. I never quite understand the superlatives ( worst, ugliest, poorest, unfriendliest etc) from others when describing the cons of this hotel. It is a Holiday Inn. Not a Ritz. It is a prime location for one night precruise. Demand is high allowing for a higher rate than some other hotels of the same level.

How were the prices at CVS? We will need to pick up some water, soda and wine before our cruise.

I can't say that I really remember the prices. I don't remember being surprised either way. I will say that the selections are limited and there wasn't a real lot of choices but we managed just fine.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami last week and I wanted to share my thoughts. I really found it amazing reading all of the reviews on this place that were so far on the end of both spectrums.

First - Cost. For all of those that say it is way overpriced and you should stay at the Intercontinental it is much cheaper, don't know that for sure. I'm sure the Intercontinental is often cheaper and yes it is cheaper on Last Minute Travel. But that is not the case ALL of the time. It would have cost over $100 more a night to stay at the Intercontinental. The first Saturday in March is just a little different in cost than a Wednesday in July in Miami. I took my chances on the Holiday Inn.

Second - Service. We were greeted very warmly as soon as we got out of the cab. All of the staff were wonderful.

Third - Location. I think it is at a perfect location. We got there early so the rooms were not ready yet. We checked the bags and walked just a few yards to the Bayside Market Place. We had lunch and walked around a little bit and by that time the rooms were ready. We checked into our rooms then went to CVS to pick up last minute drinks. Later on we went back to Bayside for dinner and drinks. The next morning we got breakfast from Bayside. We never had to walk more than two blocks from the hotel for all of that. We had a view of the port and a taxi cost of less than $10 to get to the port. That is a prefect location in my opinion.

Fourth - Rooms. There is absolutely nothing great about the rooms. They were not big, they were not fancy, and they had no extras. They did work great for four people to sleep and shower in and they were clean. If you want more, you will be disappointed. If this is all you are looking for you will be satisfied.

Last - Others. The reviews are right, the pool is boring. But it was also just fine. I read the elevators are slow. The funny part to me was when my daughter said "these elevators are really fast".

Finally - The best test for a recommendation to me is - would you stay there again. Absolutely! Would I check to see if the Intercontinental is cheaper before I book - also absolutely. But next time for me there will be no hesitation in booking the Holiday Inn POM.

Putting Holiday Inn the same sentence as the Intercontinental should land you jail time lol :D Its like Picking a Hot dog over a Filet Mignon there not even in the same League. Pay the Extra Money. The Holiday Inn POM is a dump Id sleep in my Car frist Before that place. But hey thats just My Opinion.:D

Ps; A 2 night Stay Late April At the Intercontinental is running me 179 a night Harbor view... Just look around on the Discount Sites you'll find deals and dont pay the 125 or more for the Hoilday Inn Pom..

Putting Holiday Inn the same sentence as the Intercontinental should land you jail time lol :D Its like Picking a Hot dog over a Filet Mignon there not even in the same League. Pay the Extra Money. The Holiday Inn POM is a dump Id sleep in my Car frist Before that place. But hey thats just My Opinion.:D

Ps; A 2 night Stay Late April At the Intercontinental is running me 179 a night Harbor view... Just look around on the Discount Sites you'll find deals and dont pay the 125 or more for the Hoilday Inn Pom..

I totaly agree. The Intercontinental is an signature property, the HI is just...and HI in a good location. Now, it the Intercontinental was twice as much as the HI, I would maybe thing of staying at the HI. But it the cost was even CLOSE to each other, I pick the Intercontinental EVERY time.

And all of the post that I read like this one was the exact reason I posted mine. If you are a like the last two posters and have that strong feelings about where you stay and aren't worried about paying a lot more money, you should definitely at the Intercontinental. And if you are like me and are just looking for a room like I described you will be just fine at the Holiday Inn.

Thanks for proving my point.

I agree as I have stayed here prior to a Cruise...and will stay again next year prior to our cruise..we are only spending one night here....love the Bayside being right across the street.

How were the prices at CVS? We will need to pick up some water, soda and wine before our cruise.

The morning of our cruise, we walked down here and picked up water, soda & wine.....

Also some other last minute things needed for the cruise, we also picked up a few Miami Souvenirs here that the kids gave away to there friends...

Worth the trip there and will do it again prior to our cruise.

And all of the post that I read like this one was the exact reason I posted mine. If you are a like the last two posters and have that strong feelings about where you stay and aren't worried about paying a lot more money, you should definitely at the Intercontinental. And if you are like me and are just looking for a room like I described you will be just fine at the Holiday Inn.

Thanks for proving my point.

Just wondering, have you stayed at the IC?

Thanks for the review. We are using points to get a free night in NOvember before our Epic cruise, and the cruise critic bunch is going to eat together at Mambos in Bayside Market, take a joint bus to the port, and generally try to be the first group on the ship!

Is it hard to cross the street to Bayside?

Did you use the free People Mover bus? ThANks

Thanks for the review. We are using points to get a free night in NOvember before our Epic cruise, and the cruise critic bunch is going to eat together at Mambos in Bayside Market, take a joint bus to the port, and generally try to be the first group on the ship!

We've been happy with Mambos in the past. Nice spread. A joint bus? I thought they only had those in Jamaica!;)

If you mean from the Holiday Inn....No not hard to cross the street, there is a light on the corner at the hotel. My wife has a bad hip and she was able to cross..

Not sure what the People mover is?

Day of departure...I got up early, grabbed a cup of coffee and walked over to the Market and watched the cruise ships come in between 5 & 7 am......went up on the 2nd floor of the Market...had a good vantage point.

It was crazy there was a band rehearsing there I guess to play that night.

Listening to Music in Miami watching all the ships come down, turn in the Basin and dock.....

Pretty neat...

I've stayed at both hotels. IC is a typical business type hotel. I've stayed in better, and worse. HI POM is a Holiday Inn. Again, I've stayed in better and stayed in worse. Locations are equal.

If there was more than a $30 difference, I'd go with the lower cost one. If less than that, I'd choose the IC.

Remember, most cruisers staying at either, are there for one night precruise. They aren't really looking for amenities inside the hotel. They are out and about starting their vacation on arrival. So if one chooses to rest their head at whichever of the two will save them money, it won't be a big disaster.

Depending on time of year and the date and site booking, one can get the IC for close to and even less than HI. Just check the options.

Steve8 is right on in his critique and comments.;)

I've stayed at both hotels. IC is a typical business type hotel. I've stayed in better, and worse. HI POM is a Holiday Inn. Again, I've stayed in better and stayed in worse. Locations are equal.

If there was more than a $30 difference, I'd go with the lower cost one. If less than that, I'd choose the IC.

Remember, most cruisers staying at either, are there for one night precruise. They aren't really looking for amenities inside the hotel. They are out and about starting their vacation on arrival. So if one chooses to rest their head at whichever of the two will save them money, it won't be a big disaster.

Depending on time of year and the date and site booking, one can get the IC for close to and even less than HI. Just check the options.

I don't disagree with you. I was commenting on the quote of paying much more for the IC. I agree, if the IC was $189 and HI was $109, I might consider HI. But if they were the same price (which they often are), I can't imagine anyone chosing the HI.

I guess to me its where i feel ok to let my Family lay there Heads...Like i said before to me the Hoilday Inn at the Port is a dump. Ive seen people Posting Hoilday inn costing as much as 150 a night YUCK.At a discount Site you can get IC at 179 or lower. I guess some people like KIA AND Some like Ferrari why pay for a Kia when you can get The Ferrari for a few bucks more.Your on Vaction treat yourselfs lol:D

Not sure what the People mover is?

Its the automated elevated train (free) that circulates downtown and Brickell. Locally its called the MetroMover or just "the Mover".. Its use is up to debate on this board, I ride it daily with no problems. There is a station just behind the HI.

Yogi

No I have not. Like I said I would love to stay there but not for a lot more money. It was over $100 more to stay at IC for us. It wasn't worth that much to us. If it were the same cost or even just a little more I would be happy to stay there.

Well said!

Archived