Downside to Aqua

rafinmd

I was looking at possible upgrades to my cave for my Solstice TA and was surprised to see that my rates were about $300 more for a plain verandah cabin than for Aqua. I thought Aqua was a verandah cabin with some extra perks. What am I missing?

Roy

I was looking at possible upgrades to my cave for my Solstice TA and was surprised to see that my rates were about $300 more for a plain verandah cabin than for Aqua. I thought Aqua was a verandah cabin with some extra perks. What am I missing?

Roy

If you wait too long you will miss the opportunity to upgrade to AQ!!

I have seen AQs temporarily priced below other balcony cabins. I have sailed in AQ 6 times and that is my all time favorite category...especially dining in Blu. :D

Hi Rafinmd,

They indeed are considered to be the "high end" of the Veranda Class Staterooms... with an assortment of extra perks... could be that they just haven't been selling as Celebrity has hoped on this sailing... so they've lowered the price.

Cheers!

Roy

Hi Roy,

Most Celebrity guests consider Aqua Class, the top of the line for non-suite, veranda cabins - mostly due to the separate dining venue in BLU.

On occasion, Aqua Class can be less expensive than lower categories, it's somewhat rare, but it happens... especially as it gets close to sailing date. The same thing happens, when folks ask "why is Concierge Class less than my Cat 2A ?". The bottom line is, every Cruise line wants the ship to sail full, and will adjust their pricing, depending upon how may cabins remain. On your sailing, it's likely there are a number of Aqua Class cabins are available, and that's why the pricing is lower than other categories.

On another note, Transatlantic sailings are not the most popular, so that could be factoring into the low pricing as well.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

There are many advantages and perks to aqua....there is only one disadvantage that I've found....cabin location. On the m class, the aqua cabins are below public areas and many have a very large overhang blocking the sky. On Solstice class, you just have to watch what is above and below your cabin....some again...directly under the gym or under the pool deck can be noisy.

We are booked aqua on our next four cruises....

There are many advantages and perks to aqua....there is only one disadvantage that I've found....cabin location. On the m class, the aqua cabins are below public areas and many have a very large overhang blocking the sky. On Solstice class, you just have to watch what is above and below your cabin....some again...directly under the gym or under the pool deck can be noisy.

We are booked aqua on our next four cruises....

Agree but there is one other disadvantage and that is that some people just don't like Blu. I personally found it fantastic but many who come on this board don't like it.

Hi Roy,

Most Celebrity guests consider Aqua Class, the top of the line for non-suite, veranda cabins - mostly due to the separate dining venue in BLU.

On occasion, Aqua Class can be less expensive than lower categories, it's somewhat rare, but it happens... especially as it gets close to sailing date. The same thing happens, when folks ask "why is Concierge Class less than my Cat 2A ?". The bottom line is, every Cruise line wants the ship to sail full, and will adjust their pricing, depending upon how may cabins remain. On your sailing, it's likely there are a number of Aqua Class cabins are available, and that's why the pricing is lower than other categories.

On another note, Transatlantic sailings are not the most popular, so that could be factoring into the low pricing as well.

Andy:

When you said "Transatlantic sailings are not the most popular". Do you mean TA is not popular or AQ class cabin is not popular on TA sailing?

Ricky

Hi Roy,

SORRY DUPLICATED, WASN'T ABLE TO DELETE IT.

Andy:

When you said "Transatlantic sailings are not the most popular". Do you mean TA sailing is not popular or AQ class cabin is not popular on TA sailing?

Ricky

We have sailed in AQ twice in the past year and are on the Eclipse T/A next month. Booked it on a Tuesday Special a couple of weeks ago. It is the least expensive of all three, and they were 10 and 12 nighters. Also less than all CC. Can't wait to eat in Blu again.......

SORRY DUPLICATED, WASN'T ABLE TO DELETE IT.

Andy:

When you said "Transatlantic sailings are not the most popular". Do you mean TA sailing is not popular or AQ class cabin is not popular on TA sailing?

Ricky

Not Andy, but I think TA in general is not the most popular. Cruise lines in general (except QM2) do not do TA to make money, they do them because they need the ship in the Caribbean in the winter and in Europe in the winter. They are not looking to make money, they are just selling them to recover a part of their costs in getting the ship to the other side of the pond.

In my present inside cabin I am paying something like $105 per day solo for the crossing, but it's still better for Celebrity than sailing with 1500 empty cabins. TA's are not for everyone but they are a great value, especially for people who love sea days. I also use them as a common yardstick for comparing cruise lines, having now sailed TA on Cunard, Crystal, HAL, Windstar, a freighter, and soon Celebrity.

Demand is also light compared to supply because there are a lot of ships sailing TA at very nearly the same time.

Thanks to all who have given me information.

Roy

I booked AQ for the first time in January. I am a fan. The single supplement makes cruising AQ expensive. The Tuesday special came to the rescue. 150% for us single peeps,...upgrade .

Blu is a restaurant, that's why I like it. The MDR, is mass banquet food...not terrible, but not restaurant quality. I remember the time that I showed up for a glass of wine, and a bowl of gazpacho...the wine was stale, and the soup was flavorless and salty.

The MDR does has atmosphere.....even if the food sux...

We have sailed in AQ twice in the past year and are on the Eclipse T/A next month. Booked it on a Tuesday Special a couple of weeks ago. It is the least expensive of all three, and they were 10 and 12 nighters. Also less than all CC. Can't wait to eat in Blu again.......

Have you been over to join our roll call for this cruise? We have lots of fun things planned! Come over and say hi!

Agree but there is one other disadvantage and that is that some people just don't like Blu. I personally found it fantastic but many who come on this board don't like it.

But as an AQ passenger, you always still have the option to order off the MDR menu while dining in Blu, correct? Or is it that some people simply dislike the decor/ambience of Blu?

But as an AQ passenger, you always still have the option to order off the MDR menu while dining in Blu, correct? Or is it that some people simply dislike the decor/ambience of Blu?

Yes you do have the option on a space available basis. I just wanted to point out that some people don't like Blu..

Yes you do have the option on a space available basis. I just wanted to point out that some people don't like Blu..

I think others have pointed out that this isn't true...they have there own menu (unless you mean actually dining in the MDR...that IS an available option on space available basis). Although they did offer(and we gladly accepted) to get my son an item that wasn't on their menu for the last 2 nights on our trip.

We loved Blu on Solstice last month.

To OP the rooms are the same size as other balconies...the rooms in the "back half" of the ship are below other rooms, the ones to the front are under pool/gym/spa areas...although on TA cruise not sure how busy the pool area is?

On our cruise I talked to the elite hostess and she said that there would be over 500 elite members on the TA.

You also get free bottled water in room...for some that is a big benefit...we went through 6 bottles a day average.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi, I get the feeling that most people like AQ because " Blu" is elitist, & special. If Blu was open to all just like the MDR, would you still want to pay more for it (I know there is also free access to other places that are nice & the water, juice, ect). It is unfortunate that all the environments on the ship could not be as calming as the Relaxation room, without all the noise from speaker music. Sorry, off topic. What would you do if you traveled with friends & you really liked Blu, but they could not eat dinner with you ( or can they since you can)? Is Blu open to all for breakfast or lunch, then maybe dinner on your own would not be so bad. What makes the food in Blu so special? Thanks.

Hi, I get the feeling that most people like AQ because " Blu" is elitist, & special. If Blu was open to all just like the MDR, would you still want to pay more for it (I know there is also free access to other places that are nice & the water, juice, ect). It is unfortunate that all the environments on the ship could not be as calming as the Relaxation room, without all the noise from speaker music. Sorry, off topic. What would you do if you traveled with friends & you really liked Blu, but they could not eat dinner with you ( or can they since you can)? Is Blu open to all for breakfast or lunch, then maybe dinner on your own would not be so bad. What makes the food in Blu so special? Thanks.

Defintely not elitist, it is set up as healthy choices not anything monetary. The food in Blu is like going to a specialty restaurant, it is more cooked to order and I found the portions to be bigger, some disagree on that. The environment in Blu is more intimate as it is a smaller location. I compare Blu and the Specialty restaurants to dining in the MDR of Celebrity in the early 90s.

I disagree with you on the relaxation room, on my two cruises in AQ, it was not necessarily quiet as the people at the desk didn't enforce their own rules. It is also the waiting room for spa appointments however I also found that anyone could go into the room. Another one of Celebrity's superficial benefits.

Breakfast in Blu is only for AQ and suite passengers. It is not open for lunch.

Blu is only for AQ passengers however they allow suite passengers on a space available basis, breakfast is free for suite passengers and $5.00pp for dinner. If you are traveling with friends and they are not AQ or suite passengers, they cannot eat with you in Blu. They are very strict about this.

I think others have pointed out that this isn't true...they have there own menu (unless you mean actually dining in the MDR...that IS an available option on space available basis). Although they did offer(and we gladly accepted) to get my son an item that wasn't on their menu for the last 2 nights on our trip.

We loved Blu on Solstice last month.

To OP the rooms are the same size as other balconies...the rooms in the "back half" of the ship are below other rooms, the ones to the front are under pool/gym/spa areas...although on TA cruise not sure how busy the pool area is?

On our cruise I talked to the elite hostess and she said that there would be over 500 elite members on the TA.

You also get free bottled water in room...for some that is a big benefit...we went through 6 bottles a day average.

Enjoy your trip.

There have been varying reports on whether you can order off the MDR menu, on some ships you can and others you cant, they were doing that on a regular basis however appear to be getting away from it.

In any event, I misread the original posting, thinking that he was asking if you could eat in the MDR, thats why I said on a space available basis...

There have been varying reports on whether you can order off the MDR menu, on some ships you can and others you cant, they were doing that on a regular basis however appear to be getting away from it.

In any event, I misread the original posting, thinking that he was asking if you could eat in the MDR, thats why I said on a space available basis...

Thanks. Perhaps I'll post a thread asking whether any recent AQ passengers on my specific ship have any feedback about this issue.

:)

When we were planning our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Millennium the AQ rooms were cheaper than the CC rooms and also had the extra perk of Persian Garden access. We declined the AQ rooms because of location and decided to spend more money to get on deck 8 mid-ship.

Many who come on this board do not like anything:cool:

The Critic part of Cruise Critic is often taken too much to heart.

Not Andy, but I think TA in general is not the most popular. Cruise lines in general (except QM2) do not do TA to make money, they do them because they need the ship in the Caribbean in the winter and in Europe in the winter. They are not looking to make money, they are just selling them to recover a part of their costs in getting the ship to the other side of the pond.

In my present inside cabin I am paying something like $105 per day solo for the crossing, but it's still better for Celebrity than sailing with 1500 empty cabins. TA's are not for everyone but they are a great value, especially for people who love sea days. I also use them as a common yardstick for comparing cruise lines, having now sailed TA on Cunard, Crystal, HAL, Windstar, a freighter, and soon Celebrity.

Demand is also light compared to supply because there are a lot of ships sailing TA at very nearly the same time.

Thanks to all who have given me information.

Roy

Roy:

Less popular works perfect for me. May be I should cruise more TA after my retirement in few years. It is cheap, one way airfare could be more expensive than cruise fare.

Ricky

Roy:

Less popular works perfect for me. May be I should cruise more TA after my retirement in few years. It is cheap, one way airfare could be more expensive than cruise fare.

Ricky

I just upgraded to 1659 which seems to be a great, quiet cabin between 2 passenger decks. With Choice Air it was just over 2500 solo (1900 cruise and 650 air) for 2 weeks in Aqua and air. Don't think you can beat that.

Thanks to all for your input.

Roy

Archived