Shareholder Benefit

Cincicruiser

GOOD NEWS. Just finished reading Carnival's Annual Report and the Shareholder Benefit is "applicable on sailings through July 31, 2013".

Just curious...how do they verify that you have shares? I know you have to send in a statement or something but with all of the fraud now it would be easy to manipulate...

Just curious...how do they verify that you have shares? I know you have to send in a statement or something but with all of the fraud now it would be easy to manipulate...

I just send them a statement from the company holding the shares that has our name on it.

Why woul they need to verify it further?

In any case they might know that we are shareholders of record on the shares we own.

You send in your latest brokerage statement and if they really wanted to they could verify that you are a registered share owner.

Great news, thanks for posting, I've been waiting for this news.

Linda

?? Odd as this has been posted quite a few times now since last Friday. Good I guess to keep reposting as people don't read all the threads like I do. thanks for reposting

The annual meeting was what .. last Friday where this was extended.. even Laura's sticky on Carnival's earnings was taken down now.

My question is .. why would people not assume it will be extended going forward....it is every year. I dont know why people are worried.

My question is .. why would people not assume it will be extended going forward....it is every year. I dont know why people are worried.

Because there is always the chance it won't be, which is why it is voted on every year. If they can't turn around the start of the current downward earnings trend it could very well signal the end of it in the next couple years to start saving money wherever they can...

Because there is always the chance it won't be, which is why it is voted on every year. If they can't turn around the start of the current downward earnings trend it could very well signal the end of it in the next couple years to start saving money wherever they can...

I would more expect them to again get rid of the dividend which just came back last year to prop up the stock against falling earnings.

The OBC from the stock, if they wanted to slow down OBC, they could just do what RCL did and stop allowing it to be combined with other OBC like FCCs.

Thats more what I think would be done, just not allow it to be combined, not say ok, no more stock OBC.

I have no fear that it would not be extended .. just that it might not be allowed to be combined going forward.

You're looking at it the wrong way. If they took away the OBC, many causal stockholders who only hold onto the stock for the OBC would immediatly dump it, causing the share price to go down. They'll won't remove the OBC benefit.

You're looking at it the wrong way. If they took away the OBC, many causal stockholders who only hold onto the stock for the OBC would immediatly dump it, causing the share price to go down. They'll won't remove the OBC benefit.

Very true. At this point we keep it for the obc. Do not see much growth in the price over the next few years.

Maybe. But I think most "casual stockholders" wouldn't know it was discontinued until the next time they tried to use it. Average volume is 6million; how many shares are owned by "casual stockholders" vs total outstanding? I dunno, but CCL is up 3% today!! Almost neutral YTD, which is good considering all of the bad things. And there is that other elephant lurking in the room.

Maybe. But I think most "casual stockholders" wouldn't know it was discontinued until the next time they tried to use it. Average volume is 6million; how many shares are owned by "casual stockholders" vs total outstanding? I dunno, but CCL is up 3% today!! Almost neutral YTD, which is good considering all of the bad things. And there is that other elephant lurking in the room.

I hate to tell you this partner, but pretty much everything was up 3% yesterday:rolleyes: Steel stocks were up around 6%. Banks up more than that. And many of these stocks have much better profit outlooks and a respectable div. If you're happy with neutral YTD, good for you. If you want to wear rose colored glasses, go for it.

Good news! I figured they would continue to extend this benefit...

So... you are supposed to email your stockholder info 2 months (no sooner really) before a cruise. Wonder how this is going to work when we sail in August 2013?? Wonder if they will give the credit in June/July prior to the new approval NEXT year??

?? Odd as this has been posted quite a few times now since last Friday. Good I guess to keep reposting as people don't read all the threads like I do. thanks for reposting

The annual meeting was what .. last Friday where this was extended.. even Laura's sticky on Carnival's earnings was taken down now.

I'm not worried about this, I just have a cruise booked that I wanted to send my stock info in. I missed seeing it last Friday, and evidently the rest of the posts as well, guess I'll have to read a little closer.

I hate to tell you this partner, but pretty much everything was up 3% yesterday:rolleyes: Steel stocks were up around 6%. Banks up more than that. And many of these stocks have much better profit outlooks and a respectable div. If you're happy with neutral YTD, good for you. If you want to wear rose colored glasses, go for it.

No steel stocks for me yesterday, why didn't you tell me it was going to do that?;) But BAC was very good to me.

The point was more to where CCL could be based on collisions/fires/earnings/fuel costs.

Rose colored glasses? Perhaps, but OBC is essentially a dividend. So for me it's a 15+% annual dividend which beats the heck out of the cash acct I bought it from (in at $22). Wish all my investments made at least 15%.

No steel stocks for me yesterday, why didn't you tell me it was going to do that?;) But BAC was very good to me.

The point was more to where CCL could be based on collisions/fires/earnings/fuel costs.

Rose colored glasses? Perhaps, but OBC is essentially a dividend. So for me it's a 15+% annual dividend which beats the heck out of the cash acct I bought it from (in at $22). Wish all my investments made at least 15%.

US Steel is a great entry point, good company. Nice to see BAC bounce a little bit at least.

The OBC is a nice bonus for sure, but you can't really look at it as a divident since it isn't compounding. More of a hybrid cash payout I guess. If you cruise enough, 8+ times a year, it certainly makes a very nice bonus for people.

As far as an investment goes, it really depends on the price. What's a smart move at one price isn't at another. I loaded up on shares a couple years ago around $16. I was happy with that price. I unloaded most of those (kept 100 shares only) last year. Was happy with the results. I would not buy back it at the current price though. The profit outlook is not great, the div is not great and has a bad track record of payout. If the OBC is the only real bright spot of this stock, I would not pick it up. Again, the pricepoint on the 100 shares I hold is low enough that I am fine with holding on to them. But if I didn't hold any, I probably wouldn't buy in at the current price and outlook.

I just send them a statement from the company holding the shares that has our name on it.

Why woul they need to verify it further?

In any case they might know that we are shareholders of record on the shares we own.

Can I black out my account number and other things...I don't mind sending a statement of the stock, but not the value of my investment account and all of the other holdings...

I mean, as long as they can see CCL listed as one of the positions and my name that should be OK, right?

Can I black out my account number and other things...I don't mind sending a statement of the stock, but not the value of my investment account and all of the other holdings...

I mean, as long as they can see CCL listed as one of the positions and my name that should be OK, right?

Yes, no problem. They kind of expect that. As long as it's an account in your name and they can see how many shares you are carrying.

Yes, no problem. They kind of expect that. As long as it's an account in your name and they can see how many shares you are carrying.

I am just concerned because it is a joint account and I am the second person so not sure if they went to verify it would show...I know reporting is only done under the primary tax id number...

I am just concerned because it is a joint account and I am the second person so not sure if they went to verify it would show...I know reporting is only done under the primary tax id number...

As long as it is a JOINT account, and you are the only one from the account trying to make an OBC claim, you should be fine.

I always black out the other issues, account numbers, totals, etc. I leave my name, address, broker name & address, and any CCL info. Never any problem getting the OBC.

To the other poster who is worried about an August 2013 cruise vs the June 2013 "deadline", it's only March now. The benefit was extended at this year's annual meeting. Why would they wait 3-4 months later to extend it next year? It has been Carnival's standard practice to extend this benefit every year at their annual meeting since I started cruising and purchasing the stock (2004). Probably longer.

To the other poster who is worried about an August 2013 cruise vs the June 2013 "deadline", it's only March now. The benefit was extended at this year's annual meeting. Why would they wait 3-4 months later to extend it next year? It has been Carnival's standard practice to extend this benefit every year at their annual meeting since I started cruising and purchasing the stock (2004). Probably longer.

My apologies. :o Someone on another thread stated they would not vote again until July 2013. I failed to write that. Regardless, I will not worry about it. Thank you for your information.

Archived