CDN Currency to Euros - Canadians

I have read some threads from our friends in the US, but is there any Canadians that have experience with where the cheapest place to get Euros is?

I see lots tend to use their Credit Cards is this the best way, or should I just exchange here at our banks or find an ATM over there when I go in May? (My Ccard says it converts it receives the transaction in US then converts and 3% exchange fee hmm)

The rate today anyway is at about 1.37 Cdn per Euro. I paid through the nose last year when I went to Paris (1.43) and exchanged at the bank. I did use the ATM once and can't remember for sure but I thought I found that slightly cheaper.

So this time around I thought I would ask all you CDN Cruise experts. Thanks.

I check with my bank then with currency conversion place in the local mall (Continental Currency) & pick the one with the best rate

I use the ATM if I run low while abroad (debit card)

Be sure to notify your bank that you are travelling

TD is showing 1.3319 today

I check with my bank then with currency conversion place in the local mall (Continental Currency) & pick the one with the best rate

I use the ATM if I run low while abroad (debit card)

Be sure to notify your bank that you are travelling

TD is showing 1.3319 today

Thanks I seen that rate as well but it's not the actual rate they use when you go in the branch.:confused:

If you have a stock broker, ask them if they can change money for you. As for the rest of us who do not have enough stocks to worry about, I just bite the bullet and buy at home with a 60+ plan at my bank. I'm not a big fan of using my debit card overseas but I think that may be the cheapest way.

I opened an account at HSBC strictly for travel just in case my account gets comprimised

I only keep a small amount in the account I can transfer from another bank Online if I should need more money

At least the crooks will not get my savings ;)

I have read some threads from our friends in the US, but is there any Canadians that have experience with where the cheapest place to get Euros is?

I see lots tend to use their Credit Cards is this the best way, or should I just exchange here at our banks or find an ATM over there when I go in May? (My Ccard says it converts it receives the transaction in US then converts and 3% exchange fee hmm)

The rate today anyway is at about 1.37 Cdn per Euro. I paid through the nose last year when I went to Paris (1.43) and exchanged at the bank. I did use the ATM once and can't remember for sure but I thought I found that slightly cheaper.

how much are you actually going to be using? TBH, i've never found it worthwhile to convert a large amount ahead of time or at some specific place for a better rate. I spend a few thousand cash tops usually since everything else is paid for already or I charge it on my CC.

I just use ATMs and take out amounts I would need for the week wherever I am. I mean you'll save a few % tops converting it somewhere, but you'll have to carry the large amount on you and what if you don't use it all?

I rather pay like $10-$30 more per thousand dollars converted and just use ATM's

If you have a stock broker, ask them if they can change money for you. As for the rest of us who do not have enough stocks to worry about, I just bite the bullet and buy at home with a 60+ plan at my bank. I'm not a big fan of using my debit card overseas but I think that may be the cheapest way.

Well if I had money for stocks the exchange cost wouldn't bug me as much! lol thanks

how much are you actually going to be using? TBH, i've never found it worthwhile to convert a large amount ahead of time or at some specific place for a better rate. I spend a few thousand cash tops usually since everything else is paid for already or I charge it on my CC.

I just use ATMs and take out amounts I would need for the week wherever I am. I mean you'll save a few % tops converting it somewhere, but you'll have to carry the large amount on you and what if you don't use it all?

I rather pay like $10-$30 more per thousand dollars converted and just use ATM's

Well I need Eoros for my excursions and hotel and of course spending. I pay cash for everything as that way it is done and don't come home to a bill!

Today the posted rate was 1.29 lowest I have seen in along time so went to the bank and they charged 1.34. grrrr what a ripe off! will have to check around before I get more?

• 3 weeks later...

We are planning a Transatlantic cruise in the fall.

We have a Currency Exchange and have used it in the past to buy US Dollars. We got a much better exchange rate there than at the bank.

We most likely will buy some Euros at the Exchange and buy some Travellers' Cheques in US dollars to take with us. Since we are in our "Golden Years" we are not charged a fee for them.

About two years ago we opened up an account for US Dollars at one of the local banks which has served us very well.

We are planning a Transatlantic cruise in the fall.

We have a Currency Exchange and have used it in the past to buy US Dollars. We got a much better exchange rate there than at the bank.

We most likely will buy some Euros at the Exchange and buy some Travellers' Cheques in US dollars to take with us. Since we are in our "Golden Years" we are not charged a fee for them.

About two years ago we opened up an account for US Dollars at one of the local banks which has served us very well.

Yes I too have a US account, it's not the US rate right now that hurts it's the Euro, but today is the lowest I have seen it at 1.29 almost have all I will need but still need to grap some more hope it stays down..lol

Double check on the Travellers Cheques for acceptance if you are going to be using them in Europe as I hear they are hard to cash now. Unless you are just planning on changing them on the ship.

the Euro, but today is the lowest I have seen it at 1.29 almost have all I will need but still need to grap some more hope it stays down..lol

Oh Darn I missed it :eek:

I will have to start watching more now

I need some Euro for our June trip

I hope it stays down for a few more days till I get to the bank

Oh Darn I missed it :eek:

I will have to start watching more now

I need some Euro for our June trip

I hope it stays down for a few more days till I get to the bank

Yes I know the feeling, I sail in May. It is still at 1.2978 this morning. It's funny it seems like ever since the gas started going up this week the Euro went down.:eek:

Yes I know the feeling, I sail in May. It is still at 1.2978 this morning. It's funny it seems like ever since the gas started going up this week the Euro went down.:eek:

Yes the gas situation is a nightmare & only will get worse in the summer I fear

Remember the $1.50 L:eek:

I am going to check with my bank this week to make sure they have some Euro on hand so when the rate looks good I can jump

Enjoy the trip

Lyn

Yes the gas situation is a nightmare & only will get worse in the summer I fear

Remember the $1.50 L:eek:

I am going to check with my bank this week to make sure they have some Euro on hand so when the rate looks good I can jump

Enjoy the trip

Lyn

Enjoy yours as well!

Ann

Yes I too have a US account, it's not the US rate right now that hurts it's the Euro, but today is the lowest I have seen it at 1.29 almost have all I will need but still need to grap some more hope it stays down..lol

Double check on the Travellers Cheques for acceptance if you are going to be using them in Europe as I hear they are hard to cash now. Unless you are just planning on changing them on the ship.

I guess it is almost time to buy some Euros now. Yes, at times it is becoming more difficult to cash Travellers' Cheques. I have not been to Europe for about ten years.

I plan to cash these cheques on the ship if I need additonal funds. Hopefully there rate of exchange is going to be comparable. I hopefully won't make any large purchases in Europe. In that case I would use either my US or CAN currency credit card.

I have not contacted any touring company yet for our trip to Europe. Does anybody know if they will accept $ like they do in SA?

Ursula

I have not contacted any touring company yet for our trip to Europe. Does anybody know if they will accept $ like they do in SA?

Ursula

Most guides want local currency

In Russia you can give USD

Not sure on what Countries you are going to so hard to comment

Most guides want local currency

In Russia you can give USD

Not sure on what Countries you are going to so hard to comment

We are doing the Transatlantic Cruise: Spain, Morocco, Italy, Portugal, Gibraltar.

We got a phantastic deal with HAL. We were actually booked for SA and decided that we really wanted to do this one instead.:)

We are doing the Transatlantic Cruise: Spain, Morocco, Italy, Portugal, Gibraltar.

Most of those take the Euro

Official currency for Morocco is Moroccan Dirham

Gibralter =Gibralter pound.....they may also accept the Euro or GBP

enjoy

Most of those take the Euro

Official currency for Morocco is Moroccan Dirham

Gibralter =Gibralter pound.....they may also accept the Euro or GBP

enjoy

Thank you for all the information!:)

If you are doing private tours - some guides do take travellers cheques - check your terms of payment. for what it's worth, the exchange rate at the bank is LOWER for travellers cheques than for cash. (Cash is more expensive as you are 'paying' for the cost of shipping it and the rate risk when you buy)

• 1 month later...
If you are doing private tours - some guides do take travellers cheques - check your terms of payment. for what it's worth, the exchange rate at the bank is LOWER for travellers cheques than for cash. (Cash is more expensive as you are 'paying' for the cost of shipping it and the rate risk when you buy)

I simply use ATM machines and Credit Cards. Last fall I had to hunt in my wallet to find a "newer" credit card to pay a hotel bill. Many newer point of sale units in Europe do not work well with older credit cards that do not have chip + bin. Thankfully most Canadian banks have been moving to that.

Archived