Ordering from MDR menu in Blu on Summit?

Leo Jay

Does anyone who's actually sailed AQ class on Summit within the last few months have an answer to the question about whether diners in Blu can request items from the MDR menu? I'm reading conflicting information here; it seems to vary by ship, and whatever practice might have been in place on Summit before may not apply now for whatever reason. I'm not sure if the two dining facilities share a galley, or if that factors in. Thanks!

WHY would you want to???? The food in BLU is to die for!!!

Although when we had our grandchildren with us they did offer them chicken fingers or pizza if they did not want what was on the menu in BLU. But the grandchildren chose the menu items. So, I do know you could have chicken fingers or pizza.

WHY would you want to???? The food in BLU is to die for!!!

And....... The winner for LEAST HELPFUL reply of the week is in!!!!

To the OP, you are right, there are conflicting reports. Generally, it is not standard practice to be able to do so. If this is a strong desire, I would suggest talking with the wait staff in advance of your dinner seating in Blu. It would be ideal to know what you want from the MDR in advance, rather than simply ordering it when they are taking everyone elses orders. I'm confident with the right approach, this will be taken care of without difficulty.

Are there dietary restrictions in play here? One of our party on an upcoming cruise is vegetarian, and we had moved to a AQ cabin, and were looking forward to Blu. However, we got in touch with Celebrity and were told that while the MDR guarantees multiple vegetarian entrees every night, properly prepared, they could not extend the same guarantee to Blu. Different gallery apparently. So we're back in CC.

We were on the Summit two weeks ago and dined in Blu. You could order only from the MDR's classic (I think that is the word) menu, so escargot, shrimp cocktail, french onion soup, etc. You could not order items from the menu for the evening. Three of the classic main dishes- chicken, salmon, and a steak (I don't eat beef, so I can't recall) were on the Blu menu. For dessert there were also three options- new york cheesecake, apple pie ala mode, and yet another I can't remember (sorry!)- if you didn't care for that night's offerings. We asked on embarkation day and were assured by Martin that this would not be a problem. Sure enough, my husband ordered escargot and/or french onion soup a few times- usually from a different waiter- and never had a problem. We were also offered alternative items if someone noticed we weren't eating the item in front of us. Enjoy!

WOW multiple vegetarian entree options in the MDR? That's kind of stretching it. There is always ONE option (plus the every day Salmon choice if they are pesce-vegetarians ). There will be 1 soup and 1 salad and 1 appetizer vegetarian option ALMOST every day. (sometimes only 2 out of 3 categories will be vegetarian).

ORD you might do a search for the menus so that no one is disappointed that they don't have multiple vegetarian options. Maybe there's an entire vegetarian menu that I don't know about. And if you speak w/ the maitre'd ahead of time perhaps other choices can be arranged.

I am confused how grandkids ate in Blu since AQ cabins are only bookable for two--and isn't there a minimum age? I never saw any kids at all when we were there. I am thinking maybe suite pax? But still, seems odd if they were young enough to want chicken fingers and pizza like my 4 and 6 year old GK's do.

I am confused how grandkids ate in Blu since AQ cabins are only bookable for two--and isn't there a minimum age? I never saw any kids at all when we were there. I am thinking maybe suite pax? But still, seems odd if they were young enough to want chicken fingers and pizza like my 4 and 6 year old GK's do.

Suites guests and their children can also dine in Blu based on availability. I'm guessing if a family is staying in one of the elite suites they will not be turned away from Blu. We returned from the Eclispe on Saturaday and there was a family with young children in Blu every night.

If a family books 2 Aqua class cabins they are entitled to eat in Blu, but having said that we have never seen children in there, and we have had 5 cruises in Aqua.

On 37 cruises on various lines, never had a problem with children in the main dining rooms, which is more than can be said for some adults!

Richard

Children certainly are allowed in Blu however due to the two person in a cabin rule it is not something you see often. YOu many also see some who are in there from suites. Heres the rules below...This brings up a question that has not been answered yet and that is will the new AQ suites on Reflection accomadate more than two people...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3348&faqSubjectId=350

Are there age restrictions for Specialty Dining?

Yes. Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest, Qsine®, Bistro on Five, The Lawn Club Grill, and Tuscan Grille. Guests of any age will be accommodated in these five restaurants. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass®; staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Additionally, onboard Celebrity Solstice® Class ships, children that are at least 12 years old, and booked in suites, will be accommodated in Blu when dining with an adult, based on availability. Please note that any suite guests that dine in Blu will be charged a recommended gratuity of $5 per guest.

My question concerning Blu is, if you are going to eat at several of the specialty restaurants during a seven night cruise, is Blu (booking AQ class) still worth it?

Depends on the cost of your cabin. They very often have deals where Blu is cheaper than the CC cabins and occasionally even a veranda cabin. In those cases, I would certainly take it, eat at the specialties and eat in Blu whenever I can. If you intend on eating at Specialties every night, it really depends on how much you will enjoy the other benefits.

I just did a "phantom" booking on Reflection putting in two adults and one child and they gave me the pricing for all three in an Aqua Class suite. Obviously did not complete the booking but they did give me pricing for all three persons...

Children certainly are allowed in Blu however due to the two person in a cabin rule it is not something you see often. YOu many also see some who are in there from suites. Heres the rules below...This brings up a question that has not been answered yet and that is will the new AQ suites on Reflection accomadate more than two people...

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3348&faqSubjectId=350

Are there age restrictions for Specialty Dining?

Yes. Guests dining in Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants must be at least 12 years old, with the exception of Silk Harvest, Qsine®, Bistro on Five, The Lawn Club Grill, and Tuscan Grille. Guests of any age will be accommodated in these five restaurants. Also, children of any age that are booked in AquaClass®; staterooms are welcome to dine in Blu with an adult.

Additionally, onboard Celebrity Solstice® Class ships, children that are at least 12 years old, and booked in suites, will be accommodated in Blu when dining with an adult, based on availability. Please note that any suite guests that dine in Blu will be charged a recommended gratuity of $5 per guest.

Okay, that makes sense--I guess if parents booked two AQ cabins and (theoretically) the mom and one kid were in one and the dad and the other kid had one, you COULD have young kids in Blu. I just think of Blu as a more adult venue. . . and I don't MIND in any event, the comment just surprised me.

Thanks for the replies.

[clipped]

To the OP, you are right, there are conflicting reports. Generally, it is not standard practice to be able to do so. If this is a strong desire, I would suggest talking with the wait staff in advance of your dinner seating in Blu. It would be ideal to know what you want from the MDR in advance, rather than simply ordering it when they are taking everyone elses orders. I'm confident with the right approach, this will be taken care of without difficulty.

We wouldn't want to cause any inconvenience to the waitstaff or galley, so if that's an issue, fair enough; but if not, we might as well evaluate all the menu options available. We'll just politely ask our server and get a sense, but it's no big deal. Thanks again.

I guess if parents booked two AQ cabins and (theoretically) the mom and one kid were in one and the dad and the other kid had one, you COULD have young kids in Blu. I just think of Blu as a more adult venue.

I've seen children booked into AquaClass on several occasions...

• A single parent--once a mom, once a dad--traveling with one child...
  • A couple who booked three adjacent staterooms for themselves, their three children, and a nanny...
  • A couple traveling with an infant [which surprised me]...

In my experience, most of the children [and there still haven't been many] dining in Blu were sailing with suite guests [and then, mostly at breakfast]...

Depends on the cost of your cabin. They very often have deals where Blu is cheaper than the CC cabins and occasionally even a veranda cabin. In those cases, I would certainly take it, eat at the specialties and eat in Blu whenever I can. If you intend on eating at Specialties every night, it really depends on how much you will enjoy the other benefits.

Thanks! Pretty much what I was thinking. CC is very slightly less than AQ on the cruise I was looking at. Other dates around it was switched with AQ being slightly less. Probably a wash.

So, basically, go for AQ and Blu and enjoy specialty restaurants when you want! Just not every night. Got it! :D

Okay, that makes sense--I guess if parents booked two AQ cabins and (theoretically) the mom and one kid were in one and the dad and the other kid had one, you COULD have young kids in Blu. I just think of Blu as a more adult venue. . . and I don't MIND in any event, the comment just surprised me.

I don't know if you realize that you don't have to split up the parents and the kids, then can be in adjoining cabins.Celebrity allows that across all cabin categories.. In this particular case they would both have to be AQ cabins...

We wouldn't want to cause any inconvenience to the waitstaff or galley, so if that's an issue, fair enough; but if not, we might as well evaluate all the menu options available. We'll just politely ask our server and get a sense, but it's no big deal....

This is the approach I took one morning when I inquired about Eggs Benedict in Blu (not on the menu). After getting a blank look from my server, and some "hemming and hawing" I clearly got the impression that the server was looking for a discreet way to say "sorry, but we can't do that...", so I cancelled the order. Yet, other posters will doubtless come here and report having ordered Eggs Benedict in Blu. So, can you get an off-menu item?, probably yes; will it be a "big deal"?, perhaps.

This is the approach I took one morning when I inquired about Eggs Benedict in Blu (not on the menu). After getting a blank look from my server, and some "hemming and hawing" I clearly got the impression that the server was looking for a discreet way to say "sorry, but we can't do that...", so I cancelled the order. Yet, other posters will doubtless come here and report having ordered Eggs Benedict in Blu. So, can you get an off-menu item?, probably yes; will it be a "big deal"?, perhaps.
They would not get corned beef hash for my DH with his eggs.Just kept saying no it's not on our menu and we cannot get it.On the Solstice.Among a few other things they couldn't get like melted butter instead of that awful oil mixture for the dried out lobster tail.:(

Archived